Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 28 February 2017 - Instamom

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,092 Teacher
We read an article about a woman who become famous through Instagram:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/03/instamom/513827/

Vocabulary Top 10:

stop short of (something) - not go as far as (some extreme action); come close to doing something but don´t do it

milestone - an important point in the progress or development of something

deceptively simple - can mean either: easy in reality, but not in appearance; Or: easy in appearance but not in reality

lithe - slim body; moving in an easy and graceful way

mundane - dull and ordinary, everyday things

clique - a small group of people who spend time together and who are not friendly to other people

epitomize - to be a perfect example or representation of something

dish on/about (something) - to talk about the personal life of someone else; gossip

divulge - to make (information) known : to give (information) to someone

whitewash - to prevent people from learning the truth about something

Do you know any famous social media influencers? Why do you think they are so popular?

Comments

• MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    @NatashaT It's amazing how social media has brought up new characters into our lives. Indeed there a lot of people working on it, so you'll find plenty of them talking or commenting about anything related to the daily situations or common stuff that we all must deal with.

One of these social influers are Youtubers. They're taking the world by storm. Even when some of them do stupid things, they have thousands and hundreds of followers supportting them. The most famous Youtubers make a living just by uploading videos and making comments!! To some extend I see this as positive. In the end we can choose what to watch, who to follow or we can even become like some of them. ;)

Not to mention that the most famous ones earn some millions a year! Not bad ah?

• Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not that active in social media! but I like to follow some famous pages or persons for learning, educating or having fun! I'm not interested in the kind of influencers that just sharing their photos of daily life I'm not interested at all! I mean I can spend time watching my photos :D why I care to other family life!

Answering your question @NatashaT , about their popularity, I return it to human curiosity, we like to see real stories, the same concept of the real story movies, once we hear that a movie is based on a real story we give it more attention. besides that some of these influencers have a charisma that strongly attract.

I can be attracted only by their nice smooth honest nature.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the vocabulary
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am curious about how people think of the internet. Do they keep this in mind (are they thinking) all the time, this is real or this is virtual, like we read novels? (I mean to consider what's real before they read / watch before or after reading / watching on the internet.) Or they just drop into another world and don't know where they are? Or they are just being hypnotized? Kind of like, the more they read / watch, the more they believe what they read / watch. So, I asked, 'do you separate real world and virtual world?', in session.

In my opinion, people tend to believe what they want to believe; therefore, even others think it's not in reality, they (or their brain) had rather believe it's true. For example, some people fancy a life like those celebrities have, so they believe what they see the world those celebrities try to create. Same as those bloggers, youtubers, twitters and so on. What's more, the number of your followers has become something these days. They would do anything to increase the number. Frankly speaking, I neither support nor oppose the internet world. Even the internet is a two-edged sword, we still need it without doubt.
This discussion has been closed.