Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For last year's words belong to last year's language,
And next year's words await another voice.
TS Eliot
Old Year and New Year by Christina Rossetti

New Year met me somewhat sad:
Old Year left me tired,
Stripped of favourite things I had
Baulked of much desired:
Yet further on my road to-day
God willing, further on my way.
Happy New Year

Your diary in LE forum

1261262263264265267»

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,396 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm very glad that I double checked the time of my flight. It actually leaves at 15.15 which I was thinking I had written in my planner as the time I needed to set off. And since the transport strike in France looks to be continuing again today, I will set off extra early, walking to the airport if I really have to. I expect Uber will still be operating, but who knows how long the thirty minute ride will take.

I feel sorry for everyone in France and the UK as December looks like it will be an eventful month regarding strikes.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 24,439 mod
    @mheredge II hope you arrived on time at the airport! I saw the news about the strike in France and it is a real strike.
    I was very fortunate on Friday that in Nice at least, no one seemed to be on strike @Paulette. I'm melting like an ice cream now in Colombo. And it's only 9am.
    @mheredge I would like to feel some warmth of Colombo here, because at the moment it rains and the temperature is only 2 degrees.
    People always want what they haven't got. It is very humid as well as hot here, so unless you are under a fan or in an icy air conditioned room, it is not that comfortable @Paulette. I feel as though I am melting.
    You are right @mheredge but don't be worry, I enjoy the warmth inside my house with all the candles and liights of my Christmas tree.
    Sounds lovely @Paulette. There are lots of churches here, a legacy of the Dutch and British influence. I visited a couple today, balancing out the two Buddhist temples I also visited. There's a super mosque I hope I get a chance to go inside. I passed it yesterday but we gave it a miss as the girl with us was wearing shorts and so not dressed appropriately.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭
    The temperature plunged below zero last night so there's black ice on the roads and pavements. Many people fell down this morning and I myself slipped several times.
    Yesterday was a very nice day, perhaps the first when it hasn't rained too. It's hot but there's a bit of a breeze. Later this afternoon my friend wants to go shopping in Galle, a very pretty old Dutch/Portuguese town nearby. I'm looking forward to revisiting this place as it's very attractive and on my first visit I was too busy sightseeing to look at the shops.
    edited December 2019
    Today we moved to our country house for the New Year holidays. Though the Monday and Tuesday are working days, we're going to be based here up to January, 8. My wife's classes are over for this year, while I can well drive to work from here.

We had a blackout this morning shortly after we had arrived. So I had to roll out a backup petrol generator to power up the most important appliances of the house, such as the furnace, the fridge, lights and a couple of wall sockets. Then I drove to a petrol pump to get some fuel, but when I returned, I found that the mains had been already powered. So, another unnecessary purchase.

All of these took an hour. So, they were probably fixing something unlike the last year, when they did rolling blackouts. Apparently, this gated community doesn't get a priority treatment.
    I have to say that I'm very happy to find no power cuts here @Practical_Severard. It's a nice changé from parts of India and Nepal. The heat means than having a fan becomes less a luxury and more like a necessity.
    edited December 2019
    mheredge said:

I have to say that I'm very happy to find no power cuts here @Practical_Severard. It's a nice changé from parts of India and Nepal.

It's nice to hear that!
    mheredge said:

The heat means than having a fan becomes less a luxury and more like a necessity.

I thought heat is fought with air conditioners nowdays, rather that simple ceiling fans.

I think this depends on how much people want to spend on air conditioning. It's cheap enough to install, but the electricity is expensive. My friend's place keeps cool enough by having through drafts and if it gets too warm, ceiling fans in the bedrooms are sufficient. To be honest, I far prefer this to the freezing temperatures of A/C.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I don't like air-conditioner either and always ask a taxi driver to switch it off. I always end up with a sore throat after sitting with one on.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, I am back. I have started working since two days ago, however, I love this job severly, because it was my dream since I was a child, by the way, I am an English teacher, precisely, I am a teacher to teach students who want to learn some items about IELTS.
    Welcome back @lisa . How have you been?
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,301 mod
    edited December 2019
    Congratulations @lisa. Look forward to seeing you on the Forum again. How's your baby?
    @lisa that's amazing to see you again on the forum. How are your two lovely girls?
    Tomorrow I am flying to Trivandrum, in the south of India. I confess to being a little nervous as it's the first time I will be getting my visa on arrival. I have the online visa confirmation email safe with my passport and ticket but as it's a new system, I'm worried about being let onto the plane.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭
    I spent with my family for three days and just returned to my apartment where I live alone. It's happy to see my old parents, and my brother's family, eating traditional foods, like soba noodle at ney year's eve, and osechi at the new year days.
    I've left Sri Lanka for India (and what a difference @Vok!) It's much more chaotic here, and sadly, despite all the sign boards telling people to avoid litter, it's much more dirty. However the people are very helpful and friendly in both places, and it's just as hot. I used to think Indian driving was the worst, but compared with Sri Lanka, they are no way as crazy!
    I guess it's not your first time in India @mheredge ? Would you say that it is more hygienic in Sri Lanka than in India?
    edited January 5
    Things are infinitely cleaner in Sri Lanka @Vok. There's a bit of litter, but in India it's a huge problem, even here in Kerala which has the reputation of being one of India's most progressive states. The toilets too, are not the nicest.
    Post edited by mheredge on
    It's a small world. A few days ago when I got on a train in south India, a French guy sat down next to who turned out to come from the same town in France - Nice. There are about 3 million inhabitants in Nice and 1.2 billion people in India!

Then today I was sitting in a little local library in Madurai where I was asked to register in the guest book. Maybe ten minutes later, a Portuguese friend I'd met 15 years ago in India came and took me by surprise. He'd seen my name and the librarian pointed me out to him. Though I knew he was in India, I had no idea he was in the same city.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭
    That's why we call it a globe @mheredge . Are you in (south)India? That's great. How are you coping up with the food there? Are you liking it or not?
    I'm loving the food @mohit_singh. It's delicious.

I'm hating Jio though. Probably in error, I was sold a simcard that won't work for voice or sms, only for data. Apparently, so they're now telling me, it's because I don't have an Indian phone. I'm more annoyed that I had to waste so much time and that the guys who sold it to me should have known.

But I had a very enjoyable day sightseeing in Trichy and plan to visit a few more temples tomorrow.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh! Its great that you are liking the food their. I once visited Hyderabad and when I went their in a restaurant with my colleague for the lunch. It was too cohesive. I liked the food but the way we have food is very different then north india. In the end they have to have curd to finish the lunch. @mheredge

Sorry to hear that Jio is not working on your phone. Though you can buy cheap Jio phones. It cost around 1500 INR as per my knowledge. If internet is working you can still survive. Isn't it!
    @mohit_singh I haven't needed voice or SMS at all. So far, the internet has worked really well.

I have just eaten a very good vegetarian thali North India style. I don't know why, but here at Auroville there seem to be quite a few North Indian restaurants.

I have spent an interesting morning discovering musical instruments that are made for dummies, easily played to make very nice sounds. I'm at Auroville, staying nearby the town or community complex. It's very nice there but they seem to have a lot of rules. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet here and will stay a few days at least.