Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Studying Abroad

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,991 mod
    sammani said:

Studying Abroad is an interresting topic.I had a dream to go abroad for my higher studies.but now I am afraid because of my weakness of english.I try to make it good.but everytime everything go wrong,I feel.But I still haven`t given up my dream. :(

If you need to improve your English then you're definitely in the right place, so you should never give up on your dreams.
  • HadiaHadia Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I'm nearly finished with my studies, unfortunately I didn't consider to study abroad at the beginning. I think you have to plan everything quite good, before going to another country. But it's the experience worth, so say the most students.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,702 ✭✭✭✭
    I did my MBA with Henley Management College (part of Brunel University) by distance learning @madhug (and I have a certificate), but this college has a very high reputation so I never felt it was a waste of time. I certainly wouldn't have had the time to take a year out of work to pursue a full time course anywhere. My employer was even able to support me by paying half the fees, which I'm sure they wouldn't have done if I'd wanted to take time out to take the course. You might find your employer can help you if you wanted to study something relevant that they think is useful for you to do your job better.
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 829 Inactive
    I've completed my Batchelor degree in distance education from Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University. Based on this degree I applied so many companies in Hyderabad. I got an email from few companies. They are not encouraged distance education. So I am not qualified for that job roles. After that, I've completed my regular degree. @mheredge
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,991 mod
    Hadia said:

I'm nearly finished with my studies, unfortunately I didn't consider to study abroad at the beginning. I think you have to plan everything quite good, before going to another country. But it's the experience worth, so say the most students.

Yes, it would take a lot of planning indeed. But if you managed it, I am sure that it would be worth it, and it would leave you with lots of memories that would then last a lifetime.
    A lot of courses seem to include the opportunity to work abroad for a few months. Mh cousin in France chose to do this when he was studying engineering,.
  • kevinabkevinab Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Nowadays study abroad is a good decision for our future. because when we are studying in any another country, we have a good chance to explore different cultures with different peoples. With this opportunity, we can make a strong friend network with different peoples. I think study abroad is a good choice for better future and better career.
    You're right. Studying abroad is not just a good opportunity to learn a subject but meeting people from different cultures and networking is very valuable in whatever you end up doing. It helps to open the mind which is never a bad thing. @kevinab.
  • CamiloCFCamiloCF Posts: 23 Inactive
    Well, it depends a lot on your expectations and requirements, but studying abroad is one of the most enriching experiences you can have in your live. So don't be afraid at all! On the contrary, learning become your main activity, even if you don't assist to any course ;) Just try to enjoy and don't gt anxious with choosing, every place has something unique. I know it sounds naif, but it's true...
  • LanaLana Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I would like to pursue my PhD abrode. I believe it would enrich my knowledge and help me in my prospective career. To my mind Germany the best fit for my interest. I am awere that I have to improve my speaking English, so I practise every day and I hope that I will live in Germany soon.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭
    As a mother, I will give my daughter advices to study abroad, my husband studied in Egypt from 19 years old, he told me it was a hard experience of those two years. He had to go to find a part time job for the life of next semester, it was very difficult to get used of the local food and there were not any friends at the beginning.
  • DiegoRRDDiegoRRD Posts: 7
    I've complete my doble degree in france. At the begining Its was too difficult accostum to speak french, where the classroom was in english, even though the classroom have spoken english and outside speak french, I decided to study the two language, but I got used to speaking the two languages
    Well done @DiegoRRD. That must have been quite a challenge to learn both languages at the same time as your degree subjects. I think French is harder than English, but which did you find easier to learn? What were your degree subjects?
    @DiegoRRD My colleagues tell me there are 24 tenses in French totally, and I think French is much more difficult than English.
    Yes English is much easier than French @lisa. And you don't have to worry about the gender of the nouns either: that doors and windows are feminine but walls are masculine; that the house is feminine but an apartment masculine!
  • AntoAnto Posts: 3
    It's my ambition to study abroad. Is it possible ?
    Englishi is my favortiate foreign language, French is much more difficult for me, there are lots of tenses and feminine and masculine words to recit, and I am so happy there are not feminine and masculine words in English. @mheredge
    @Anto anything is possible if you want it enough! You need to think what you want to study, where and then do some research on options. The biggest question is usually about cost.
  • MustafaMustafa Posts: 154 ✭✭
    I am looking forward to study abroad
    Where are you planning to go @mustafatajani? To study what?
    @mheredge not fixed yet but probably in Europe , Canada,US or Australia. I will pursue my masters in Mechanical Engineering. What about you?
    I have studied but not abroad @mustafatajani unless you count a few weeks in Colombia to brush up on long forgotten Spanish and a couple of weeks in Italy to start learning some Italian.
    where are you from? @mheredge
  • sammanisammani Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    @lisa,anyhow french is an interesting language.isn't it?
  • sammanisammani Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge,it is great idea to move a country to learn their language.then practising that language become very easy I think.
    @mustafatajani I am half French and half British with a dash of Italian! I used to be able to claim 100% European, but I now have to disown the British half!
    @mheredge okok lot of information :D ....Nice So you know three languages.
    This article is about working abroad but it is still very relevant when it comes to studying abroad @mustafatajani, @sammani, @Lana, @Anto, @kevinab:

https://www.lifehack.org/356849/15-things-only-people-who-have-worked-overseas-can-understand
    @mheredge I will visit the link. Thank you
    I know quite a lot of people are going to China nowadays for their studies but I think the condition is that the student has to learn Chinese. Is that right @lisa?