Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Random thoughts and topics

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 27,505 mod
    @takafromtokyo here I am very quickly to meet your wishes. My feelings are quiet and a bit happy because I saw after the rain a rainbow and the sun is shinning now. I think the rainbow was a magic sign of my little granddaughter.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 Inactive
    @Paulette
    Thanks for your quick response! Haha!
    I’d assume the rainbow was extra beautiful in the sky. RIP

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,449 ✭✭✭✭
    I know only too well how my thumb usually gets in the way of the hammer, especially when I am trying to bag nails into the walls to put my pictures up @Pauline.

As for carpentry @takafromtokyo, I'm always all fingers and thumbs.
    @mheredge
    Thanks for the idiom. I posted an example sentence in the phrases and idioms thread for practice.
    :)
    edited November 2017
    To improve your English writing skills, you should try to write as much and often as you can. Write about your thoughts. Write about your feelings. Try to explain things in English. Keep using words.

You want to be able to come up with English words and phrases immediately and automatically as you see things or you think of anything.

But writing is not enough. You should try to learn how natives say what you want to say in English. For that purpose, reading articles and listening to radio programs or watching TV shows will come as a great help. You should try to pick up what words and phrases they use and try using it yourself.
    @takafromtokyo spot on.

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 27,505 mod
    @takafromtokyo what a wise words you wrote to us. And as a good student I am following up immediately your wise advice and I want to say at you that I have enjoyed the performance of a choir and an orkest who brought the 'Armed Man' from Jenkins, it was breathtaking.
    @Paulette
    “Breathtaking” is one good word that you reminded me of using. I think I haven’t used this word for years since I learned this word. (Does that mean I haven’t experienced anything breathtaking since then??)

When I wake up and leave my house early in the morning, I see the starry sky, and as time goes on, the colors change from blue, orange to gold. When the sky is clear, the color shifting is such a breathtaking sight to see!
    'Gobsmacking' is a colloquial version of the same @takafromtokyo!
    How can one learn a new language? How can one learn new words or phrases? Are we really able to learn them without actually using them?

If you don’t have anyone to speak in English to, what is your second option? Is waiting for someone to show up and start talking to you in English?

My second best option is to write in English and practice how to use new words. I hope there were more people who can join me; I think that would be fun!!

Wouldn’t you think so, too?

What is your methods for learning English?
    I think speaking English is the only way to really remember new vocabulary and phrases @takafromtokyo. I find personally, writing helps but isn't so good for getting words to really stick.
    @mheredge
    Definitely! I think it’s impossible for us to master a language without actually using it. Speaking is absolutely the best way, because it’s fast, which means you can practice more if you speak compared to if you write.

But if you can’t speak due to certain restrictions, then writing would be the best option. If writing is the only option you have now, then I think you should keep writing as much as you can.

So, that’s why I’m writing.
    @mheredge @Teach @Paulette
    I was wondering...
    When exactly is this forum going to be shut down? How much time do we still have?
    Could you let me know if you know?

I was googling yahoo news and learned that there was another mass shootings in West Texas the other day. At least 7 people were killed and 21 injured. The gunman had been confirmed dead, I'm not sure if he had been shot donw by the police or had killed himself, and his motivation is not know at this time.

Why do people in the US have such an easy access to guns? Those killing devices evolve each day, and one day before you know, a gunman could hold a gun capable of blowing up the whole city.
    That's the hundred million dollar question @takafromtokyo. I think almost every country in the world can't understand the American obsession with gun ownership, especially in the face of all the killings that continue to go on.
    @mheredge
    I’ve seen in the past on TV how police in the USA looked like when they patrol in the city, but they looked almost like an armed force. They need to upgrade their weapons because some bad guys they might encounter down the street could carry some powerful guns.
    Does anyone know what a rowing machine is? Also what kind of a charity this guy was holding?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/outrage-after-british-ex-marine-leaves-rowing-machine-on-mont-blanc-154314738.html

A rowing machine is an exercise machine where you can perform the same exercise as you would rowing but without a boat @takafromtokyo.

I'm going to the place where Buddha was born. I have to remind myself to be patient and zen-like. It's hard when the bus gets a puncture thirty minutes before reaching our destination.
    @mheredge
    Thanks for your explanation. Now I know what a rowing machine is. But then I get a next question. There was a picture attached to the article where the guy was standing in front of the rowing machine, and I thought it was huge; about the size of a big truck, the one you’ll probably see at a construction site.

It looked like huge to me, but I might be wrong.

Sorry to hear that your bus had a flat tire. Were you successful in being zen-like?
    I was about 45 minutes from my final destination. The sun was almost down by the time I arrived so it was a bit annoying. But today I have made up for it by spending the day in Buddhist monasteries. The Japanese peace pagoda here is especially beautiful @takafromtokyo.
    @mheredge
    I forgot what pagoda was so I looked it up in the dictionary. It says a pagoda is a Buddhist temple with several levels with decorated roofs on each level. So, I guess what you visited yesterday kind of looked like a tower, right? I didn’t know they had a Japanese pagoda in a place so far away from Japan.
    They have built them all over the world @takafromtokyo.
    I think I’ll try to get to work by afternoon today. I’m sure the train and other public transportation is going to be a chaos today after the storm, and they say it’s going to be really hot like mad. The weather news says it’s going to be “dangerously” hot once the storm has passed. Plus, the highways are closed until we don’t know when.
    In Paris I understand that it is chaos due to the metro staff going on strike. A lot of people had to go to work by bicycle @takafromtokyo.
    mheredge wrote: »
    In Paris I understand that it is chaos due to the metro staff going on strike. A lot of people had to go to work by bicycle @takafromtokyo.

Then the strike might have contributed to make people healthier in a sense.
    The chaos in Paris even disrupted the world climate change demonstrations which was a shame.
    There's a dog barking, maybe in protest against the road engineering noises which really shouldn't be disrupting the night so late.
  • sammanisammani Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    I am wasting my time in front of the television because of university non-academic strikes.I feel like sick :'(
    Oh @sammani what's happening? Are the non teaching staff at your university striking?