Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 20 February 2017 - How tuberculosis shaped Victorian fashion

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,060 Teacher
We read an article about the effects that tuberculosis had on fashion during the 1800s:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-tuberculosis-shaped-victorian-fashion-180959029/

Vocabulary Top 10:

protagonist - the main character in a novel, play, movie, etc; an important person who is involved in a competition, conflict, or cause

epidemic - an occurrence in which a disease spreads very quickly and affects a large number of people

aestheticization - represent something as being beautiful or artistically pleasing

entwined - twisted together or around something

1800s = eighteen hundreds (talking about the whole century)

ushered in - happened at the beginning of something, such as a period of activity, and usually helped cause it

waifish - very thin

whiskers - the hair that grows on a man's face (beard and mustache)

pioneering - using new and better ideas for the first time

hemline - the bottom edge of a dress, skirt, or coat

What other things have influenced fashion (for both women and men)? What is something that used to be fashionable in your country but isn´t anymore, and why did it change?

Comments

• NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,060 Teacher
    @Bassa @Monik @somaia @roromao83 @april @menna @ManLearner @Bobmendez @aladdin @christelle @Shiny03 @Just-Learn

What do you think about Victorian fashion? For both women and men?
  • MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    @NatashaT Actually, I had no idea about the link between tuberculosis and Victorian fashion. :o

On the other hand, I consider some trends or fad pretty dangerous. It seems that people don't care about the consequences of wearing certain type of clothing or accesories, some women and men just hurt themselves deliberately.

In my country, we have had a lot of trends, but fashion changes constantly so it's easy to move to one thing to the other. For instance, I'm not fond of tattoos, although they look cool I can't imagine my body full of them, permanent things like these are not my thing! :smiley:

@Monik I agree, some trends can be dangerous - one of the reasons Victorian women fainted a lot was because their corsets were so tight, and they couldn´t breathe! I´ve seen that corsets are becoming fashionable again in some places, but I hope people don´t take it to such extremes.

And if you are going to follow a fashion fad, it´s better if it´s a temporary one, not a permanent one like a tattoo!! :D
  • MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @NatashaT That's true.. Corsets make the silhouette looks perfect! But OMG it should be painful LOL Not to mention that you'll always need some extra help to lace up one of those. :tired_face:
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Don't you think us human is so unpredictable, strange and sick sometimes? The perception of beauty (beauty standard) has changed from time to time depending on various reasons. I remember I read the novel, Camille, while in junior high school. I was preoccupied with its world which the author tried to depict (or create) beauty is hidden in sickness and sadness. I admit I once dreamed to become a girl like her in that novel, ill, weak but strong(?). (Yay, I was stupid.) I mean we all kind of live under the world of ideal beauty created purposely by few specific people's desire.

It's so ironic that feminists held women's movement and spend years to try to set free women's body from distorted fashion / aesthetic beauty (aestheticization); however, after centuries still women want to have slender shape, in advance, back to bad and old habits (evil practices?) and started abusing their own bodies. The recession of women's liberation?

Gone with the Wind

Extreme Model Has SIX RIBS Removed In World's Smallest Waist Bid

edited February 2017
    The symbols of female subjugation:

Foot Binding
    It was considered to be attractive that women have tiny feet and dainty walk in China.

Corset

Burqa and niqab

edited February 2017
    NatashaT said:

I´ve seen that corsets are becoming fashionable again in some places, but I hope people don´t take it to such extremes.

In my opinion, unfortunately, corset never declined; on the contrary, they are always there lurking around every corner and wait for a chance to reverse the game. What's more, they're coming back to the fashion, because those stupid celebrities wear it as a performance:(
    The corset trend is back

Emma Watson wears corset in the movie, Beauty and the Beast

Just post the links. I'm not going to post those celebrities in a corset which might encourage some misthoughts.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,889 mod
    Victorian fashion?
    It can be beautiful and nice to see the ladies wearing those gowns in a ball, but honestly, it is not very comfortable to wear them the whole day, is it?
    What a suffering to live in Victorian era for women!
    I'm glad I'm just a simple lady in the 21st century. :D
    However, should I worry because you all said that the corset trend is back?
    Should I start doing aerobic and starve myself to get that waify waist?
    No thank you, not even in hundred years! :)

What about Men's Victorian fashion?
    I don't think Men's fashion changes a lot through the years.
    A longer whisker, thicker sideburns; longer or shorter hair and that's all, right?
    We really need Men's opinion in this case, I think. :D
    april said:

We really need Men's opinion in this case, I think. :D

@Rema It's your turn. showtime. :smiley:
    I am confused. Hernan mentioned geisha, but I don't think it has anything to do with this topic or foot binding. I've never heard that geisha is related to small feet. Maybe I missed something there. Could you tell me about it, Natasha? Maybe I should just send you a message to untangle my confusion.
    @Shiny03 don´t you think it´s ironic you are asking me this question? ;)

I don´t think foot binding was done by geishas, just by the Chinese.
    Thank you Natasha. I was thinking there might be something I didn't know or misheard. Maybe I am just a square and take it too seriously.

Later I considered again, maybe they do have one thing in common. Ultimately, they were all about male sexual satisfaction.... :worried: