Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 21 August 2017 - Total solar eclipse

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 965 Teacher
We read an article which answers many questions people have about the total solar eclipse which happened today:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/15925410/total-solar-eclipse-2017-explained

Vocabulary Top 10:

bull´s eye - the small circle at the center of a target toward which people throw darts or shoot arrows or bullets

chirp - to make a short high-pitched sound (like bird´s ´talking´)

compiled - put together/organised various things in a publication or collection; created something by gathering other things

complied - did what you were asked or ordered to do

tilt - to lift or move (something) so that one side is higher than another side

slant - to not be level or straight up and down

sift - to go through (something) very carefully in order to find something useful or valuable

swath - a long, wide strip of land

eerie - strange and mysterious

wispy - very thin and light

Did you see this eclipse, or any other eclipses?
If not, would you like to see an eclipse like this?

Comments

• RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 101 ✭✭
    First of all I would like to say thank you Natasha for an awesome session and for your efforts! :) It was amazing and interesting.
    And as for you question - Yeah. I've seen it twice. It was great, and I've seen a lot of people where staying on the streets and looking in the sky holding some photographic tapes in order to see it clearly. But actually watching the eclipse was great. :)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,549 mod
    edited August 2017
    Natural phenomena make me always excited.
    Any of them; from a total solar eclipse to just very dark clouds.
    That's why I try to not complaining even if it is raining for days. :)
    Total solar eclipse is really amazing, really cool! :)
    I'm sure I won't get boared watching it even if it happens more frequent.
    You will feel blessed if you are able to witness it with your own eyes, right @RaraAvis ? :)
    Because it happens so rare and even when you are at the place to be, a lot of things can make it impossible to watch for example suddenly it becomes cloudy or you've just blinked when the diamond appears (it happens always not long enough :( ) or you are just busy with your camera .... grrrr .
    You have to wait another ten years then and hoping that next time you will learn from your mistake and pay more attention, which is mostly only wishful thinking.

Yes, I have seen total solar eclipses twice and a couple of total lunar eclipses.

This is a picture from September 28, 2015 when I saw an almost 100% lunar eclipse.

Lunar eclipse almost 100%
    edited August 2017
    @april Yes, that's for sure very amazing and interesting thing. Especially if you have the possibility to see the full eclipse. I've seen it like this. - https://c.tadst.com/gfx/750x500/total-solar-eclipse.jpg?1 Of course this photo was taken by a camera (not mine) but I also saw the sky. But it was wonderful. :)
  • saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Interesting!
    You read about science, unfortunately I missed your session. But I will try to read it with myself. Do you finish all Articles?
    About the question, When it had been happening they didn't allow us to go out we, they think it's not good for health and we don't have that glasses for eclipse.
    @april nice picture!
    @RaraAvis you're lucky you saw it in real!
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 965 Teacher
    @saraal No, we didn´t have time to finish it all - but in today´s session the people who read the last part by themselves are going to explain it to everyone else ;)

That´s a shame that you weren´t able to see it! But they are right in one way, it can be very dangerous for your eyes to look directly at the sun.
    @saraal Thank you. Yeah, it was awesome. :)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,549 mod
    Actually, it's quite absurd that we travel accross the world just to watch this phenomenon for maximum 6 minutes, don't you think?
    But I just can't help it.
    :D
  • JohnofvillageJohnofvillage Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Path of totality
    Eclipse chaser
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solar eclipse is definitely a magnificent phenomenon you wouldn't want to miss. The daylight suddenly turns into darkness, the stars start winking in the sky, and the variegated buzzing of people nearby suddenly drops, as soon as the moon, begins its slow veiling the sun.
    It recalls me the image of the odalisque who dances before the sultan.
    I feel relieved, though, that such a dancer seems to be on the way of emancipation, given the sultan has to content himself with just a few minutes' show, besides to be repeated as frequently as just once in 18 months, and in different locations.
    As for the people who book in advance in order to get first row seats for the show, I think they have good reasons, since the rare spectacle is worth such a planning.
    Nevertheless, by analysing the process more closely, I can't avoid considering it's quite amazing how the routine thinking seems quite subverted here.
    I mean, solar eclipse is perhaps the one phenomenon where masses of people, contrary to daily behaviour, hurry, race and gather where to be cast a shadow upon, to be overshadowed; they, all together then, will take a collective bath of humbleness and selflessness.
    I suppose, however, that, once the event has passed, people would hurry to put on their selves again, and, switching back their phones from camera to social, will resume scrolling their eclipse-proof posts, to check out for the number of likes.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !