Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Procrastination is the thief of time

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

I find deadlines are the best way to focus the mind and get things done.

That's very true. I try to set myself my own deadlines, but at the back of my mind I know that nothing will really happen if I don't make it.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I purposely left a few things to do before I go this morning to catch my long-distance bus to Seville. This way I won't be left waiting, trying to kill time before I have to go.
  • manalmousamanalmousa Posts: 5 Inactive
    Hello everyone, procrastination is bad I agree, but we do it with tasks that we don't enjoy, for example, years ago I used this method (procrastination) when I don't want to do ironing in order to push my sister to do it.

I know that this behavior was impolite, hopping my sister will forgive me.

May be the solution for procrastination is to enjoy the tasks we should achieve, but HOW????

This is the secret we have to discover.
    @manalmousa I am dreadful and put off things I don't want to do all the time!
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend who always talks about the things he is going to do, but never seems to get around to doing them. Is this procrastination as a conversation @Xanthippe? Some things he talks about are easy for him to do, but his dream to go on a cruise is somewhat limited because he has managed to let his American passport lapse and has lost his British one!

Hello everyone, procrastination is bad I agree, but we do it with tasks that we don't enjoy, for example, years ago I used this method (procrastination) when I don't want to do ironing in order to push my sister to do it.

I know that this behavior was impolite, hopping my sister will forgive me.

May be the solution for procrastination is to enjoy the tasks we should achieve, but HOW????

This is the secret we have to discover.

Yes, I think it's always for tasks that people don't want to do. If you are looking forward to something, you don't put it off.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, maybe if he sees too many details and obstacles and considers them in his mind...
    But you should ask the author himself ;). He is on FB.
  • walterwalter Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Yes, deadlines are powerfull tool for overcoming procrastinations. I always giving our-self some deadlines for do some activities and often that deadlines be emergency, than they really are.
    walter said:

@mheredge Yes, deadlines are powerfull tool for overcoming procrastinations. I always giving our-self some deadlines for do some activities and often that deadlines be emergency, than they really are.

I do try to set deadlines for myself, but I think in the back of my mind I know they're not "real" deadlines, so I still procrastinate a little.
    edited August 2018
    When there is a lot to do, I don't procrastinate @walter. In fact I become much more productive.
    Here are 5 tips for when you feel overwhelmed by the amount you have on your plate.

https://hbr.org/2018/08/5-things-to-do-when-you-feel-overwhelmed-by-your-workload
    mheredge said:

Here are 5 tips for when you feel overwhelmed by the amount you have on your plate.

https://hbr.org/2018/08/5-things-to-do-when-you-feel-overwhelmed-by-your-workload

Some of these tips are really good. I think a lot of people just feel far too overwhelmed by their workload, and they put their head in the sand because of this.
    I am here instead of completing my tax return and doing a couple of other chores that really I must get on with!
    I procrastinates lot stuff. For example, I planning for a long time to start to boxing or swimming. Also I want to enrol some English school to enhancing my grammar and speaking ability. But I was talking about this for long time, and I didn`t start yet. Always, I have some other obligations which are more important than this.
    walter said:

I procrastinates lot stuff. For example, I planning for a long time to start to boxing or swimming. Also I want to enrol some English school to enhancing my grammar and speaking ability. But I was talking about this for long time, and I didn`t start yet. Always, I have some other obligations which are more important than this.

You just need to think carefully about whether the things you're doing really are all that important, or whether you might be able to just leave them and do something else.
  • Ali1Ali1 Posts: 102 Inactive
    > @mheredge said:
    > When there is a lot to do, I don't procrastinate @walter. In fact, I become much more productive.

yes you are right. i become more productive under the pressure,in particular, with the important chores. but the problem is with the personality development, i put a scant amount of concern and always put these of. but what i can notice is you put a prodigious amount of effort to develop yourself when you start feeling the loss.(post-trauma growth)
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
    edited August 2018
    I used to procrastinate all the time. Then I started writing lists. Then I procrastinated about writing the list! So I gave up and just did things when they needed doing. It works!
  • VokVok Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    What makes things easier for me is to start first with a simple task just to get the ball rolling. Then I can get into something more challenging and accomplish a lot more. I believe that procrastination can be used to get accustomed to a task. Once the task is thought through thoroughly it can be finished quicker.
    @Ali1 When I have some duty, I always start to prepare for it at time. When I was a student, I prepared my exams one week before. Now is the same situation, when I have some obligation I trying to finish as earlier, and when it comes day for that duty I have prepare all stuff which is concerns at them.
    As I just have a week to go before I go to Nepal for six weeks, I have suddenly become extremely productive and have stopped my usual dithering and procrastinating @Ali1. When I get to Nepal too, I will have to be very organised as somehow I seem to have filled up every day with something!

The most annoying thing about this week however, is that the electrician who was supposed to come on Tuesday morning to redo a job that will take a couple of days has been delayed to Thursday now (the sage of my new fusebox continues...). I just hope he will be finished by Friday. I don't think it is his fault however, only he had another job that has taken longer than planned.
    @[email protected] @walter i sometime regrets the days and years that have been bast with nothing availed from them. If i had just invested a few minutes every day in a specific topic, i would have mastered it. every one should manage his time for the short and his long-term duties. no moment should go in vain.

I used to procrastinate all the time. Then I started writing lists. Then I procrastinated about writing the list! So I gave up and just did things when they needed doing. It works!

I always used to write lists to put off doing other things, then I realised what I was doing, so I stopped doing the lists.
    I don't think that you should ever regret time that you don't think was productive @Ali1 as you probably underestimate what you learned and experienced during that time. Even though I spent a year on teacher-training and another year teaching before I thought I'd wasted two years and wanted to do something different, I learned a lot in those two years just the same.
    @Ali1 I think that of each part of life we can to learn something useful for us. For example that time which you consider as ''in vain'' spend, you can to get conclusion something for that. You now knowing in the future to better organising your time and to do stuff which is important for you. And when pass some time in the future we will can to say: In past I worked hard at this stuff and now I am master in that. I think that at ours mistakes and ours failures we learn the best.
    @Ali1 I was the same as you in that respect. I used to think about most of the things that if I'd started earlier or spent time doing things more productively, I'd have achieved more. These haunting thoughts just demoralised me. I try not to dwell on the past anymore if the things went not as I'd planned. Present is more important after all.
    I have to dig through some paperwork and old emails - a job I hate doing, but have to do by this afternoon. Having a deadline means I have to do it!
    mheredge said:

I have to dig through some paperwork and old emails - a job I hate doing, but have to do by this afternoon. Having a deadline means I have to do it!

I set aside one evening every months to do all of my paperwork, and I usually find that that's enough to get everything sorted.
    edited August 2018
    @[email protected] yes, you can say that again. even those moment we think they were not fully savored or benefited, we still get lessons from. the lessons could be expensive. but as much as you experience the pain, you will predict your future [email protected] this is the most successful techniques to forget about the past cuz nothing we can do with and try to work in the present moments (it is called present because these moments are really gifts)
    edited August 2018
    @mheredge When I worked at the office I spent almost an hour each morning wadding through tons of emails. I hope my new job will envolve less work like this.