Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What are you doing now?

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 Inactive
    edited November 2017
    I’m about to go to sleep now. I was watching videos on YouTube trying to figure out what Christmas song I want to sing for the next song that I’ll post. I’ve decided Whits Christmas would be nice! I’m going to start practicing the song tomorrow.

I’m about to go to sleep now. I was watching videos on YouTube trying to figure out what Christmas song I want to sing next. I’ve decided White Christmas would be nice! I’m going to start practising the song tomorrow before I post it.
    Post edited by Teach on
    I’m at a clothing shop now. I’m waiting for my wife to pick some new winter clothes for my youngest daughter. They’ve been in the fitting room to try on several items.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,057 mod
    I hope they found something they like, but what about you @takafromtokyo? Did you get some nice, cosy winter clothing too?
    @Lynne
    Thanks for your corrections!

Yes, they finally found what they wanted. I guess it took us about an hour. But don’t worry, I chose mine, too. It only took a few minutes to pick mine, since I already had pretty much particular image in my mind about what I’d want to get. I flipped through the clothes on the rack, and I found one that matched perfectly to my imagination.

By the way, it only took me a few minutes at the store last night, but I’ve been looking for this perfect one for 4 or 5 years now. So, I guess my wife and my daughter choose their clothes much quicker than I.
    edited November 2017
    I’m on my way home now to put my car back in the parking lot. I completely forgot about the drinking appointment tonight. I need to bring my car back to my house and leave it there and come back to visit several clients. What a waste of time!

But come to think of it, this might give me good chance of stopping by a bookstore to find a new diary. I want to renew it for the coming year.
    I’m at a train station now, and the train just arrived, and I just got on. It’s about 40-minute ride, so it’s going to be just about noontime when I reach Shinjuku. Then I’ll stop by a bookstore to check out the 2018 diaries, and buy one if I find a good one.
    @asifbappy
    Hi, there! I thought this would be one easy place to practice writing English, so I invited you here.
    Write about what you’re just doing. It’s easy, isn’t it?
    I just bought a new diary for 2018. I wanted to buy a little bit bigger one, but somehow they didn’t have the size that was perfect. They were all just a little bit small. Well, I guess I’ll have to learn to write with tiny letters.

Do you keep a diary to manage your schedules?

@Practical_Severard @mheredge @Yellowtail
    I got to the Shinjuku station and it was all full of people. I didn’t notice it until after I had entered the station. They said there had been some kind of an injury accident at a different station, and the trains had been stopped.

I got out the station and now I’m on a different line. Good thing is that the train system in Metropolitan Tokyo is like a spiderweb. Even if there’s a problem at one place, you can find a way around it, and it doesn’t make much difference in terms of how long it takes to get where you want.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭
    > @takafromtokyo said:
    >
    > Do you keep a diary to manage your schedules?
    >

I use a computer program since I spend behind a desk most of the worktime. If I've made some notes at a meeting, I type them aftewards.
    @Practical_Severard
    You seem to be very good at computers. I think we call a person like you a tech-savvy, right?
    edited November 2017
    > @takafromtokyo said:
    > You seem to be very good at computers. I think we call a person like you a tech-savvy, right?

I guess so https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tech-savvy
    On one other hand all people now have to use computers, including blue-collar jobs. On the other, scheduling is always very personal and people need to find out themselves what suits them best.

Also, if a person notes something exclusively for personal use, often just few words is enough to ignite his memory. These words would work as mental 'anchor'. So you could probably save space in your diary writing just few words like: "Suzuki" "dinner" "purchase".
  • asifbappyasifbappy Posts: 19 ✭✭
    @takafromtokyo I think I'm the most lazy people you have ever met. My android device is my best friend. And I love its company. It's also love to be with me except college time. But I'm afraid I don't know how to made good use of it. Hope you will help me.
    @Practical_Severard
    Yes, but that trigger technique has been working less for me over the years. I need lots of keywords to remind me of what I wrote down as my schedule. So, I started using a pen with thinner point.
    @asifbappy
    Is this android device of yours a smartphone?
    If so, is there any reason that you don’t use it while you’re at college?

I’m not good at technological gadgets, but here’s what I use my smartphone for. I use it for work, googling, and language exchange sites. I also use it to look words up in online dictionaries and watching YouTube videos.

They have lots of TED episodes on YouTube, so I think you might want to watch them.
    @Practical_Severard @asifbappy @madhug @Paulette

It’s 5 in the morning, and I’m on the train to Shinyokohama right now. I’m going to Nagoya today by Shinkansen bullet train. If nothing goes wrong, I’ll reach Nagoya by 7:30, which gives me enough time to prepare for today’s work.

Do you think I’m leaving too early in the morning?
    ψ(`∇´)ψ
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 21,766 mod
    @takafromtokyo you are a morning man and I admire such a guy because I am also a morning woman. In the time I was still at work I get up at five o'clock in the morning to start at my work at eight o'clock, because I couldn't leave my house in disorder.
    And now I am retired and I get up at six o'clock in the morning and first at all I do my household tasks of everyday and then I can spend time for others things that I like more.
    @Paulette
    Waking up early gives you an advantage to enjoy your life more than staying in bed till noon!

Have fun with your courses and other things that entertain you!
    I’m at a cafe in Nagoya Station now. I’m going to get down to work now, so see you later guys!
    Have a great day!ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
    @takafromtokyo you are a hardworking man you wake up early in the morning, on the other hand I don't even think about wake up at 5. What kind of work you do?
    @asifbappy
    I’m a salesperson. I sell industrial chemicals to retailers and merchants.

What about you?
    @takafromtokyo I am a student, diploma student actually. My subject is Marine Engineering
    edited November 2017
    > @takafromtokyo said:

> It’s 5 in the morning, and I’m on the train to Shinyokohama right now. I’m going to Nagoya today by Shinkansen bullet train. If nothing goes wrong, I’ll reach Nagoya by 7:30, which gives me enough time to prepare for today’s work.
    >
    > Do you think I’m leaving too early in the morning?
    > ψ(`∇´)ψ

I hope its's a business trip, because spending two and half hours every day to make it to work and back home doesn't sound funny at all!
    @asifbappy
    What are the things covered by Marine Engineering? Do you discuss about ships?
    @Practical_Severard
    Haha! You’re right. Spending two and a half hours just to get to your office every day would be nothing to laugh about. But, yes, I’m on a business trip today. I’m at Shin-Osaka Station, waiting for my Shinkansen to go home. It leaves here at 7:30 PM.
    @takafromtokyo our college provides three kind of courses.
    1.ship building (they designed ship)
    2.deck cadet (they navigate ship, people called them captain)
    3. engine side ( they work to produce energy which drive ship)
    @asifbappy

Thanks for your explanation. So, basically, marine engineering sounds like related to ships, right?

Do you like ships? Do you want to be a mechanic? Perhaps build a ship of your own?
    @takafromtokyo I like ship
    I’m back home finally. It’s midnight now. I’ve got to go to bed.
  • ArifaArifa Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I have just had my dinner with my family and after having dinner I am writing on this forum and watching tv at the same time.

----------------------

I have just had my dinner with my family, and having finished dinner I am writing on this forum and watching TV at the same time.
    Post edited by Teach on