Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 17 July 2017 - The perfect wedding dress

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,060 Teacher
We read an article about what makes the perfect wedding dress:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150616-whats-the-perfect-wedding-dress

Vocabulary Top 10:

expat - short form of expatriate = a person who lives in a foreign country

frilly - looking like a frill : having wavy edges

baffling - completely confusing

nuptials - a wedding or wedding ceremony

pared back - with no unnecessary features; reduced to a very simple form

angular - having one or more angles; sharp and straight instead of round or curved

aisle - a passage where people walk: such as a passage between sections of seats in a church, theater, airplane, etc

orchard - a place where people grow fruit trees

sequin - a small piece of shiny metal or plastic that is sewn onto clothes as a decoration

catwalk - the raised structure that models walk along in a fashion show; a narrow structure for people to walk on along a bridge or high up on the side of a building

What do wedding dresses normally look like in your country?
If you are married, what did you wedding dress/your wife´s wedding dress look like?

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    A sad news for potential brides?
    The world's biggest wedding gown company closes all its shops in USA.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/15/alfred-angelo-closes-all-us-bridal-shops-files-for-bankruptcy-6/
    Would you feel desperately depressed if you didn't have any wedding dress to wear? The answer is no for me, because I saw my mother kept her wedding gowns for many years, but she still had an unhappy marriage. That influences me and let me learn a lesson which is life matters, not that you-only-wear-for-one-day dress. Did I ruin girls' dream of being a one-day-princess in the wedding? I am sorry, but it's very important to focus on the marriage life, not live under the control of the commercial society. I mean we shouldn't feel sorry if we don't have a wedding or can't afford a wedding dress. And besides, if I have money, I would like to spend it on something more practical.

Anyway, Japanese wedding gowns: