Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 11 April 2017 - 8 words that changed the way we think

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,044 Teacher
We read an article about 8 words and when they first appeared in English. The words were:

- twitter
- serendipity
- panorama
- visualise
- intellectualise
- bureaucracy (and laissez-faire)
- photograph
- muggle

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170303-eight-words-that-changed-the-way-we-think

Vocabulary Top 10:

utterance - something that a person says; the act of saying something

coinage - the act of creating a new word or phrase that other people begin to use; a word that someone has created

inaugural - happening as the first one in a series of similar events; also happening as part of an official ceremony or celebration when someone (such as a newly elected official) begins an important job

quill - a pen that is made from a feather; (also the hollow central part of a feather)

peppy - full of energy or enthusiasm

prance - to walk or move in a lively and proud way

emancipate - to free (someone) from someone else's control or power

lexicon - the words used in a language or by a person or group of people

admonish - to speak to (someone) in a way that expresses disapproval or criticism

bereft - not having something that is needed, wanted, or expected

Which one of these 8 words do you think is the most interesting? What is the most important or interesting word in the English language for you?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,821 mod
    I like "twitter", at least it sounds better than "facebook". :)
    The word "twitter" has a link to chats or messages we send via the media.
    I can't get a direct link between the word "facebook" and all those things we are writing in that site, or can you?
  • shadyrashedshadyrashed Posts: 70 ✭✭
    I liked serendipity. It sound good.if something good happened in serendipitous way ofcours will make me happy.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,044 Teacher
    @april The word ´facebook´actually existed before the site did! A Facebook is collection of names and photos of people distributed in American universities. It's a directory, usually printed, to help students know the names of each other.

And that´s how the website started off too, as a site just with people´s faces and their names, and a simple wall for people to exchange messages (kind of like our profile pages here, actually!). So the site borrowed the name from the directories! It might not be like that anymore, but that´s where the name first came from!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,821 mod
    Thak you, @NatashaT, I still don't like that word though. :)
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,044 Teacher
    @shadyrashed can you post the ´word of the year´ link here too?
  • BassaBassa Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ... I like panorama, we use this word in Italian too...and I like it because when you are using it probably means that you are seeing a beautiful landscape :)
  • BassaBassa Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Anyway guys I take this chat to wish everyone an Happy Easter :)... and if someone will make, happy Easter holidays too!! :)
    @NatashaT

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/word-of-the-year/word-of-the-year-2016
    There is a lot of words in This link