Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Learn English in September

Your diary in LE forum

Comments

• lisalisa Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭
    The day before yesterday I bought a computer desk for myself and it has arrived today, because noone could do me a favor, I have to compose it by myself, now I am happy to edit this message on my new desk which is marvellous.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,939 mod
    Ooh! Aren't you clever! I think we should have a DIY badge @Teach
    I am tired to die today and have been fed up with my current life, all items related to housework and no one could do me a favor, days and days, months and months, to be honest, I have been confused with the purposes of my marriage.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,856 ✭✭✭✭
    I use VPN.lat Unlimited Free VPN, an app that I downloaded to my tablet from Playstore. It works extremely well, though I don't know how accessible apps are in China @lisa.

Yesterday I visited Sanremo in Italy with some friends. It was an extremely enjoyable day.
    @I'm dead tired today too @lisa, though I know it is just because I didn't sleep well last night. It was too hot and stupidly I started to read and before I knew it it was morning.
    I have not had a good sleep for a long time, in fact, I donot know the exact time that having a good sleep has been an enjoyment for me, maybe all moms with young babies are not able to have a good sleep.

@mheredge Can you imagine that I have not had any trips since I was back China? I even cannot enjoy a meal quietly, almost everytime I gulp down the food as soon as possible.

Slow eating is much better for you @lisa, though when you are always rushed, it is easier said than done. I try to sit with no distractions (no phone, tablet, laptop) on my terrace and eat as slowly as I can, savouring each mouthful. It's a little like mediation.

Also eating too quickly often leads to overeating, as your brain doesn’t have enough time to receive fullness signals. This is very much my problem.

But easier said than done when you have the demands of the family around you all the time.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-slow-eating#:~:text=The benefits of slow eating,weight gain, and lower satisfaction.
    @mheredge Slow eating is benefitial to my health, especially to my volnerable stomach, but my younger daughter was reluctant to cooperate with her mom in the passed two days.
    edited August 4
    @mheredge I have a question about "passed" and "past", those two words make me confused sometimes, for example, I am not sure whether it is right or not in the following sentence "my younger daughter was reluctant to cooperate with her mom in the passedtwo days."

Should I use "passed" or "past" ?
    Today I read a news about Megan, there are various gossips about her and her husband, but most of them are related to her. I donot have any bias about her, in my opinion, to stay or leave the royal family is true her and Prince Harry's private right.
    lisa said:

@mheredge I have a question about "passed" and "past", "my younger daughter was reluctant to cooperate with her mom in the pasttwo days."

The past is a noun referring to time in a time before.

Passed is the past tense of the verb to pass @lisa.

@mheredge Thanks

Hi guys, big news, there is one boy who is enrolled by Tsinghua university, and he graduated from the first senior middle of our county, is it marvellous? Believe it or not, he must be extreme wonderful, because the enrolled scores of my province (the enrolled scores are different according to different regions) is very high, and he,at least, should have gotten nearly 700, or more than 700 (the totoal scores are 750), or it is impossible he has been enrolled by Tsinghua university which is one of the most famous universities in China.
    lisa said:

@mheredge Thanks

Hi guys, big news, there is one boy who is enrolled at Tsinghua university, who has graduated from as the first senior from our county. Isn't this marvellous? Believe it or not, he must be extremely good, because the enrolled scores of my province (the enrolled scores are different according to different regions) are very high, and he at least, would have gotten (nearly 700?) more than 700 (the total scores are 750), or it would have been impossible he could be enrolled by Tsinghua university, which is one of the most famous universities in China.

I'm waiting for a new fridge/freezer to be delivered. It was supposed to have come yesterday, but I got a call from the delivery man to say his mate was off sick and that he had to reschedule the delivery to the same time today. I haven't heard anything so assume all is going to plan. The shop's tracking system confirmed the change of date, but didn't work when I tried to check further. I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs until they come, which should be any time in the next two hours.
    I bought two sockets which can be moved instead of being fixed on the wall, what is more, the prices are very cheap, I have to say the small electric items in China are vastly marvellous.
    @mheredge Thanks and has your new fridge arrived?
    It has @lisa, but I am a bit disappointed as already twice on the first day I have it, on two occasions, different shelves on the door have collapsed when I opened the door. My jars fell but very luckily did not break. I am really scared the bottle door shelf where I put bottles will do the same thing.

