Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 27 June 2017 - Supermarkets adopting dynamic pricing

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,047 Teacher
We read an article about how supermarkets are thinking about changing the prices of goods depending on data that they receive from people:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/04/surge-pricing-comes-to-the-supermarket-dynamic-personal-data

Vocabulary Top 10:

haggling - to talk or argue with someone especially in order to agree on a price

high-minded - having or showing intelligence and a strong moral character

loss leader - a product sold at a loss to attract customers

bazaar - a type of market found especially in Middle Eastern countries that has rows of small shops which sell many different kinds of things

intuit - to know or understand (something) because of what you feel or sense rather than because of evidence : to know or understand (something) through intuition

soft touch - a person who readily gives or does something if asked

dodgy - false or dishonest; in bad condition; difficult or risky

bricks and mortar - used to describe a traditional store or business that is in a building instead of on the Internet

pay over the odds - to pay more for something than it is really worth

traipsing - to walk or go somewhere, especially wearily or reluctantly

Do you think it´s fair that different people are charged different amounts for the same product?

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,057 mod
    I hate this idea. It is so open to abuse.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,829 mod
    Do you think it´s fair that different people are charged different amounts for the same product?
    Apparently it's not agains the competition rules.
    Recently, some tourists in Bruges, Belgium, complained that they had to pay ten percent more for chips than the locals, but their complaint was rejected.
  • shadyrashedshadyrashed Posts: 70 ✭✭
    i don't like this idea .it will be used to benefit one party only (sellers ).they will try to use these things to know the right time to increase prices or as was mentioned in the article to save their fresh products and to make it more economical .
    i read before in another article that vending machines will use these features to get more profits for example the price of the cold drinks can increase during hot times or when the demand is high .i am afraid that nowadays things became more complicated .when you are trying to book a hotel or a flight tickets prices will fluctuate depending on a lot of factors ,it is very difficult to compare between these prices .which i found it absolutely unfair .
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,829 mod
    Everytime I go to the market, I try to compare the prices from one stall to the other, but because there are sometime quite a lot and I can't remember anymore which one asks the best price, I just choose one which I think has good stuff and good price.
    And you'll see, when I have bought it, the next seller I come across will have a better one. :(
This discussion has been closed.