Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 30 May 2017 - Donating a kidney to a stranger

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 965 Teacher
We read an article written by someone who decided to donate one of their kidneys to a stranger:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/20/why-i-decided-to-donate-one-of-my-kidneys-to-a-stranger

Vocabulary Top 10:

do-gooders - someone whose desire and effort to help people (such as poor people) is regarded as wrong, annoying, useless, etc.

queasiness - having an unpleasantly nervous or doubtful feeling; having a sick feeling in the stomach : suffering from nausea

startling - very surprising, shocking, or frightening

as well - too, also; in addition to someone or something else

debilitating - making (someone or something) weak : reducing the strength of (someone or something)

ominously - suggesting that something bad is going to happen in the future

offal - the organs (such as the liver or kidney) of an animal that are used for food

duress - force or threats meant to make someone do something

altruistic - feelings and behavior that show a desire to help other people and a lack of selfishness

yuck - used to express disgust

What are the rules about organ donation in your country?

Would you consider donating a kidney to someone you didn´t know?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,549 mod
    In principle, every citizen is considered an organ donor "when the time has come", in my country.
    You don't have to register yourself as a donor, you are advised to register just in case you refuse to be a donor though.

Would I consider donating a kidney to someone I didn´t know?
    I might be one of that group of people who find the whole idea so creepy and frightening, so at this moment I won't consider it.
    The whole procedure, the operation, the post-operation time frightens me.
    In time of emergency I could say "yes", so ask me again then at that moment.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Basically, I agree to save life with any legal surgical activities, but organ transplantation is another thing. Don't get me wrong. I am not stuck in any religion or ethic thing. It's because the deficit? in Organ Transplantation Law in Japan and the distrust of modern medicine.

If you are interested in what I'm talk about, have a look at it.
    Twice Dead: Organ Transplants and the Reinvention of Death

I would love to donate my organs to someone who is worth to live in the world... only just don't 'kill' me to practice it.
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    Just last week, my two cousins have undergone liver donation surgery. I pray to GOD they will be both in a good health soon.

My female doctor cousin has donated part of her liver to her younger brother, she couldn't wait anymore to see her brother suffer. I appreciate her courage and I liked to share this with you because when we read this article I never thought that will happen to my cousins .

In my view, when it comes to a part of your soul you just decide, the most hurtful thing to see a beloved in pain and about to die!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The author of the article pretended he hadn't been a brave person at undergoing a kidney transplantation just for altruistic reason.
    I'm wondering, then, what being courageous mean ? Isn't that a push to plunge headlong in whatever dangerous activities, regardless of any potential harm ? Isn't that an attitude to sacrifice your vulnerable self to higher principles and noble purposes ?
    I actually think he was a brave person; his courage, however, lay not only in having undergone the operation, which held enough reasons by itself.
    Besides, he wanted to remain an anonymous donor, which make me hold him, all the anonymous donors as well, in the highest respect and feel a debt of gratefulness.
    How many thanks should we owe these anonymous heroes ?
    These kind of heartwarming stories which often just go secluded within the four walls of an hospital, make me reconcile with the humankind.
    Before reading the article, I couldn't think of such a thing as donating a part of your body to a stranger without even the relief of a bit of publicity.
    Especially if I think of these days, when anyone can't resist the allurement of getting under the socials' spotlight.
    I always imagined that altruistic activities should escape the low-profile boundaries, as a matter of course: in fact, the push to exalt the goodness is hard to curb sometimes; much easier to spread the good deed to the four winds.
    I don't know if I would be ready to donate a part of my body to a stranger.
    I thik I would need to be a mature, self-confident, emotionally stable person first.
    I would need to thoroughly love and feel loved; I would need to feel aware empathy and sympathy towards my similars.
    I need to learn how to relieve of sufferings people living closest to me, first; then I can ask myself such a morally hard question: what can I do for others ?
    Then I could decide to let the robotically-powered prongs scouring my abdominal offals.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !