Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Random thoughts and topics

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 Inactive
    @mohit_singh @mheredge

Generally speaking, I think innovations and the advancement in technologies help people. It could save people's lives. It could save the environment.

I think the problem is in what we want in technological advancements. If what we look for is just quick, simple, and fun, I think we'll be in huge trouble. I don't deny the quick, simple, and fun aspect, but if it's just that and nothing else, we're morally going backwards, which will lead to more risks of losing control over technologies.

So, I'd say the technology itself is good to have and improve, but the purpose of the technologies also have to be questioned and matured, which is more on our side.
    This morning, as I was walking down the street, a thought suddenly occurred to me. I used to think that thinking in English was a good substitute to having an English conversation with a native speaker, especially when you don't have one. This morning, I thought taking a step further would be a better practice. That is to think in English, but to think in English ALOUD.

What a great idea, don't you think?
    I'm in Osaka now. I found a subway connection map at the Shin-Osaka Station. I remembered my daughter was planning to visit Osaka in March, so I took a sheet of it for her. I think it might come in handy when she plans ahead.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,175 Teacher
    @takafromtokyo thinking out loud in English is great practice, although it depends where you are. If you start talking to yourself in English on the subway, people might just think you are crazy. ;)
    @NatashaT
    Good point. First thing I need is a mask.
    Then, I'll try to keep the volume low.

Or, how about I hold my smartphone and pretend I'm talking on the phone!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo . Great idea but Skype is a better option. :D:D
    @mohit_singh

True! Skype is a better option, but if you don't have a chance to actually speak with someone, thinking out loud in English would be better than writing in English.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh
    I think the advance of technology can not be stopped, even if people are aware of the undesirable implication.

One of the reasons is competition. For example, the reason America rushed to develop nuclear bombs in WW2 was they feared that Germany finished it ahead of them. Given the overwhelming fear, how could they consider stopping it?

Even if a scientist stopped developing a potentially dangerous technology, some other scientists would not stop it anyway. Thinking in that way each other, none of them stop it after all. That's how competition goes.

I personally predict artificial intelligent will take over human beings in the future. But at the same time, I accept it's unavoidable. Technology realizes anything it can realize, whether it's good or bad.
    This side of innovation is also impossible to ignore. So, there would be no clear cut answer to question of good or bad. Because one coin have two faces. But which face is more dangerous and more often is predictable.

@Yellowtail @takafromtokyo @mheredge
    @mohit_singh

True! Skype is a better option, but if you don't have a chance to actually speak with someone, thinking out loud in English would be better than writing in English.

So, you wanna think your thoughts in English. Yes, that is indeed a good practice. I often do that. But problem with me is that I can't explain certain common daily practices in English. But questions like we are discussing here is easier to explain.
    @mohit_singh
    I agree with you that there are so many little things, basic things that I don't know how native English speakers would usually phrase. Those are something you can learn the best while living in the English speaking countries. I think watching TV dramas and movies would be a good substitute to that, even though not the same.
    When you're going to meet with someone and you realize you're getting nervous, you're expecting too much of yourself.

When it happens to you, remember that you are no more than who you are, you're not going to be more than who you are. Just try to be present with who you meet with instead. You have everything you need in yourself even though it might not be very clear to you. Let go of your expectations.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretending you're chatting to someone on your phone is a good idea, especially if you have your earphone (hands free). You would even need to hold your mobile as anyone looking will just assume you're plugged in to your phone @takafromtokyo.

Don't be nervous! I'm so envious I can't be with you all tonight. You'll have fun, I know it.
    @mheredge

We've just parted, and we've had a great time! They were such nice people. I didn't want to leave but we had no choice.

I hope for the happy and safe journey for them in Japan.
    I just realized that travelling is a new and innovative way of learning! I read it somewhere. Travelling is not only about going to beaches and sightseeing. It's more or less your experience with other people.

What you think guys! @takafromtokyo @mheredge @Yellowtail @kindgnice
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 8,042 mod
    I just realized that travelling is a new and innovative way of learning! I read it somewhere. Travelling is not only about going to beaches and sightseeing. It's more or less your experience with other people.

What you think guys! @takafromtokyo @mheredge @Yellowtail @kindgnice

Yes, and if I'm lucky to be selected by Japanese Government this coming May-June, I'm very glad to meet Taka and Shiny to expand my network. ;)@mohit_singh
    @mohit_singh @kindgnice

Indeed! Traveling and interacting with local people certainly gives you a new perspective on things!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 8,042 mod
    edited February 2017
    @mohit_singh @kindgnice

Indeed! Traveling and interacting with local people certainly gives you a new perspective on things!

Yes buddy! Currently, I'm in the wedding ceremony of my aunt. The church looks great and the venue looks wonderful! :)
    Don't you cry so hard, @kindgnice !!
    This morning, my youngest daughter said she'd like to have spaghetti with cod roe eggs for the supper in the evening. The precooked sauce that we had kept had now reduced to the last package, so I wrote our names on it with a permanent marker so that nobody can miss it.

