Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What was your first job?

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

I remember when I was at sixth form college helping with a day trip for handicapped people (adults) @Frank. As this was the first time I had ever encountered so many people with different physical disabilities, this was a very valuable learning process for me.

It's great to be able to work with people like that, as it makes you appreciate just how difficult everyday life can be for them, and what they have to go through just to have a normal life. We are so lucky to be physically able.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    @zubair I think you are a bit ambitious to think you might be promoted after just three months, but maybe your colleagues are more realistic to advise you it will take longer. But don't give up. I'm such your diligence and hard work will be rewarded.

You need to be careful about fast promotion sometimes too. I was once promoted too fast and my colleagues hated me for it (I was young, with a degree and they were twice my age with no such qualification). So when I wanted to go to the next level, even though I was doing the work for this grade, I was told that I would need to wait at least another 5 years. Instead I left.
    mheredge said:

@zubair I think you are a bit ambitious to think you might be promoted after just three months, but maybe your colleagues are more realistic to advise you it will take longer. But don't give up. I'm such your diligence and hard work will be rewarded.

You need to be careful about fast promotion sometimes too. I was once promoted too fast and my colleagues hated me for it (I was young, with a degree and they were twice my age with no such qualification). So when I wanted to go to the next level, even though I was doing the work for this grade, I was told that I would need to wait at least another 5 years. Instead I left.

I think being promoted slowly is sometimes better anyway, as it means that you know you're fully ready for the role. I don't like rushing into things, as it makes me nervous.
  • elancer2013elancer2013 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    When i was in school i used to repair personal computers. I love that because it was really challenging for me because i don't know about the internet at that time, so i have to study myself and find solutions for it.
    What do you do now @elancer2013? Do you still work with computers?
    Yeah, now i am working as a freelancer. @mheredge
  • ChamCham Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Hi,
    My first job was in the supermarket, my wife help me with one. I used to serve the customers, cut the foods, check the validity of food, organize the stands, put the foods into the freezer, etc. It was tiring but good, I learned a lot, I made friends, just now I’ve realized how fast time passes. lol

When i was in school i used to repair personal computers. I love that because it was really challenging for me because i don't know about the internet at that time, so i have to study myself and find solutions for it.

Did you charge for it? I imagine it was great to be able to get a little bit of money coming in even though you were still only at school!
    @Cham I worked in a supermarket for about six weeks when I was a student. Most of all I appreciate how tough and boring this work can be and I think it makes me make more effort to be nice to shop workers.
  • ChamCham Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Yes I agree with you, It’s a little bit complicated. I needed to worked for 3 years that.
    Thank you for commenting @mheredge
    mheredge said:

@Cham I worked in a supermarket for about six weeks when I was a student. Most of all I appreciate how tough and boring this work can be and I think it makes me make more effort to be nice to shop workers.

I applaud anyone who does that kind of work, because I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to just sit in one place all day and scan items through a till. I get bored too easily, and need lots of breaks during my working day!
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > When i was in school i used to repair personal computers. I love that because it was really challenging for me because i don't know about the internet at that time, so i have to study myself and find solutions for it.
    >
    > Did you charge for it? I imagine it was great to be able to get a little bit of money coming in even though you were still only at school!

No i used to do that for free, but later i professionally worked in it then i charge them. @GemmaRowlands
    This morning I was chatting to a guy who has been working in the hotel I was staying in since it opened 22 years ago. His first job just after he left school was working on the construction of the hotel where he then got a job.
    mheredge said:

This morning I was chatting to a guy who has been working in the hotel I was staying in since it opened 22 years ago. His first job just after he left school was working on the construction of the hotel where he then got a job.

I think that's an amazing career progression! So his entire career had been invested in that hotel. I suppose nobody can question his dedication to it!
  • AndrewSotnikovAndrewSotnikov Posts: 55 ✭✭
    When I studied in university, I worked unskilled labour on building objects. That was not easy, but I got enough money for spending fun time.
    He reckons he will continue working there for the whole of his life @GemmaRowlands. The staff turnover at this hotel is extremely low because people like working there so much.
  • My first job was as a freelance in an advertisement company. Now I still in the company, but not as freelance anymore. Thank God I love this job.
    mheredge said:

He reckons he will continue working there for the whole of his life @GemmaRowlands. The staff turnover at this hotel is extremely low because people like working there so much.

That's always a good sign that a company is a positive place to work, if the staff don't want to leave. The best companies can make their staff want to be loyal to them.
  • EppingEpping Posts: 25 ✭✭
    My first job was making records for people who wants to make an album.
    Do you work in a music studio now @Epping?
    Epping said:

My first job was making records for people who wants to make an album.

Did any of the people who you made records for ever go on to become famous in the industry? I think that would be something to be very proud of indeed!
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 829 Inactive
    When I was 13 years old I started my first job, it was selling milk packets in the early morning. I remember those days, It was wonderful.
    madhug said:

When I was 13 years old I started my first job, it was selling milk packets in the early morning. I remember those days, It was wonderful.

Were you able to get up easily that early in the morning? I know that if that were my job I would struggle to get up on time.
    I'm not sure I would have liked working as a newspaper girl for that reason @GemmaRowlands. Does this job still exist?
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭
    My first formal job was working in a Liyan company as a purchaser, and I worked in that company for almost three years. Deep impressions and thanks to the boss and fomer colleagues who gave me lots of support and favors. I will keep those fantastic memories in my whole life, I think.
  • BennieBennie Posts: 6
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

The first job provided me an android developer position and it lasts util now.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭
    My first job was at a logistics company Kuroneko Yamato. I worked as a sorter there. I’d work part time from about 10 in the night to 4 in the morning. Pay was a little less than 1000yen for an hour at the time as I remember. I’d stand beside a conveyor line and sort parcels into route code cages. Those cages had several specific codes for each routes. When delivery trucks arrived for each route codes, we had to take the cage to the truck and load it on the truck.
    mheredge said:

I'm not sure I would have liked working as a newspaper girl for that reason @GemmaRowlands. Does this job still exist?

Yes! Although not very many people seem to order newspapers anymore. I worked as a newspaper girl to fund my studies at high school and I enjoyed the extra cash.
    I worked in a green grocer when I was in 6th Form and a couple of stints in a supermarket and department store when I was at college. The extra pocket money was handy.
    mheredge said:

I worked in a green grocer when I was in 6th Form and a couple of stints in a supermarket and department store when I was at college. The extra pocket money was handy.

It is great to have a bit of extra money when you're younger. I always enjoyed earning while I was at college, and I felt sorry for my friends who didn't!