Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Where are you from?

Comments

• ydogan85ydogan85 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    @Paulette yes there are lots of remains of those times however Istanbul is not the capital of Turkei. Our capital city is Ankara.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,146 ✭✭✭✭
    I passed through Istanbul last year @ydogan85 but only spent one night (in Taksim). I stayed a couple of weeks in the 1990s, but I could see how much has changed since then. I often fly with Turkish Airways when I go to Nepal and next time I will try to break my journey to spend a bit longer in Istanbul.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,740 mod
    ydogan85 said:

I'm from Istanbul. It is a big and crowded city inTurkei. There are about 25 million people in the city so it is more crowded than many countries. There are many historical buildings and tourist attractions in Istanbul. It used to be a great city but it is too crowded and there is traffic jam almost everywhere. There are too many cars and buildings and there is not enough green area.

Your city is very popular with people from England when it comes to going on holiday. I know a lot of people who have chosen to visit!
  • ydogan85ydogan85 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    it is very popular all over the Europe. nowadays arabic people are everywhere
  • vchungvchung Posts: 10 ✭✭
    i am from indonesia but currently living in thailand
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 21,766 mod
    Hello @vchung I am from Belgium in Europe, a long distance away of Thailand where it is warm now I think. Here it is raining and proximately 10 degrees.
    @Paulette nice to meet you...
    10 degrees and rain definitely will make me stay inside the whole day :D

It's hot here now as April is the hottest month in Thailand. If you like summer you should come here around April and experience the Songkran festival where you can play water gun with strangers, get soaked and burnt. LOL
    @vchung thanks for your replay, also nice to meet you, I think you are a girl? :) Here it is now noon. What time is it in Thailand at the moment? What I know from Thailand is that it is a kingdom and that the religion is most buddhism.
    @Paulette it's 6.30 pm now. Yes you're right.. Thailand is a kingdom and majority of thai are buddhist. How about belgium?
    @vchung Belgium is a very small country and predominantly christian,but the group of Muslims is increasing.
    A few weeks ago I visited a Buddhist temple in our capital Brussels and I was very impressed by the splendor of the Tibitian temple and also by the symbolism of Buddhism that says: “It is the inside that counts, you always have to look inside. "For example, they want to state that everything comes down to their own responsibility and decision. You don't have to do anything, you alone decide on your own self "
    @Paulette as i'm writing this, i'm looking at the map of belgium and surprised that it is indeed a small country. I heard about belgium a lot of time so i thought it is a big country.
    In buddhism we believe that you are responsible for everything happened in your life, literally everything! I found it very unique but logical at the same time 😊
    @vchung I love the logic of Buddhism. And I think it must make adherents take better care of how they behave towards others.
  • JuliannaJulianna Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Hi guys, I'm from Ukraine, but 3 years ago I emigrated to USA and live now here. I would like to improve my English with you.
    @Julianna what a shame you moved! I am going to Ukraine for a few days of holiday in about a month.
    mheredge, Family is the most important thing, I couldn't live my whole life apart from my husband and child.
    I can still go on holiday to Ukraine at any time
    I am planning to visit Odessa and Kiev @Julianna. I have never been there before.
    I very love Kiev!
    Julianna said:

I very love Kiev!

@Julianna 'I love Kiev very much.'

What do you love most about it?
    Thanks for the correction, I like people in the Kiev, how open they are and it is always interesting to communicate with them. I also like the special atmosphere of the city, its parks, ponds, various music festivals or, for example, the high-heeled 100 meters race. It's funny! Every weekend in the parks held some kind of event and always different. And in Kiev, a very good circus, you can choose the show exactly what you like, there are a lot of them.
    I have never been to the circus @Julianna, but I don't like to see performing animals. I enjoy walking in parks though, as it is always so interesting to see families out and about.
    There are not many animal shows in the circus, sometimes horses, lions, tigers or elephants. But mostly there are acrobats, equilibrists and clowns, each show is built on a specific theme, such as the Pharaohs in ancient Egypt or the last days of Pompeii.
    I will look out for any performances when I am there @Julianna. I am still waiting for the bus company at www.maximov.com to reply but I think I have found the schedule HERE and the bus to go to Odessa runs on Wednesdays and Saturdays only at 1400, so reaching Constanta three hours later. I hope the translation app on my laptop translated the Ukrainian correctly. Would you mind please having a look and telling me if I have understood it correctly?
    Sure, no problem. I can see your translation. The bus ride will not be very comfortable, wasn’t there a train? Due to the current difficulties in the Ukrainian economy, the bus will most likely be very old (from the time of the dinosaur) and your trip on it can be stressful.
  • JanjardJanjard Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I am from the Netherlands. I come from the north of that small country and more precisely from Groningen city.
    Most people live in the west of the Netherlands on the coast and just behind it. Westerners find Groningen City far away. It is about two or three hours by train.