I can't imagine it is a design fault, but I am going to go to the store to see what they suggest not that they probably could care less. It is very strange as I cannot imagine that this happens normally, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way the shelves fit onto the door.
  • VokVok Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge It happens all the time with my fridge too. When I thrust the door open something invariably flies off the door's shelves. I always dodge back lest to get hurt. I've already riesigned to the idea that the design is at fault.
    I have taken out the jars and put non-breakable lightweight things in the two upper shelves @Vok, but there is not much I can do about the bottles unless I lie them on their side inside, which means I lose space for other things. I was thinking maybe I should glue it to the door! I am opening it gently, but I'm sure there will be a time when I forget. The fridge/freezer before last that I inherited when I bought the apartment (like the one I got rid of yesterday that was also falling to bits) had the same problem and one time I broke a bottle of wine when it fell. Such a waste!
  • VokVok Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I see @mheredge . You have more serious problem than me. That is my shelves stay in their place. It's just what I put inside keeps falling off. You'd better contact your supplier while the fridge is under warranty.
    I might have to do this @Vok.
    @mheredge It must be awful when you saw the jar falling from the shelves, the brand of my fridge as well as my air conditioners is Haier which is a very famous company around the world.
    edited August 9
    I think Haier is a good make @lisa. I open the door very carefully now, as its the bottles I am most afraid of falling. I think I should go to the store to complain but I am really doubtful they will do anything. I would even pay more for an alternative as it is a really nuisance not to be able to feel I can put jars in the shelves on the doors, especially as in all the marketing pictures they show even two rows of bottles on the door shelves.
    Post edited by mheredge on
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭
    Today we have a downpour and thunder in Tokyo. A thunderbolt caused a blackout in my neighborhood. Fortunately, the power restored about an hour later, but it was my first experience.
    I am sorry I have not been around for a couple of days but I escaped to the hills for a couple of nights with my little light weight tent. I ordered it online a week ago, so it was its virgin trip. It passed with flying colours. It took just a few minutes to put up and dissemble, and even though it rained a couple of times, kept me dry.
    @mheredge The CEO of Haier is a very interlligent man who made a momentous decision to dislodge all fridges which were not qualified in their first step of making new fridges, what was more, he refused to sell those goods to his employees with some discounts. Believe it or not, few employers could be able to make such decision in 1980s of China, at that time, a fridge was definitely a luxury, at least for most of Chinese families.
    My student is truant without any official reasons, maybe the only reason is his family is rich, which means he is able to do what he wants with the tolerance of his parents, for example, being absent from this IELTS writing class is acceptable although they have to pay RMB800 for just two hours.
    The question is @lisa, are you sure his parents know of his truancy? I had an IELTS student like this who though he was quite intelligent, used to play truant a lot and was lazy. Once we reported his absences to his parents however, he obviously was told off at home and started to come to class a lot more regularly.
    @mheredge his parents know his truancy, and his mom is in the learning group prepared for him, according to other teachers' messages, his parents "respect his decisions", from my perspective of view, they spoil him severely, no one knows when his classes could be finished, what is worse, he is reluctant to finish his homework, I donot think he will achieve his goal based on his behaviours.
    This morning my younger daughter was brought to get her vaccine, unfortunately, the weather was unpleasant, what was worse, I didnot take a taxi, the consequence was the little angel was not wet at all, but her mom took a rainy shower from head to feet, awful day. My older daughter was reluctant to learn new knowledge tonight, she was criticized by me, am I too strict? Because she is just less than 8 years old and she is keen on playing as well as enjoying cartoons.