Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What are you doing now?

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 19,969 mod
    @mheredge I wish you a good flight homeward. How many hours needs the plane to fly for it arrive in the UK?
  • VokVok Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    [quote="mheredge;c-279788"]Hi @Vok! Have you started another job or are you still looking? I hope things aren't too tough. [/quote]
    Yes, I have! But it's almost the same job I've been doing for the last nine years. For that reason, I've put out feelers again and I'm looking for the other opportunities.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,119 mod
    Right now I am trying to get a little bit of work done so that I can go out and do some shopping with my partner later. We have been needing to go for quite a while, so it is something that I am looking forward to quite a lot really.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,341 mod
    Good luck in your job-hunting @Vok.

I'm sitting in my favourite cafe in my hometown right now. It is nice to see it so busy. I like this place because the staff are very friendly here. They are mostly from Romania and Ukraine and when the lace is not so hectic, we always have a chat. Even though I just come here a few times a year, they always remember me.
    Right now I am getting ready to go and see some family. I haven't seen them for a couple of weeks so it should be nice to have a catch up.
    I'm hoping that it won't rain too much as we're going out soon. I have an umbrella.
    I am waiting for my partner to get home from work as we are going to have a look at somewhere that we could run our business from, which I am quite excited about.
    I'm drying out after getting a bit damp from our walk by the sea to St Michaels Mount. Later we're going to see a movie and then we'll go to a nice fish restaurant. off season Penzance is a very nice place to be.
    Right now I am thinking about what to make for dinner, and I am inspired to try a new sausage recipe that I have, so I think that is what I am going to make tonight!
    I have just had dinner that my friend cooked. It's not very late but we've been on the go all day so we might just watch a movie tonight.
    Right now I am trying to book an appointment to have my car seen at a garage, but I have been waiting for them to pick up the phone for a long time.
    I am getting ready to go out to find a couple of picture frames for two pictures that I brought back from Nepal.
    mheredge said:

I am getting ready to go out to find a couple of picture frames for two pictures that I brought back from Nepal.

Did you buy the pictures, or do you mean they are photos which you took yourself while you were there?
    edited February 11
    I bought a couple of paintings made by women there. I discovered that I have a frame that should do for one of them, but the other one is a bit of an awkward dimension and I think I will have to get a frame made to measure @GemmaRowlands.

This is it.

and this lady painted it:

mheredge said:

I bought a couple of paintings made by women there. I discovered that I have a frame that should do for one of them, but the other one is a bit of an awkward dimension and I think I will have to get a frame made to measure @GemmaRowlands.

This is it.

and this lady painted it:

Oh wow I really like those. She is clearly a talented lady, and it is good that you will be able to display some of her work in your home.
    I had to wait for the paint to finish drying on this painting! They put a fan near it to speed up the process.
    mheredge said:

I had to wait for the paint to finish drying on this painting! They put a fan near it to speed up the process.

That's clever to speed it up. They always say that nothing is more boring than watching paint dry, and I have to say that is quite true!
    It's like watching the kettle boil!
    mheredge said:

It's like watching the kettle boil!

I do that all the time as well, as I get impatient when I am making a cup of tea. I make a lot of tea, so I spend a lot of time looking at my kettle!
  • FellFell Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Hello people! I am just trying to improve my english. Do you have any app to help with conversation?
    You have prompted me to put the kettle on for another cup of tea @GemmaRowlands. But I'm going to multi-task and finish a comment here while it boils!
    Fell said:

Hello people! I am just trying to improve my english. Do you have any app to help with conversation?

It's good that you wish to improve your English, and I am sure that being active on this forum will be a great way to do it.
    I am mulling over ideas on how to write about homestays in Nepal. A friend posted on Facebook some pictures of a new place I had never heard of. I will have to wait until my return in the autumn before I can check it out.
    I have just got home from walking around the shops which I enjoyed - and we even stopped for a cup of tea and a cake!
    I am about to run down to the shops as I need to get some coffee. It was so embarrassing when I offered my neighbour a coffee after lunch, only to find that I had finished it this morning!
    mheredge said:

I am about to run down to the shops as I need to get some coffee. It was so embarrassing when I offered my neighbour a coffee after lunch, only to find that I had finished it this morning!

I don't drink coffee myself, so it is very rare that I actually have any in to offer guests. I should buy a small pot really.
    You can usually find tiny jars of instant @GemmaRowlands and sealed, these last for a long time. As I like real coffee, I don't have any myself, but then as I like coffee so much, I very rarely run out of it. I try always to make sure this never happens.
    mheredge said:

You can usually find tiny jars of instant @GemmaRowlands and sealed, these last for a long time. As I like real coffee, I don't have any myself, but then as I like coffee so much, I very rarely run out of it. I try always to make sure this never happens.

I have always found that if I leave coffee for a while, even in a jar, it sort of clumps together, making it really difficult to get out when anyone wants a cup.
    That's if it gets damp. I had a jar someone left once that set rock hard.
    mheredge said:

That's if it gets damp. I had a jar someone left once that set rock hard.

Oh right okay, I mustn't have put the top of the jar on properly if that's the case. I will have to be more careful with that!