Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

11.11 - Remembrance Day

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 10,707 mod
Today is Armistice Day.

"Lest we forget"

I'll remember Olive Cooke too; Britain’s longest serving poppy-seller who died last year.

Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭
    It reminds me of MARS session. We read about it in the last year. Time flies!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,707 mod
    Yes, @Bubbly , we read that last year. :(
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I even wasn't there. :(
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,937 mod
    edited November 2016
    As I told @rupsil in his session, I have always had to be silent for 8 minutes each year.

The Armistice of 11 November 1918 went into effect at 11 a.m. Paris time on 11 November 1918 ("the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month"), but in the UK they mark it at 11 o'clock British time, which is 12 noon in Germany. So I am silent for 2 minutes at 11 o'clock CET, and 11 o'clock GMT, and I do that on 11.11 and Remembrance Sunday.

In Germany there is no Remembrance Day, but they mark Volkstrauertag (literally translated: “the day of national grief”), which commemorates all victims of armed conflict and other violent oppressions collectively, both German and international. It is held two Sundays before the first day of Advent. This year it falls on the same day as Remembrance Sunday in the UK. :smile:
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,728 mod
    edited November 2016
    Why I should do that? I mean to remember things, it will make me feel bad.
    Of course you should feel bad, @aladdin .
    That's the meaning of this day. To not forget all the bad things which happened and still happen in the world.
    Not everything is rosy.
    I wonder in how many days and how many minutes you have to be silent if you live in New Zealand, @Lynne . :)
    BTW, do they remain silent for two minutes too in Germany? Or just one minute like here?
  • BubblyBubbly Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭
    @april I am impressed the way people still remember this day and share their positive gestures as well.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,407 mod
    I'm afraid this year the 11th of November went by in a blur as I was still jetlagged and running around like a crazy thing to prepare for going trekking the following day. But usually I try to remember it by wearing a poppy.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    11th of November is a Independence Day in Poland. From nineteenth and a part of twentieth century Poland was under occupation Germany Austria-Hungary and Russia. The defeat these countries in World War One allowed my country regain freedom.
    Do you also remember the world wars on this day too @nomad81? OR it it just your independence that is celebrated?
    @mheredge 11th of November is mainly celebrated as Independence Day nevertheless we also remember about victims of World War One because Polish soldiers fought on the all fronts this war.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,119 mod
    I am in a brass band so we led the remembrance parade, and I was very proud of that indeed. It was an honour to be a part of it.
    I remember that in my university faculty of history was an action consisting in prepare a list of soldiers' graves which could have been renovate. It concern not only Polish soldiers but also other nations' soldiers. Next was created a map with points where they are located.
    I have a friend who has visited the First World War cemeteries in France and Belgium. I think this must be very sad, seeing the huge numbers of graves. War is so senseless but humans don't seem very good at learning from their mistakes.
    edited November 2016

Only the dead have seen the end of the war. - Plato

edited November 2016
    Though this sounds very wise @april, I suppose it is also very obvious except if you take the awful legacy of war out of the equation.
    edited November 2016
    I watched "Black Hawk Down" yesterday and it reminds me of how horrible the war was.
    I think one of the character in the film said: "War will never stop in this world!"
    It's a horrible thought but I'm afraid it's the truth. :/
    Post edited by april on
    I think you're right @april. It's so sad how stupid humans are.
This discussion has been closed.