Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 17 April 2017 - Should cheerleading be an Olympic sport?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
We read an article about whether cheerleading is a sport or not, and the changes it has gone through to be considered a potential Olympic sport:

https://theconversation.com/cheerleadings-peculiar-path-to-potential-olympic-sport-70386

Vocabulary Top 10:

extracurricular - used to describe extra activities (such as sports) that can be done by the students in a school but that are not part of the regular schedule of classes

usher in - to happen at the beginning of (something, such as a period of activity) and usually to help cause it

spirit industry - the cheerleading industry (spirit = enthusiastic loyalty, e.g. for a team)

stunt - a difficult and often dangerous action

corner the market - to have the greatest market share in a particular industry without having a monopoly

staggering - very large, shocking, or surprising

sports clinic - a sports meeting during which a group of people learn about a particular thing or work on a particular problem

sidelines - the space outside the area where a game is played on a field or court

abide by - to accept and be guided by (something)

pom poms - a large collection of plastic strings attached to a handle that is waved by cheerleaders

Do you think cheerleading should be included in the Olympics? What other sports would you like to see included?

Comments

• clairclair Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Thank you for today's session, Natasha and everyone else in the group. I enjoyed it as my very first session.

As for the discussion, I don't think cheerleading is a sport and shouldn't be included in the Olypmics because I don't think cheerleading is something you compete against another. Like mentioned in the article, cheerleading is more like marching band that performs for the sports team to bring up the spirit of their home team. This is all I can think of at the moment.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,072 mod
    edited April 2017
    What an awful idea!
    If Cheerleading would be included in the Olympics, why not aerobic or Taichi or yoga or even Linedancing too?

BTW, Skype had a blackout in my country this night. It only started to work again at 10:15pm CET.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
    Welcome @clair ! I´m glad you commented here so I can learn your forum name ;)

I agree - when I think of cheerleading, I think of it as a way to support a team. I don´t know how they can judge which squad does that better.

@april I think if they add cheerleading to the Olympics, it will open the door for many other crazy sports! I´m sure I´ve read about them wanting to add surfing and skateboarding, too.

I had a small problem with skype earlier today, too - the person I wanted to talk to was showing as offline to me, and I was showing offline to them, but we were both online! I wonder if it is related to your problem too?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,072 mod
    My Skype problem was worse.
    Not able to log in at all and after it was recovered (after more than one hour), the messages sent in that period didn't appear.
    In the Skype problem map, we could see that almost the whole North Europe were red, orange or yellow. The rest of the world was white, clean, not a spot was seen :) .
  • nourynoury Posts: 1
    hello
    i'm new in this group ,
  • clairclair Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Hi, Natasha, I was waiting for today's session to begin (Wednesday) but there was nothing on Skype. I assumed if I was added to the Monday Night-Owl session, I automatically am added to Wednesday session as well because it's still Night-Owl. Do I need to be added to both Monday and also the Wednesday Night-Owl session separately?
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think cheerleading might be considered a sport and not just be lowered in status, just as an extracurricular activity to be performed by students, when about to get a square bottom due to too long time spent seated at the desk.
    Especially so, I suppose, whenever it happened they might do it to get rid of all kind of unnecessary frills, such as the too showy uniforms, pompoms and such ornamental peacock's tail-like bunches of brightly coloured feathers, which all, again and again, pop, sprout and spread out to show off their imaginative choreographies.
    As long as they restrain themselves to just the athletic core of the exercising, the stunt and acrobatic skills, I believe there is enough ground to admit such bodily exercising into the elite of sports deserving contests in the Olympics.
    After all, I'm afraid the way has long been already paved for the so-called secondary sports to take part in this international athletic event.
    What about then the synchronized swimmings: much as I just hardly can come up with what this strange kind of sport's purpose might deal with, nevertheless it seems to me it might just result in a dancing performed in water, when dancers stop moving, without notice, at some moments, and keep floating, motionless, quite stiff, with tightened muscles, as if in a sudden attack of tetanus, only to, after a few seconds, to recover promptly and keep performing their symmetrical seal style evolutions.
    Tell me if this can be a sport to be displayed on a Olympics. Maybe it would match more an aquarium... or a medical clinic.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,749 mod
    It's not a sport. it might be a dancing competition.