Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What was your first job?

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    @nmoskovkin
    Sounds like a hard work. Did you work in the daytime?
  • nmoskovkinnmoskovkin Posts: 20 ✭✭
    it was when I had rest of studing (vacation?) Hard? No there I was so young)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,671 ✭✭✭✭
    I did this type of work for several years @Deucalion. I did this for the third, fourth and fifth paid jobs I had, before I drifted into other areas.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭
    I gave out leaflets on the street. It was a boring job, but I needed money.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    My first job was golf caddie, I didn't like the sport and I was a bad caddie. Later I learned to play and I enjoyed more. Nowadays I sometimes play golf with my former partners.
  • timbilinotimbilino Posts: 21 ✭✭
    My first job was as clerk in an ice cream shop. I remember they gave us ice cream free on Fridays
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    @timbilino
    That's true that if you work for a food shop you'll be likely to get to eat its food for free on occasion.

When I worked for a yakitori restaurant (Japanese style skewered chicken) they always gave me a yakitori meal after work. I became familiar with chicken and other kinds of meat. My favorite was adult female chicken. It's firmer than ordinary younger chicken and very tasty.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

When I was 16 I was helping to make a fence on the street. At this moment I had salary about 10$ per day. But it was enough.

That is a good amount to earn as a 16 year old though. It would buy a lot!
    I served as a barmaid one summer when I was a student. I can assure you we weren't given any free drinks but some customers used to tip by saying 'one for yourself '. It took me a while to cotton on that this meant I was to keep the change or keep an amount equivalent to a drink.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I just little boy I worked on the beach to sell cotton candy for children to earn money
    Do you mean the children made the cotton candy and then you sold it @Khalied? I don't understand how you selling it would help children earn money or do you mean they spent money to buy it?
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I mean work with a man to made cotton candy and work on the beach to sell what I made it
  • mounamouna Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭
    Now I encourage my nephew to get a job very early especially when he were in vacation .I think It is a good habit,he we'll be more responsable than he used to
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭
    We Indian student does not go for a month job in vacation but I have heard that people abroad often do this in their extra leisure time. We mostly help our parents but that doesn't give us enough confident and Independence.

I think we need to adapt this kind of habit. It's good.
  • ayham1989ayham1989 Posts: 4
    When I was at high school. I worken in the summer part time in a store as worker. I discovered then the life is not easy
    I know what you mean @ayham1989. When I worked in a supermarket for six weeks one summer, it really opened my eyes to how hard the job is: to smile all the time to customers at the checkout, to put things on the shelves, and hardest for me was the work in the store's staff canteen.
  • philippephilippe Posts: 2
    When I used to learn at the university I wrote code in PHP to parse large-size texts. I worked on a big information website almost for free. My aim was to gain experience in programming and take part in a real project.
    mheredge said:

I served as a barmaid one summer when I was a student. I can assure you we weren't given any free drinks but some customers used to tip by saying 'one for yourself '. It took me a while to cotton on that this meant I was to keep the change or keep an amount equivalent to a drink.

It's always nice when somebody buys you a drink. And if you're on shift you can get very thirsty, so even better!
    I didn't know what they meant @GemmaRowlands, when they said 'and one for yourself' as obviously I wasn't allowed to drink while working. One of the other bar staff had to explain to me that it meant keep the change! I don't know, maybe it was a Manchester expression. Not that I ever worked as a barmaid down south.
    mheredge said:

I didn't know what they meant @GemmaRowlands, when they said 'and one for yourself' as obviously I wasn't allowed to drink while working. One of the other bar staff had to explain to me that it meant keep the change! I don't know, maybe it was a Manchester expression. Not that I ever worked as a barmaid down south.

Yes it's just a way of giving you a tip. It's quite nice really, because when you're busy, your tips can add up to quite a lot if you're working all evening!
    When I was a little girl (maybe eight or nine years old), I decided to set up a small business on the pavement, in front of our house. With my sister, I picked flowers from the back garden and we tried our luck selling them to passers-by. Somehow it didn't quite take off in the same way Richard Branson's ideas did, but it was good fun all the same.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Some experts suggest when sales are not going well some more aggresive sales techniques should be tried.
    Aggressive sales tactics have me running a mile @Deucalion, whether I wanted the product or not. I'd make a lousy salesperson.
    mheredge said:

When I was a little girl (maybe eight or nine years old), I decided to set up a small business on the pavement, in front of our house. With my sister, I picked flowers from the back garden and we tried our luck selling them to passers-by. Somehow it didn't quite take off in the same way Richard Branson's ideas did, but it was good fun all the same.

That sounds like a great way to start learning about the world of business! And I am sure that the people who bought flowers from you enjoyed displaying them in their homes, too.
    I think the few buyers were more like just kind folk that were encouraging our efforts. And I suppose too, in a residential suburban street, they could see we were quite respectable and weren't beggars @GemmaRowlands !
    mheredge said:

I think the few buyers were more like just kind folk that were encouraging our efforts. And I suppose too, in a residential suburban street, they could see we were quite respectable and weren't beggars @GemmaRowlands !

I think lots of people would support kids if they saw them selling things. It doesn't seem to be something that happens all that much where I live though, but I guess times are changing.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    My first job is working as a car wash boy, during my semester break, which used a manual way by hand, not an automated car wash. Tired but quite lots of fun, hence this method are way more cleaner rather than using machine.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive
    @zaiymurs it seemed like fun
  • faiz49faiz49 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    @zaiymurs you must have strong hand :D
  • MohamedSamMohamedSam Posts: 5
    My first job was salary agent, it was boring and tiresome, but it learn me how i be patient man..