Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in July

What was your first job?

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 Inactive
    @nmoskovkin
    Sounds like a hard work. Did you work in the daytime?
  • nmoskovkinnmoskovkin Posts: 20 ✭✭
    it was when I had rest of studing (vacation?) Hard? No there I was so young)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,378 ✭✭✭✭
    I did this type of work for several years @Deucalion. I did this for the third, fourth and fifth paid jobs I had, before I drifted into other areas.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭
    I gave out leaflets on the street. It was a boring job, but I needed money.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    My first job was golf caddie, I didn't like the sport and I was a bad caddie. Later I learned to play and I enjoyed more. Nowadays I sometimes play golf with my former partners.
  • timbilinotimbilino Posts: 21 ✭✭
    My first job was as clerk in an ice cream shop. I remember they gave us ice cream free on Fridays
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭
    @timbilino
    That's true that if you work for a food shop you'll be likely to get to eat its food for free on occasion.

When I worked for a yakitori restaurant (Japanese style skewered chicken) they always gave me a yakitori meal after work. I became familiar with chicken and other kinds of meat. My favorite was adult female chicken. It's firmer than ordinary younger chicken and very tasty.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

When I was 16 I was helping to make a fence on the street. At this moment I had salary about 10$ per day. But it was enough.

That is a good amount to earn as a 16 year old though. It would buy a lot!
    I served as a barmaid one summer when I was a student. I can assure you we weren't given any free drinks but some customers used to tip by saying 'one for yourself '. It took me a while to cotton on that this meant I was to keep the change or keep an amount equivalent to a drink.
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I just little boy I worked on the beach to sell cotton candy for children to earn money
    Do you mean the children made the cotton candy and then you sold it @Khalied? I don't understand how you selling it would help children earn money or do you mean they spent money to buy it?
  • KhaliedKhalied EgyptPosts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I mean work with a man to made cotton candy and work on the beach to sell what I made it
  • mounamouna Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭
    Now I encourage my nephew to get a job very early especially when he were in vacation .I think It is a good habit,he we'll be more responsable than he used to
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭
    We Indian student does not go for a month job in vacation but I have heard that people abroad often do this in their extra leisure time. We mostly help our parents but that doesn't give us enough confident and Independence.

I think we need to adapt this kind of habit. It's good.
  • ayham1989ayham1989 Posts: 4
    When I was at high school. I worken in the summer part time in a store as worker. I discovered then the life is not easy
    I know what you mean @ayham1989. When I worked in a supermarket for six weeks one summer, it really opened my eyes to how hard the job is: to smile all the time to customers at the checkout, to put things on the shelves, and hardest for me was the work in the store's staff canteen.
  • philippephilippe Posts: 2
    When I used to learn at the university I wrote code in PHP to parse large-size texts. I worked on a big information website almost for free. My aim was to gain experience in programming and take part in a real project.
    mheredge said:

I served as a barmaid one summer when I was a student. I can assure you we weren't given any free drinks but some customers used to tip by saying 'one for yourself '. It took me a while to cotton on that this meant I was to keep the change or keep an amount equivalent to a drink.

It's always nice when somebody buys you a drink. And if you're on shift you can get very thirsty, so even better!
    I didn't know what they meant @GemmaRowlands, when they said 'and one for yourself' as obviously I wasn't allowed to drink while working. One of the other bar staff had to explain to me that it meant keep the change! I don't know, maybe it was a Manchester expression. Not that I ever worked as a barmaid down south.
    mheredge said:

I didn't know what they meant @GemmaRowlands, when they said 'and one for yourself' as obviously I wasn't allowed to drink while working. One of the other bar staff had to explain to me that it meant keep the change! I don't know, maybe it was a Manchester expression. Not that I ever worked as a barmaid down south.

Yes it's just a way of giving you a tip. It's quite nice really, because when you're busy, your tips can add up to quite a lot if you're working all evening!
    When I was a little girl (maybe eight or nine years old), I decided to set up a small business on the pavement, in front of our house. With my sister, I picked flowers from the back garden and we tried our luck selling them to passers-by. Somehow it didn't quite take off in the same way Richard Branson's ideas did, but it was good fun all the same.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Some experts suggest when sales are not going well some more aggresive sales techniques should be tried.
    Aggressive sales tactics have me running a mile @Deucalion, whether I wanted the product or not. I'd make a lousy salesperson.
    mheredge said:

When I was a little girl (maybe eight or nine years old), I decided to set up a small business on the pavement, in front of our house. With my sister, I picked flowers from the back garden and we tried our luck selling them to passers-by. Somehow it didn't quite take off in the same way Richard Branson's ideas did, but it was good fun all the same.

That sounds like a great way to start learning about the world of business! And I am sure that the people who bought flowers from you enjoyed displaying them in their homes, too.
    I think the few buyers were more like just kind folk that were encouraging our efforts. And I suppose too, in a residential suburban street, they could see we were quite respectable and weren't beggars @GemmaRowlands !
    mheredge said:

I think the few buyers were more like just kind folk that were encouraging our efforts. And I suppose too, in a residential suburban street, they could see we were quite respectable and weren't beggars @GemmaRowlands !

I think lots of people would support kids if they saw them selling things. It doesn't seem to be something that happens all that much where I live though, but I guess times are changing.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    My first job is working as a car wash boy, during my semester break, which used a manual way by hand, not an automated car wash. Tired but quite lots of fun, hence this method are way more cleaner rather than using machine.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 904 Inactive
    @zaiymurs it seemed like fun
  • faiz49faiz49 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    @zaiymurs you must have strong hand :D
  • MohamedSamMohamedSam Posts: 5
    My first job was salary agent, it was boring and tiresome, but it learn me how i be patient man..