Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What are you doing now?

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 21,766 mod
    @mheredge I wish you a good flight homeward. How many hours needs the plane to fly for it arrive in the UK?
  • VokVok Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭
    [quote="mheredge;c-279788"]Hi @Vok! Have you started another job or are you still looking? I hope things aren't too tough. [/quote]
    Yes, I have! But it's almost the same job I've been doing for the last nine years. For that reason, I've put out feelers again and I'm looking for the other opportunities.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,740 mod
    Right now I am trying to get a little bit of work done so that I can go out and do some shopping with my partner later. We have been needing to go for quite a while, so it is something that I am looking forward to quite a lot really.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,146 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck in your job-hunting @Vok.

I'm sitting in my favourite cafe in my hometown right now. It is nice to see it so busy. I like this place because the staff are very friendly here. They are mostly from Romania and Ukraine and when the lace is not so hectic, we always have a chat. Even though I just come here a few times a year, they always remember me.
    Right now I am getting ready to go and see some family. I haven't seen them for a couple of weeks so it should be nice to have a catch up.
    I'm hoping that it won't rain too much as we're going out soon. I have an umbrella.
    I am waiting for my partner to get home from work as we are going to have a look at somewhere that we could run our business from, which I am quite excited about.
    I'm drying out after getting a bit damp from our walk by the sea to St Michaels Mount. Later we're going to see a movie and then we'll go to a nice fish restaurant. off season Penzance is a very nice place to be.
    Right now I am thinking about what to make for dinner, and I am inspired to try a new sausage recipe that I have, so I think that is what I am going to make tonight!
    I have just had dinner that my friend cooked. It's not very late but we've been on the go all day so we might just watch a movie tonight.
    Right now I am trying to book an appointment to have my car seen at a garage, but I have been waiting for them to pick up the phone for a long time.
    I am getting ready to go out to find a couple of picture frames for two pictures that I brought back from Nepal.
    mheredge said:

I am getting ready to go out to find a couple of picture frames for two pictures that I brought back from Nepal.

Did you buy the pictures, or do you mean they are photos which you took yourself while you were there?
    edited February 11
    I bought a couple of paintings made by women there. I discovered that I have a frame that should do for one of them, but the other one is a bit of an awkward dimension and I think I will have to get a frame made to measure @GemmaRowlands.

This is it.

and this lady painted it:

mheredge said:

I bought a couple of paintings made by women there. I discovered that I have a frame that should do for one of them, but the other one is a bit of an awkward dimension and I think I will have to get a frame made to measure @GemmaRowlands.

This is it.

and this lady painted it:

Oh wow I really like those. She is clearly a talented lady, and it is good that you will be able to display some of her work in your home.
    I had to wait for the paint to finish drying on this painting! They put a fan near it to speed up the process.
    mheredge said:

I had to wait for the paint to finish drying on this painting! They put a fan near it to speed up the process.

That's clever to speed it up. They always say that nothing is more boring than watching paint dry, and I have to say that is quite true!
    It's like watching the kettle boil!
    mheredge said:

It's like watching the kettle boil!

I do that all the time as well, as I get impatient when I am making a cup of tea. I make a lot of tea, so I spend a lot of time looking at my kettle!
  • FellFell Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Hello people! I am just trying to improve my english. Do you have any app to help with conversation?
    You have prompted me to put the kettle on for another cup of tea @GemmaRowlands. But I'm going to multi-task and finish a comment here while it boils!
    Fell said:

Hello people! I am just trying to improve my english. Do you have any app to help with conversation?

It's good that you wish to improve your English, and I am sure that being active on this forum will be a great way to do it.
    I am mulling over ideas on how to write about homestays in Nepal. A friend posted on Facebook some pictures of a new place I had never heard of. I will have to wait until my return in the autumn before I can check it out.
    I have just got home from walking around the shops which I enjoyed - and we even stopped for a cup of tea and a cake!
    I am about to run down to the shops as I need to get some coffee. It was so embarrassing when I offered my neighbour a coffee after lunch, only to find that I had finished it this morning!
    mheredge said:

I am about to run down to the shops as I need to get some coffee. It was so embarrassing when I offered my neighbour a coffee after lunch, only to find that I had finished it this morning!

I don't drink coffee myself, so it is very rare that I actually have any in to offer guests. I should buy a small pot really.
    You can usually find tiny jars of instant @GemmaRowlands and sealed, these last for a long time. As I like real coffee, I don't have any myself, but then as I like coffee so much, I very rarely run out of it. I try always to make sure this never happens.
    mheredge said:

You can usually find tiny jars of instant @GemmaRowlands and sealed, these last for a long time. As I like real coffee, I don't have any myself, but then as I like coffee so much, I very rarely run out of it. I try always to make sure this never happens.

I have always found that if I leave coffee for a while, even in a jar, it sort of clumps together, making it really difficult to get out when anyone wants a cup.
    That's if it gets damp. I had a jar someone left once that set rock hard.
    mheredge said:

That's if it gets damp. I had a jar someone left once that set rock hard.

Oh right okay, I mustn't have put the top of the jar on properly if that's the case. I will have to be more careful with that!