Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Abroad or Home?!

navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian CanadaPosts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
I want to go abroad in order to study there. My primary reason was the fact that I couldn't find a excellent professor here who has good experience and knowledge in that area.
Could you tell me about studying abroad?! How hard can it be?! How enjoyable can it be?! What are the positive and the negative points about it?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a good question @navidafrasiabian. A lot depends on finance of course, because it can be very expensive studying abroad, not only in terms of fees, but living expenses too. I understand Slovenia offers courses free, and the cost of living is quite cheap too. This country has a small population but a very well-educationed one.

The next question is language. In anglophone countries, you need a good grade in the IELTS or American equivalent to apply to colleges.

Positive points are that you might be able to study subjects unavailable in your home country, to a higher level, and with international students. I always believe that an international environment is a big plus.

This depends on how easy it is for you to adapt and make friends, but it can help you become more self dependent. On the down side, you might feel homesick, missing friends and family.
  • arzulitaarzulita Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    İf you want to study abroad you have to choose the right country for you. Yes there are difficulties like all the examples that gave [email protected]

On the other hand it is enjoyable! You make friends, you learn their lifestyle, their traditions, you learn a different language, you tell about your country, your traditions, your lifestyle.

Studying abroad is a chance to see different places and coulture and to learn to stand on your own foot! İt makes you stronger and fearless.

İ am studying abroad my friend and if you have financial strength I advise you to do the same. Study abroad!
    @navidafrasiabian I think it would be a wonderful experience and will change your life. If you have the chance, you should go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
  • EppingEpping Posts: 25 ✭✭
    In situations like this, I think you should give it a try. You'll know the best answer after that cause nobody can give you an advice with exactly the same condition.
    I think living abroad is a great way to learn a lot about life. It opens the mind.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    I would rather to live in other counrty. Reasons for that attitude are numerous. For example in my country is not appreciate people which finished facultet. This people very hard live and when find a job, these salary very small. This is one of reasons, they are exists many others reasons why I would like to live in other country.
    The problem of over-qualified people and not enough jobs is fairly widespread these days @walter.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Yes exactly. But that is problem. Why government allowing to everyone enroll faculty if already don`t have job for that people. Number people for every faculty must be limited and to exist right selection people which want to enroll that faculty. @mheredge
    I am not sure the government anywhere has much say in how many students enroll for higher education. And I think if they did, it would be difficult to assess how many should be qualified in which subjects. Don't you think @walter?
  • flavioflavsflavioflavs Posts: 5 Inactive
    I'm novice on the forum so I'm able to answer the question only now... I Don't know if my answer might be useful right now. But... ok, i'm giving my advice anyway.

Here in Italy lots of people spent more than 2000€ for a "learning trip" which includes 1/2 month of lesson and a bed and breakfast. Obviously, it depends on which country you're looking for. For some comparison, I'm taking individual lesson for 4 month, which are even based on an online platform, for nearly 1000€. That's half the price for learning individual english lessons that - in my honest opinion - are the best method if you're very motivated and you want to improve your english fastly and correctly.
    In this case then, the language school in Genoa is offering a good deal as it is much less than this @flavioflavs. I'm in the process of negotiating with a hostel for accommodation. They are willing to give me some discount because I think they like that I want to come and study Italian! But I don't need lessons in English as I am a native speaker. It is Italian that I really want to learn.
    I'm sorry to hear things aren't working out working abroad @lisa but maybe you will be happier at home, and at leat you might be able to be all together again with your family.
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and I am very excited to be together with my daughter,she always askes me when I can go back to pick up her, now I can give her the exact answer. @mheredge
    When do you arrive home? Will you have any notice to work before you can leave Algeria @lisa?
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭
    Normally at the end of October, because my contract is invalid at that time. Unfortunately, I have to look for a new job when I arrive home, moreover, I want to have a rest and am together with my daughter. @mheredge
    I guess it will be difficult to apply for anything before you get back, as you won't be available for interview till then @lisa. What sort of thing will you be looking for?
  • DakotaDakota Posts: 43 Inactive
    @flavioflavs I'm italian too, and I can confirm what you said.

A lot of italian guys go aboad for learning trips, spending a lot of money...and I think that's a good way only if you can interact with other English people and not with of their fellow countrymen. ...
    and that's happens rarely!!!

Anyway I think, like you, that individual english lessons would be the best choice, especially for beginners...
    I agree @Dakota, that spending a lot on a trip to a country to learn the language is only worth it if you seriously make an effort to interact with locals and take full advantage of practicing the language you want to learn. @flavioflavs if you have the money, even better is to go to the country and have private lessons, then using the opportunity of being surrounded by native speakers, practice what you have learned. I did this to study Spanish in Colombia and it worked very well.