Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Exotic food

2»

Comments

• YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    @jackelliot
    Seriously? How do they make it? Don't tell me the flog leg is raw!
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive
    @Yellowtail cooked or raw frog leg ice cream is a delicacy
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 38,238 ✭✭✭✭
    There are limits @jackelliot - even I wouldn't go for snail or frogleg ice cream, though I have had garlic ice cream in London at a garlic restaurant in Soho and it was very nice.
  • maykmayk Posts: 155 Inactive
    one the best exotic I've ever eat was the fried frog. but here in my country some people eat cockroach, rat, worm, dragon fly, bat, tadpole fish, snake.
    Bat? I've never heard of anyone eating bat before @mayk. What does it taste like?

I have eaten marmot, which in Europe people don't seem to eat (or not any more). I tried it in Mongolia where people commonly eat these animals.
    Yap, I don't know what the taste is, cause I didn't taste it. As per them it taste like chicken, I don't know. According to them all animals eat fruits for food, are safe to eat.
    Are there any animals that are unfit for human consumption? I know some plants are poisonous but I wasn't aware there were any animals that might not be edible @mayk.
  • WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Today my husband made for dinner shrimps. In my zone it is still exotic food. We eat shrimps and sea food seldom because we live far away from warm countries and here are only frozen sea food.
    Being by the Mediterranean sea @Wirginia, we're very lucky and have all sorts of fresh fish available all the time. Some looks very weird though and I still can't work out all the different kinds of squid, octopus and other cephalopods.

• WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    Fresh sea food and fish are tasting better than frozen. When I was in Greece few years ago I ate first time in my life fresh big shrimps. It was wery delicious. But when I eat sea food in Poland it never taste the same like then in Greece.
    @mheredge tadpole fish and snake are poisonous animal and very dangerous to eat. But here in my country they have a technic how to remove poison to those animals and they eat safe. I don't know too if there's animal that unfit for human consumption, nowadays people are very experimental and presuming to do what they think.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-40046698/scientists-warn-about-vietnam-pig-s-blood-delicacy

Has anyone tried Vietnamese pig blood jelly? Reportedly, It can cause serious infectious disease, and experts are now definitely warning that you should not eat it.
    I heard some people drink turtles' blood in my country, and it makes them very energetic.
    Oh dear, poor turtles @Yellowtail. Like bits of tiger and rhino horn which are also supposed to hold these sort of powers, it is the endangered animals' fate to be hunted for what is surely not more than superstition. What a shame rats' whiskers are not more popular. This might help keep the rodent population down.
    Here are some ideas for using less common ingredients.

Most of these I have not even heard of, still less ever used. The only ones I have used are as follows:

Celeriac is one I do know as it is eaten quite a bit in France, especially grated as a salad.
    Fennel seeds too, are something I have in my spice rack.
    Tamarind paste I used when I was in Thailand, but I'm not sure it is easy to find anywhere other than in an Asian delicatessen.
    I use dried fruit all the time, and sometimes cook with beer (and wine).
    Nettles I love but please, someone tell me where I can find them! I eat these in the mountains in Nepal where they are cooked to make a wonderful soup.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/nov/08/from-offal-to-nettles-chefs-on-the-best-underused-ingredients-to-try-at-home?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xODExMDk=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
    My friend gave me some sanglier or wild boar that had son had shot while hunting a few weeks ago. It may be related to the pig family but the meat tastes quite different, more like beef. I cooked it slowly in red wine with potatoes, mushrooms and carrots.

edited January 8
    I had rat for dinner last night. apparently it was a field rat rather than a house rat (I didn't realise that there was a difference ). It was very tasty, cooked with onion and tomato, and spices. It went down very nicely with a glass of rice wine.

The Tharu people eat rat quite typically. I have seen it on the menu in Vietnam, but never got a chance to try it. Is it eaten much in China @lisa?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,349 mod
    mheredge said:

I had rat for dinner last night. apparently it was a field rat rather than a house rat (I didn't realise that there was a difference ). It was very tasty, cooked with onion and tomato, and spices. It went down very nicely with a glass of rice wine.

The Tharu people eat rat quite typically. I have seen it on the menu in Vietnam, but never got a chance to try it. Is it eaten much in China @lisa?

I don't think I would fancy eating a rat, though I am sure that I would enjoy it if I ate it without knowing what it actually was.
    It doesn't have much meat really, so it's the sauce and spices that made it taste good @GemmaRowlands. To be honest, I didn't really think much about what kind of animal it was. I had just heard it was quite a delicacy.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge I have never tried rats, however, there are some people who prefer to try those things, such as people living in Guangzhou, I really can not understand why they are able to eat rats.
    They're not house rats @lisa, so I guess they're bigger and so not too different from eating a small chicken or rabbit. In Mongolia people eat marmots, in Peru they eat guinea pigs. Last night I was given some very tasty chicken, but it wasn't at all exotic.
    In Mongolia, people eat marmots (they are protected in Europe and not eaten). However there are risks associated with eating the meat of this animal that can carry bubonic plague.

A couple died of the plague after eating raw marmot kidney. This has led to a six-day quarantine that has left tourists from Russia, Germany and Switzerland stranded in a remote region for days. The ethnic Kazakh couple died on 1 May in Mongolia’s westernmost province of Bayan-Ulgii, which borders Russia and China.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/06/mongolian-couple-die-of-bubonic-plague-after-eating-marmot?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA1MDc=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email