Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 13 June 2017 - Fighting cybercrime

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 963 Teacher
We read an article about how we can fight cybercrime with smarter habits:

https://theconversation.com/how-we-can-each-fight-cybercrime-with-smarter-habits-36686

Vocabulary Top 10:

cognition - conscious mental activities : the activities of thinking, understanding, learning, and remembering

cavalierly - having or showing no concern for something that is important or serious

predictor - something that shows whether or not something is likely to happen

widget - an element of a graphical user interface (GUI) that displays information or provides a specific way for a user to interact with the operating system or an application (mini apps that run on the home screen of your phone)

push notification - a message that pops up on a mobile device, you don't have to be in the app or using the devices to receive them

inadvertently - accidentally; not intended or planned

collated - to gather together information from different sources in order to study it carefully; to arrange (sheets of paper) in the correct order

vetted - to check (something) carefully to make sure it is acceptable

cyber - relating to computers

thwart - to prevent (someone) from doing something or to stop (something) from happening

Have you ever been a victim of cybercrime?

What steps do you take to protect yourself online?

Comments

• shadyrashedshadyrashed Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Thank you Natasha for the interesting article.i like it alot. It has a lot of useful procedures. I like it the parts which discuss habbits of social media which made us open and click in any links.ofcourse we have to change these habits.
    I am from along time ago used to check the emails senders and the subjects .so if it's not trusted I will not open any link or any attached types. I found this was useful in the past it was very easy to identify these e-mails. But nowadays things became more complicated these types of emails became more difficult to identify. They made it very well to seem like original one's .so the person has to be very careful or professional to discover these emails.
    I have many of my freind they lost their social media accounts because they opened a links with the same appearance of original sites asking to log in. Once they try to login they will loose their accounts. To save people from these types of attack a lot of websites use now the two authentication methods by a pin or emails or sms to trusted mobile number.
    I advise any unprofessional user to get at least internet security software to protect him from these cyber attacks.
  • theDomtheDom Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Nice article. As much as possible do not upload to much information online.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,549 mod
    edited June 2017
    Some cyber criminals do this kind of attack for money and the other hackers just for fun.
    Why do they like to bring other people in misery? :'(
    Post edited by april on