Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For last year's words belong to last year's language,
And next year's words await another voice.
TS Eliot
Old Year and New Year by Christina Rossetti

New Year met me somewhat sad:
Old Year left me tired,
Stripped of favourite things I had
Baulked of much desired:
Yet further on my road to-day
God willing, further on my way.
Happy New Year

Snobbery

Here is a word discussed

snobbery

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/snobbery.html

Comments

• jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive
    such a word used often in England
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,301 mod
    There are different kinds of snobbery. I'll admit I'm a snob about some things, but I try not to be a snob about people.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There are different kinds of snobbery, really? This would mean that we're all a bit snobbish. What kind of snob am I? Bugger, I'm afraid of exploring further on this topic.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,560 mod
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    People tend to think themselves or the group that they belong to be right or superior to others. I think it's quite natural for people to think that way. I think that kind of tendency comes from the decision making system that is built in our mind, which is "do what you think is right". If you flip it like "do what you think is wrong", then it'll immediately makes it difficult for us to even just to breathe or turn our head to whatever directions we want to look.

I think this general tendency could lead to people acting snobbish sometimes.

Hopefully not @takafromtokyo.

I have been hanging around the LEN community for years and sort of belong to this community, but I don't think that LEN members are right or are superior to others and I'm quite happy that the Network is open to anyone. I don't believe in such things as right and wrong.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @Zom

That's the way!
    I love this community because of its friendliness and open-mindedness. I hope this community continues to keep its quality; I firmly believe that it's mainly up to us members to remain such a way consciously.
    edited March 2017
    Consciously? Does it mean it's not a second nature for you @takafromtokyo? ;) ^^
    Post edited by Zom on
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Societies everywhere are very driven by social class or caste (India and Nepal for example). My perception of Scandinavian countries like Norway, Sweden and Denmark (I don't know much about Finland) is they might be less class conscious than most places, but for someone who lives there, maybe it's still not perfect.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    The behavior or attitude of people who think they are better than other people: the behavior or attitude of snobs.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    > @jackelliot said:
    > No social class, intellectual category or art form is immune to the snob virus.

I guess the British aristocracy is the social stratum least prone to be snobs. Why would they be if their high social standing is obvious to everyone? But those on the lower steps of the social ladder are another issue. Usually, the less educated and poorly bread a person is, the more he tries to establish himself in the eyes of the others. And he does it over really petty differences, as you've noted in your blog.

A quote from my book of stereotypes:
    "They [the Englishmen] consider haughtiness, arrogance, and conceit - especially towards one' inferiors - as intolerable. To emphasise one's membership of the upper classes is not done - others must be left to sense it themselves. And one of indication is, indeed, a tendence to remain in the background. [...] Fox-hunting, grouse-shooting, salmon- and trout-fishing all take place on distant country estates [...]. Royal Ascot is one of few exceptions..."
    "Britain Observed: A Russian's View" By V. V. Ovchinnikov, p. 102
    https://books.google.ru/books?redir_esc=y&id=JCeoBQAAQBAJ&q=inferior#v=snippet&q=inferiors&f=false

Hereditary privileges usually go with the "Noblesse oblige" adherence.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,412 ✭✭✭✭
    This video is an interesting analysis of the word 'orientalism.'

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/when-will-we-stop-stereotyping-people/p06p97cr