Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Procrastination is the thief of time

13»

Comments

• pezhmanpezhman Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I started procrastination as I find myself suppose to learn English because I cant study it when I am at home. then I substitute library and it worked but not as much as I need. I have one idea, if we repeat task day by day they become part of us and we don't have to force ourselves to do them, or even think about them we do them just automatically. my problem is the day that library is close and it change my habitual manner. what should I do? I think none of suggestions can help if I don't try more.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been a bit like this with Italian @pezhman, though today I did pass the Italian Embassy and as the door was open, went inside to ask for information about Italian lessons available in Nice. I now will procrastinate about contacting the person that might be able to provide me with more details!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Vok said:

@mheredge When I worked at the office I spent almost an hour each morning wadding through tons of emails. I hope my new job will envolve less work like this.

I'm the same. I get so many requests from people to complete work, and I have to turn the majority of it down, but I always reply to every single email I get.
    You have just reminded me that I have to respond to a Skype message that I haven't yet replied to as I was interrupted by a call @GemmaRowlands! Like you, I try to respond as quickly as possible to messages. Not only do I think it is good manners, but if I leave it, I will forget.
  • SunInVirgoSunInVirgo Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Generally, i am agree that procrastination is the thief of time. But may be sometimes, procrastination saves us from unnecessary activity ?
    I think that this is not always bad to procrastinate something or don't do at all. Sometimes, we are sure that we need to do something.
    But do we really need ? There was the belief in the past, that everyone has his/her own genius ( a good daemon in the ancient Greece tradition), that saves us
    also from wrong and dangerous activity. Christianity has the similiar conception of an guardian angel.
    For example. I think many of us heard stories, in which people
    postponed a flight and saved their lives because there was a plane crash. May be not always similiar cases are just coincidence ?
    mheredge said:

You have just reminded me that I have to respond to a Skype message that I haven't yet replied to as I was interrupted by a call @GemmaRowlands! Like you, I try to respond as quickly as possible to messages. Not only do I think it is good manners, but if I leave it, I will forget.

I always forget about messages if I don't reply to them straight away, so I really can't afford to procrastinate from doing that!
    I am the same @GemmaRowlands. Sometimes if I can't respond in full, I will even tell the person that I am travelling and if they don't hear from me by the end of the week, to remind me as I might forget to get back to them!
    mheredge said:

I am the same @GemmaRowlands. Sometimes if I can't respond in full, I will even tell the person that I am travelling and if they don't hear from me by the end of the week, to remind me as I might forget to get back to them!

I should do that. I think people think I'm rude sometimes for not responding to a message, but I genuinely meant to do so!
    I have a message that I received a couple of days ago that since I have access and my laptop, I can respond to. But from next week I won't be taking my laptop around with me when I travel.
  • JuleeJulee Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    Well said, "Procrastination is the thief of time". It's true that making deadlines helps you to get the work done. However, you should be very affirmed about timing and your goal.
  • ArvinArvin Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I presume procrastination means engaging part of our brain with something that reduce our ability to concentrate on other tasks. Because our brain continually want to recall us that "you should do something" and if we throw it out at that time doesn't mean that we get rid of that and a bit later that thought will come to our mind and in longer time that can cause anxiety. This was my experience. So "Procrastination is the thief of time" and energy!
    You are right @Arvin. To postpone whatever we don't want to do, we have to actively find excuses, find ways to push it to the back of our minds and wriggle out of doing it.
  • walterwalter Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    I realized that I procrastinated the previous month. I was thinking so much what is my purpose to doing this job when I don`t have what to do sometimes. I thinking what I can to do for time when I have a free time at job, respectively when I finis my job, but I must to stay at job because my work time is not over. I thinking a lot and I did`t anything. But for that time I realized what is interesting for me, and how to spend my free time at job.
  • nathankevinnathankevin Posts: 137 ✭✭
    @mheredge: the topic make me think of my circumstance now. I am working in the group and I understand the benefits of team working but I also find out its advantages. To make the job done, team work needs consensus of all team members this created the procrastination meanwhile the deadline is very tight.
    You mean if everyone can't decide like the politicians in the UK over Brexit, nothing gets done and deadlines are missed @nathankevin. There's been a lot of procrastination over this and the deadline just keeps getting closer and closer.
    Julee said:

Well said, "Procrastination is the thief of time". It's true that making deadlines helps you to get the work done. However, you should be very affirmed about timing and your goal.

You do have to have a lot of self control if you want to meet deadlines, as you can't put things off if you want to get them all done on time.
    I wasn't in the mood for work today. I will just have to wait till I get back from my week away in the Far Western Region of Nepal.