I'm going to cook the spaghetti with my youngest daughter this evening!
    Are we invited to the supper party ? ;)@takafromtokyo
    Sure! Why not? I'll send you one with my super power! Haha!
    We all go through this life just once.
    Everything is destined to end one day.
    All the troubles and tiresome works are in fact, gifts that have been brought to you for some meaning.

It's your life.
    You deal with it with passion, and find the meaning.
    Every species having life have consciousness but active use of consciousness can only possible by human life.

@takafromtokyo @Paulette @prateek @Camvel @mheredge

Do you believe in this thought?
    @mohit_singh

This is a tough question. We have to first agree on what kind of activities are we going to call "the active use of consciousness". And once we've agreed on what to call the active consciousness, we need to agree on what is the standard of "having the ability to use consciousness actively".

Researchers have learned over the years that animals have their own ways of communication and they are actually communicating with each other. At this moment, we don't really know the depth and complexity of information those animals are giving and receiving among them, because what we think and see about communication is restricted to what we're familiar with such as language.

I don't completely deny the possibility that some kinds of animals, or even some plants as well, might be using their consciousness actively. It's just we don't know how to understand them at this point.
    If I will have to define active consciousness then it would be the ability to know the purpose of life.Ability to ask and answer the question like, who we are? where are we going? What's our ultimate purpose in this place?
    @takafromtokyo, Are you sure about that the animals and other life have the capability to ask and search for these questions and answer?
    @takafromtokyo
    In my point of view, Communication and consciousness are two different things. Consciousness is about knowing yourself. There could be other aspects as well which I don't know.
    @mohit_singh

Okay, I see. This is great. So, let's define "consciousness" here as "the subject's ability to know about oneself". Now, I think we can understand what we're discussing more clearly.

When can we say "we're using our consciousness actively"? What could be some more specific examples? When the weather is cold and you know that you're cold, I think we can say that we have consciousness. But I think that noticing I'm cold is not enough to say that I'm using my consciousness actively. Instead, maybe like if I think I need to put on extra clothes to keep myself warm and actually try to act on it, then we can say that I'm using my consciousness actively.

Now, let's go back to the original statement.

I think some animals can use their consciousness actively concerning the fact that animals can build their nests and fight for their territories.

What do you think? Would you include those examples in "active consciousness"?

@prateek @Paulette @Camvel @mheredge

• prateekprateek Posts: 243 Inactive
    @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @Paulette @mheredge

I have different perceptions over "Consciousness". First of all, I should explain that what I mean by Consciousness then after I will able to explain my views over an Active use of Consciousness.
    When we talk about Consciousness it has nothing to do with intent, emotion, thoughts, attitude, our actions. There is no consciousness in these. People think by changing their attitude there consciousness will change but it's like changing your clothes without noticing your body is dirty. I mean by changing attitude certain action will change and yes some positive benefits will be there like changing your clothes will make you looks good from far away but still when you get closer to anybody or in alone also when you smell yourself, you will find yourself disgusting as your body is still not cleaned and it doesn't matter to your body if you have changed the clothes or not. That means in change residue of past will remain ( changing your clothes doesn't solve your problem as you still stink) than how to remove that problem?
    This problem can be removed by transformation and transformation means that nothing of past will remain. ( means you have to take bath first then only changing clothes is going to work).
    So consciousness is that dimension which is the very source of who we are. Our intentions, our actions, our thoughts, our attitude are the consequence of that, on the other hand, we are trying to fix the consequence without fixing the source.(that means our consciousness give intentions to our body to take bath first and then we take action and get in the bath. Like this, our thoughts and attitude are build up for next action. Remember this all sequence of magic is happening from the source consciousness)
    Now come back to this thought

"Every species having life have consciousness but active use of consciousness can only possible by human life."

Now, It is simple thought with deep meaning attached to it. In this, though it is said that every species means even plants bacteria have consciousness. With the help of consciousness, they get emotions, actions to live there life like they meant to be but active use of consciousness is only in human. ( don't confuse yourself with the human with all the men and women of planet earth for example like the various terrorist groups in the different part of the world. They are not human at all.) Means as a human we can explore within yourself and have enlightenment. This process of having enlightenment can be called as active use of consciousness.
    Don't mistake intellect with consciousness. Intellect is different, you can't know any person with your intellect but from active consciousness, you can.

This topic is huge and got tons of examples. ( Please everybody let me know about my incorrect grammar or spelling mistakes. I will be very happy to know.)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,449 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh I totally agree that travelling is the best education you can have.

In the UK, schools penalise parents who take their children out of school to go on holiday during the school term. Interestingly however, in France, the education system makes it easy for parents to do exactly this, allowing them to take as much as year travelling as long as they follow the school curriculum with the parents teaching their kids on a home taught basis.

For children especially, time spent travelling is a far better education than sitting in a classroom and that maybe the British education system should allow more flexibility in their approach, judging on a case by case basis when parents want to take their children away during school term time.

I learn something new every time I go anywhere and even after spending a lot of time in a place, still find new things to discover all the time.