Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

AM/PM Session - 4 April 2017 - Evolutionary perks of singing

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
edited April 2017 in Music
We read an article about how singing has helped us evolve over time:

https://theconversation.com/all-together-now-three-evolutionary-perks-of-singing-35367

Vocabulary Top 10:

perks - good things that you have or get because of your situation

concurrent - happening at the same time

bombardment - to hit or attack (something or someone) constantly or repeatedly

subsume - include or absorb (something) in something else

precedence - the condition of being more important than something or someone else and therefore coming or being dealt with first

contagion - the spreading or transmittion of one thing to another (usually used to talk about infectious diseases)

lullaby - a song used to help a child fall asleep

mesmerise - to hold the attention of (someone) entirely : to interest or amaze (someone) so much that nothing else is seen or noticed

conjecture - an opinion or idea formed without proof or sufficient evidence

scant - very small in size or amount; not enough of something

Do you like singing with other people? Do you think group singing can be helpful for creating shared experiences, increasing social bonding and improving cognitive function?
Post edited by NatashaT on

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,072 mod
    I like to sing with other people, but I always sing out of tune so I'm a bit compelled to sing alone, in my room. :)
    The only time I really sing with friends is on a birthday of one of us. Just a birthday song which has only one line: happy birthday to you and is repeated a couple of times.
    I have to say that at that moment we feel lucky that we've got friends, so it kind of increasing social bonding.
    Improving cognitive function and creating shared experiences? I think we have to choose another songs to achieve it. :)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,072 mod
    This would be my favourite choir: The Tuneless Choir.

• shadyrashedshadyrashed Posts: 70 ✭✭
    a good example for the topic and for the effect of music is in the movie "the school of rock"