Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 20 March 2017 - When should you start thinking about your career?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
We read an article about at what age you should start thinking about your career. The article says that primary school children should be studying career education.

https://theconversation.com/explainer-when-should-children-start-to-think-about-their-careers-38264

Vocabulary Top 10:

shadow minister - a politician who is a member of the Opposition and has been appointed to speak about how an alternative government would do things differently

evaluation - a judgment on the value or condition of (someone or something) in a careful and thoughtful way

attainment - something that has been gotten, done, or achieved through effort

critic - a person who disapproves of someone or something : a person who criticizes someone or something; also a person who gives opinions about books, movies, or other forms of art

articulate - to express something, such as an idea, in words

aspiration - something that a person wants very much to achieve

bias - a tendency to believe that some people, ideas, etc., are better than others that usually results in treating some people unfairly

occupation - the work that a person does : a person's job or profession

codified - to put (things) in an orderly form; to put (laws or rules) together as a code or system

albeit - even though, although

How old were you when you decided what job you wanted to do?

What did you want to be when you were a child?

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,310 mod
    Didn't anyone take part in this session?
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
    Actually, there were 10 people in the Monday session, and another 10 in the discussion session (not all the same people).... maybe I should try and tag people, @Lynne ?
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,749 mod
    NatashaT said:

What did you want to be when you were a child?

It was a compination of the following :D

• aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,749 mod
    NatashaT said:

How old were you when you decided what job you wanted to do?

In progressing :D
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
    @aladdin you aren´t the only one! :D
  • DiakhaDiakha Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    I think it was at secondary school, I should be 19, whend I decided that I wanted to become a teacher in Maths. But at the very beginning, I think it was at primary school, I should be less than 12, the first job I was dreaming of was a pilote. You know I grew up in an under-developped country, so I quickly had to change my mind, because there was no school for that in the country, no company where to work...
  • mounamouna Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭
    I think about my career only when I finish my studies.
    the studies take all of my time then I haven't any idea about what I'll do after that.
    A lot of projects came to my mind but I can't do anyone for this moment .