Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

AM/PM Session - 25 April 2017 - The milk that lasts for months

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
The article we read today talked about the special properties of ultra-heat-treated milk:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170327-the-milk-that-lasts-forever

Vocabulary Top 10:

property - a special quality or characteristic of something

sterile - clean and free of bacteria and germs

spoilage - the process or result of decaying

sweltering - very hot

languish - to continue for a long time without activity or progress in an unpleasant or unwanted situation

cloistered - separated from the rest of the world; protected from everyday life

limp - (adjective) having an unpleasantly soft or weak quality : not firm or stiff

strand - a thin piece of thread, wire, hair, etc.; something that is long like a string

by leaps and bounds - very quickly and greatly

shelf-stable - able to survive long periods on store or home shelves without going bad

Do you prefer fresh milk, pasteurised milk, or UHT milk? What kinds of milk can you find in your country?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,072 mod
    When I was a little girl I had to drink a glass of fresh milk every day, that's maybe the reason why milk digusts me a little bit when I grew up.
    Nowadays I add milk just to eat cornflakes or oatmeal or to make pancakes.
    If I open a 500 ml bottle of milk I only can finish it after more than two weeks so I don't have another choice than buying UHT milk.
    It tastes better too, in my opinion. Less greasy.
    Besides, it has been ages since I saw a milkman around. :D

What kinds of milk do we have here?
    As far as I know we only have cow milk in the supermarket; fresh, pasteurised, UHT, in boxes, in bottles or in plastic bottles.
    I've never seen milk in can, though.
    We do have coconut milk in can, don't we?

Could you buy sheep's milk or horse's milk in the supermarket in your place?
    Pasteurised, fresh or UHT?
  • clairclair Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I used to drink Trader's Joes's soy milk but recently switched to Costco's organic whole milk because I learned that soy milk is not good for those with hypothyroidism. And I've also learned from googling after our session today that Costco's organic whole milk is ultra pasteurized.

A few years ago, I had a boss who were a nutritionist by hobby and she abhorred drinking any pasteurized milk because she said it strips off all nutrients. She always ordered bottles of raw, unpasteurized milk from local dairy farm. Those glass-bottled raw milk had very short shelf-life, lasting only a few days before they go bad, so she would get one bottle each time twice a week. I couldn't even eat KFC for my lunch because she said it would break her heart that I eat hormone-injected chickens. She educated me about food-based vitamins verses synthetic vitamins and I eventually start shopping at the local vitamin shop that she frequented. Influenced by her, I also tried the raw, unpasteurized milk, but couldn't bear the taste or smell of it; not my cup of tea. I just didn't feel it was sanitary or hygienic enough although it might contain all the nutrients still intact. I think I'll stick to Costco's organic whole milk for now.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    @NatashaT We have many kinds of milk such as full fat milk, UHT, condensed milk, skimmed milk, soy milk, lactose free milk, organic, powder milk, etcetera.

I like milk, altough I don't drink it on a daily basis. We usually buy UHT milk. I've also noticed that whole milk disagrees with me! On the other hand, I prefer the taste of whole milk or UHT rather than skimmed milk, it looks like water and it doesn't taste as real milk. :D ... at least to me.

I assume that we all have heard about the benefits of drinking milk, however, I recently watched a documentary and they say that the big companies have been encouraging the consumption of milk, especially since 90's because they needed to increase the sales at that point [in the US]. But they also added that the high consumption of milk in adults it's not good for our health.. Then, who/what should we believe in?
  • shadyrashedshadyrashed Posts: 70 ✭✭
    @april
    I had made the same when I were a kid , but nowadays it is the same situation also I didn't drink a lot of milk uht or pasteurized, I can buy the 1 liter uht milk box and I will throw it before I finish it after 2 weeks from opening it,

I still remember the milkman when I was young, he used to come to homes by a bicycle, I remember I like him when he was selling the milk, and we have instantly to boil the milk before putting it inside the refrigerator, I remember when my parents were getting mad from me and my siblings when we fail in boiling the milk or during storing it,
    now I Used to drink flavoured milk and buttermilk ,
    [img]http://cdn.grid.fotosearch.com/CSP/CSP432/k38033282.jpg[/img]
    https://www.travelzad.com/photo/files/322530.jpg
  • BassaBassa Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    @NatashaT
    Until few years ago, before start living alone, I always drank milk, not UHT but the normal pasteurized milk, but after I have preferred the soya milk or the black Thé as well..I've noted that they are better for my stomach..
    @Monik
    I also have heard about the consumption of milk is not really healthy for adult people, actually I don't know in what believe...
    @shadyrashed , not so long ago I saw a milkman, trying to sell fresh milk and other milk products on a streetside.
    It was summer and quite hot.
    Not a lot of people were interested to buy from him.
    I felt pity for him, but I didn't buy anything either because I don't like drinking milk. :(
    At the end he left that place and I don't think he had a good day that day. :(
    @april it is not also available in my city in Egypt may be because a lot of people are concerned with health and quality issues ,so he don't has a lot of customers nowadays .
    I'm watching a documentary with the title Joanna Lumley's Trans-Siberian Adventure.
    Joanna is in Mongolia.
    She is trying to milk a mare without a lot of success of course. :)
    From milk, they make alcoholic drank, has a sour taste but seemingly quite delicious.
    They also use milk in cosmetics, producing body or facial milk.
    Of course they make also a sort of cream chese from this milk.
    Spread it on bread and it taste as scone, Joanna says.

They don't tell how and how long they keep that fresh milk, though.
    I think it's not even necessary because they consume and process it very quick.