Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Where are you from?

1121314151618»

Comments

• LucasSLucasS Posts: 8
    @mheredge I was born in Bahia (Salvador is capital there), but currently I live in State of São Paulo, more specifically in São Paulo City. I think that you know much more of Brazil than me, it's awesome. Nice to meet you :smiley:
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,341 mod
    I didn't spend more than one night in Sao Paulo @LucasS. I stayed in a hostel on the recommendation of a Brazilian couple I had met on the airport bus. It was very good.
    The bells of the Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Nice are pealing loudly. There must be something important happening, like a wedding or christening, as usually they don't ring out like this.

• ydogan85ydogan85 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I'm from Istanbul. It is a big and crowded city inTurkei. There are about 25 million people in the city so it is more crowded than many countries. There are many historical buildings and tourist attractions in Istanbul. It used to be a great city but it is too crowded and there is traffic jam almost everywhere. There are too many cars and buildings and there is not enough green area.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 19,969 mod
    @ydogan85 - That is a very busy town, there are less citizens in my whole country, Belgium, than in your capital.
    I learned about Istanbul in the lessons history about the earlier city name Constantinople as capital of the Byzantine empire and I was very facinated about it.
    Are there still remains of those times to visite?
    @Paulette yes there are lots of remains of those times however Istanbul is not the capital of Turkei. Our capital city is Ankara.
    I passed through Istanbul last year @ydogan85 but only spent one night (in Taksim). I stayed a couple of weeks in the 1990s, but I could see how much has changed since then. I often fly with Turkish Airways when I go to Nepal and next time I will try to break my journey to spend a bit longer in Istanbul.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,119 mod
    ydogan85 said:

I'm from Istanbul. It is a big and crowded city inTurkei. There are about 25 million people in the city so it is more crowded than many countries. There are many historical buildings and tourist attractions in Istanbul. It used to be a great city but it is too crowded and there is traffic jam almost everywhere. There are too many cars and buildings and there is not enough green area.

Your city is very popular with people from England when it comes to going on holiday. I know a lot of people who have chosen to visit!
    it is very popular all over the Europe. nowadays arabic people are everywhere
  • vchungvchung Posts: 10 ✭✭
    i am from indonesia but currently living in thailand
    Hello @vchung I am from Belgium in Europe, a long distance away of Thailand where it is warm now I think. Here it is raining and proximately 10 degrees.
    @Paulette nice to meet you...
    10 degrees and rain definitely will make me stay inside the whole day :D

It's hot here now as April is the hottest month in Thailand. If you like summer you should come here around April and experience the Songkran festival where you can play water gun with strangers, get soaked and burnt. LOL
    @vchung thanks for your replay, also nice to meet you, I think you are a girl? :) Here it is now noon. What time is it in Thailand at the moment? What I know from Thailand is that it is a kingdom and that the religion is most buddhism.
    @Paulette it's 6.30 pm now. Yes you're right.. Thailand is a kingdom and majority of thai are buddhist. How about belgium?
    @vchung Belgium is a very small country and predominantly christian,but the group of Muslims is increasing.
    A few weeks ago I visited a Buddhist temple in our capital Brussels and I was very impressed by the splendor of the Tibitian temple and also by the symbolism of Buddhism that says: “It is the inside that counts, you always have to look inside. "For example, they want to state that everything comes down to their own responsibility and decision. You don't have to do anything, you alone decide on your own self "
    @Paulette as i'm writing this, i'm looking at the map of belgium and surprised that it is indeed a small country. I heard about belgium a lot of time so i thought it is a big country.
    In buddhism we believe that you are responsible for everything happened in your life, literally everything! I found it very unique but logical at the same time 😊
    @vchung I love the logic of Buddhism. And I think it must make adherents take better care of how they behave towards others.
  • JuliannaJulianna Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Hi guys, I'm from Ukraine, but 3 years ago I emigrated to USA and live now here. I would like to improve my English with you.
    @Julianna what a shame you moved! I am going to Ukraine for a few days of holiday in about a month.
    mheredge, Family is the most important thing, I couldn't live my whole life apart from my husband and child.
    I can still go on holiday to Ukraine at any time
    I am planning to visit Odessa and Kiev @Julianna. I have never been there before.
    I very love Kiev!
    Julianna said:

I very love Kiev!

@Julianna 'I love Kiev very much.'

What do you love most about it?