The Netherlands has approximately 17 million inhabitants and is therefore densely populated. The west is the most populated. It is there where you can, if you are unlucky, be stuck in traffic for hours when you go to work by car and vice versa.

About fifty years ago, the Netherlands was predominantly white. That time has now passed. The population is particularly mixed in large cities. I like it. It is important that people live well together.
    Nice to meet you, Janjard. I was interested to learn about your country. What language do you speak?
  • JanjardJanjard Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for responding to my message.

I've been on this forum for a while (two years), but I had never done anything with this section. I am a very irregular visitor. Sometimes I am a fanatic for a while, but if I have another job, I renounce.

I just read your previous posts here. I saw you started April 14. So you are here just a short time. Welcome, nice to meet you. Following what you already wrote, I wondered if your husband is American.

Now an answer to your question.
    The working language in the Netherlands is Dutch. 25 million people in Europe seem to speak Dutch. In Belgium, in the Flemish part, it is also the official language. You have one child? Is it a boy or a girl? And what is his/her age?
  • juancarlos_lopezjuancarlos_lopez Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Hi. I'm from Spain. I live in a village near Madrid. It is a quiet place surrounded by mountains to which I came fleeing the noise and stress of the city. When I left Madrid I lost a lot of things, I lost contact with the people in the street, the possibility of reading in any of the thousands of cafes that Madrid has, the pleasure of going to the cinema or theatre frequently. I used to watch movies in the original language with subtitles (in the 90's that was unusual) in a beautiful and charming decorated place called Cine Doré. Madrid is a city full of history, of streets to walk aimlessly, sometimes invaded by a vibrant activity. When I moved I gained other things. I won hundreds of routes through the countryside in the company of my dog, I won a range of smells until then hidden and the possibility of delighting in nature and its seasons. Among the seasons I prefer autumn. I enjoy the sound of the leaves of the oaks that cover the ground and the flashes of light in the forest when the afternoon arrives. The worst thing about my little village is that it is dying, growing old inside, unable to have initiatives that make people, for example, take a walk in its streets, greet each other, or talk on a terrace under the sound of birds. Those responsible for managing these things show enormous neglect. So I usually go to nearby villages in search of cozy corners where I can feel comfortable. Well, I hope these brushstrokes give you an idea of where I live.
    @juancarlos_lopez you live in a quit place with a beautiful nature, certainly for your dog too because you can take a walk in the forest with him. You description of the nature is so lovely, I can me this area vividly imagine. You have a nice writing style.
    But you are right if you say it is so sad that there is no more initiative and that the village is dying. Are there too little young people or is there a lot of unemployment?
  • juancarlos_lopezjuancarlos_lopez Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Unfortunately my dog is gone. He died four months ago. In fact, he was already in the care of my former girlfriend. But I keep thinking about him every time I go back to places we shared for so long, like the stream I was in this morning. It was called Ory, which is the name of a mountain on top of an impressive beech forest in northern Spain, called "la selva de Irati" (Navarra).

As for your question, the answer is no. There is a varied spectrum of ages here and the employment rate is not very different from the rest of the region. Many of us work for companies in the capital. My small town is part of the belt of dormitory towns surrounding Madrid. That means that more than half of the people who live here have come from outside. And that also means that, for reasons that are difficult to explain, the behaviour towards us of some of the people who were born here comes close to hostility (I suppose it is due to the mixture of feeling invaded and visceral rejection of any change that comes from a "stranger"). I'm sure that for a good part of my neighbors I'm still a "stranger", a "freak" of the capital, despite living here for twenty years.

On the other hand, I must confess that without the help of a translator I would not be able to move half of what is reflected here. Until I correct my many errors, especially grammatical errors, I won’t intend to test my confidence. I'm not in a hurry. I think that confidence will come on its own (well, also taking the time).

I like to write and take care of what I write in my mother tongue (Spanish). In fact, I have already published a book. I guess that's what you mean by style. @Paulette thank you very much for responding to my comments. It's very kind of you and of course it gives me confidence to keep participating.