Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 25 July 2017 - What not to do in an emergency

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 963 Teacher
We read the first half of an article about the common mistakes people make in emergency situations:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170711-what-not-to-do-in-a-disaster

We will read the second half of the article next week (1/8), starting from 3. Tunnel Vision.

Vocabulary Top 10:

fuselage - the main part of an airplane : the part of an airplane that holds the crew, passengers, and cargo

wreckage - the broken parts of a vehicle, building, etc., that has been badly damaged or destroyed

debris - the pieces that are left after something has been destroyed; things (such as broken pieces and old objects) that are lying where they fell or that have been left somewhere because they are not wanted

ill-advised - not wise or sensible

grit - mental toughness and courage

unbuckle - to open the buckle of (something, such as a belt)

even-handed - not favoring one side or group over another; fair

rooted to the spot - unable to move because you are very frightened or shocked

last ditch attempt - made as a final effort to keep something bad from happening

disconcertingly - in a way that makes someone upset or embarrassed

What do you think you would do if you were in an emergency situation?

Comments

• saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Emergency situations that mean it will happend suddenly! And we have to take raction immediately, how we can do that?
    We must keep training about safety, and be awareness if you visit any place where is the emergency exist.
    If someone hurt and you are not know about what you can do you have to screams for help and call the emergency.
    Disaster also could happening for first time, we should training for all situations that could happpen in our world.

It's good article to remember us and know about mistakes of others.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 963 Teacher
    Vocabulary Top 10 (1/8)

perserveration - the repetition of a particular response (such as a word, phrase, or gesture) despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus

stumbling block - something that stops you from doing what you want to do

back and forth - toward the back and then toward the front : backward and forward; between two places or people

sheer (stupidity) - used to emphasize the large amount, size, or degree of something; complete and total (has other meanings too)

scrambling - to move or climb over something quickly especially while also using your hands; to move or act quickly to do, find, or get something often before someone else does

fetch - to go after and bring back (someone or something)

banish - to cause (something) to go away : to get rid of (something); also to send (someone or something) away

hairy - causing fear or tension : dangerous or stressful (there is also another, more well known definition!)

eclectic - including things taken from many different sources

hunch - a belief or idea about something (especially a future event) that is not based on facts or evidence

What should you do in an emergency situation?
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that being faced with a gorilla in a wild dense unexplored forest might well be defined a hairy emergency situation... literally.
    However, in this case, I'm afraid threatingly keep waving a razor might turn out of no use at all.
    Let alone the case it happens you become the unexpectedly tempting hair-less mate to the beast.. sigh.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 963 Teacher
    Ok, that can be one of our scenarios for Thursday - how to escape from a gorilla in a wild, dense, unexplored forest @filauzio :D maybe a giant razor might work?
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be @NatashaT ;) .
    I was just joking with the word ' hairy ' which has this interesting double meaning. The article you posted was very interesting in showing how routinary our behaviour might turn out even when what you need is just to do away with it so fast as possible.
    Therefore, for instance, your first thought while having survived a plane's crash-landing, is to light-heartedly extract your bag from the overhead luggage-rack: perhaps, by the time, the fuselage is split in two halves and already caught fire.
    Your pre-frontal cortex, the part of your brain which should more promptly elaborate the variety of the environmental stimuli, has shut down.
    I think we should stop, sometimes, and think that none of the stuff we currently put on or bring with us matters more or is worthier than one human life, ours or others'.
    With this thought in mind, we should avoid behaving like a dazzled, paralysed deer, instead hastening, racing towards a safe place.
    That said, I'm afraid my behaviour in an emergency would be that of a clumsy guy, given the longer than average time it took me to unfasten the seat-belt, during a flight: I was about to ask the hostess to help me out. :D

Then, most probably, resuming the adventure with the gorilla, I suppose I would dreamily think to be brought face to face with my mirrored image.
    Then, after briefly reproaching myself with too grown a beard, I would buckle down to shave myself. Perhaps I would think the beast's grunts as nothing more than borborygmus from myself.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 101 ✭✭
    @NatashaT Thank you very much for such an informative and awesome session. I've learned a lot of useful information and words.
This discussion has been closed.