Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Beauty

ElfishElfish Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
@Lynne Ref. our conversation about my hair: Firstly I had my hair dyed with classic hairdye, but the red colour quickly washed out and turned into an orangeish shade. Not great. So I asked for an organic hairdye which is composed of essential oils and contains no ammonia or parabens. Strangely, the colour seems to fix better and not wash out!
Tagged:

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    It really suits you too. :)
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
    ;) thanks!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,889 mod
    What will be the next colour Elfish?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 0 Inactive
    Can you try it @Elfish? :D
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭
    I went for a very short hair cut as I was fed up with tying my hair back and also washing long hair when there was no hot water. So now it's so easy and a quick rub with the towel and it's dry. From being a brunette however, I am now white haired. Everyone seems to like it though and I can console myself that I've been going grey since I was 16.
    Oh @Helvio it's really cool but I'm afraid I won't get a job if I show up with a parrot like hair.
    @mheredge I don't know if organic hairdye covers grey hair well but maybe you could give it a try? If hairdressers in your country do use organic colour that is.
    Henna tends to look pretty gross on grey hair if the carrot-coloured hair I've seen in India is anything to go by. I have to say, I'm starting to get used to it. Okay I'm no George Clooney but it's not such a bad look.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,081 mod
    edited November 2013
    I'd love to have my hair like that, but I'm not sure how a client meeting would go if I did. I shall look around on Second Life.

I did the same @Marianne. When I knew we would be camping for over 3 weeks I had my hair cut quite short. It is much easier, but they do say it is a sign of aging. :D
    Anyone familiar with Holly River? thehollyriversshow.com/ She has had quite funny haircuts.
    I'm reverting to my childhood and teen years by having my hair short. If anything, short hair can take years off! Though the colour is a give away in my case!!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,978 mod
    When I was small my hair used to be quite short. Some people asumed I am boy. Those people who said that to me had been crossed out of my liking list.
    I used to get called a little boy all the time when I was small, for the same reason. But I didn't care. Of course in India, any woman with short hair is looked upon as being unusual and so here it's a common mistake. I still don't care though.
    I got my hair done, today. I left € 70,-- there. I had a nice warm pillow behind me and two cups of herbal tea.
    @Hermine 70 euros seems a bit expensive, but I guess you got the full monty for this price. :) And the warm pillow is a nice bonus. :)
    @Elfish I was paying 45-50 € ten years ago in France to get my hair done, so with inflation I guess 70 € sounds about par for course. And a bit of pampering goes a long way @Hermine.
    Well know that I think of it I think I spent 69 euros last time I went to the hairdresser. But I had a haircut, a hairdye, shampoo, conditioner, hair massage and blow dry.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,066 mod
    A hair massage @Elfish! That sounds interesting!
    edited December 2013
    I had a hair massage too but the apprentice was not so nice she was too sweet for my liking. She asked me a 100 times if everything is fine and sayed it with a weak voice and I had to ask her for repeating it 101 times. Our chemie didn`t fit together.
    You need good chemistry to have a head massage from someone.
    The barbers in India are famous for giving really good head massages.

Am I right thinking @amatsu, that improving the circulation on the scalp has a good effect on the health of the hair? Those magic potions for restoring hair growth - don't they work more on that principle than anything?

Not that I have any worries on that score as my hair is as thick as a brush!
  • HeknerHekner Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    "… the amount of maintenance involving hair is genuinely overwhelming. Sometimes I think that not having to worry about your hair anymore is the secret upside of death." (Nora Ephron)
    @mheredge - absolutely. But I think the most important thing is diet and regulating stress levels.
    I had a fairly skinhead haircut about six weeks ago and so as it grows fast, I needed another cut. A couple of days ago the young guy who cut it gave it a David Beckam style, which I didn't like very much (what a surprise!) so today I went and had it cut again. It's a few millimetres longer than a monk's hair cut!
    Did you know that a lot of cosmetic products content hormones?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't @Hermine
    Here a huge debate is running about it.
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what to think of it.
    I won`t take hormones without nowing it.
    Chickens and no doubt lots of other meat contain homones if you're not careful. I remember hearing a report once about New York taxi drivers developing boobs after all the Kentucky Fried (or some other brand) chicken they ate as a habit while on the job.
    Meat also contains a lot of anti-biotics which are still routinely given. At the moment I think we can still trust the 'organic'/'bio' labels and of course, growing your own. But then you would have to kill it too!
This discussion has been closed.