Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
Learn English in March

AM/PM Session - 22 August 2017 - Do we need personal brands?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,149 Teacher
We read an article which argued that personal brands aren´t really needed - that products need brands, not people!

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170723-the-case-against-personal-brands

Vocabulary Top 10:

gig economy - a way of working that is based on people having temporary jobs or doing separate pieces of work, each paid separately, rather than working for an employer

fallible - capable of making mistakes or being wrong

aggravating - to make something bad more serious or severe; to make someone angry, or to annoy or bother them

palatable - pleasant or acceptable to someone

perpetual - continuing forever or for a very long time without stopping; happening all the time or very often

burnout - the condition of someone who has become very physically and emotionally tired after doing a difficult job for a long time

death knell - a sign or indication that something will fail or end soon (knell = a sound of a bell when it is rung slowly because someone has died)

idiosyncrasies - unusual ways in which a particular person behaves or thinks

subtlety - the quality or state of being subtle (subtle = not obvious); a small detail that is usually important but not obvious

reliant - needing someone or something for help, support, etc

Do you have a personal brand?
Do you think people need personal brands?

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Hi, there!

I agree with Sheryl’s opinion, when I am packaged, I’m unproductive and fake.

Do you have a personal brand?
    “I don’t have a brand”, so I will never give permission for someone package me. It’s not fair to me because I’m human and have feelings. We are so sophisticated and a lot of the time discordant, so we need to be genuine with ourselves.

Do you think people need personal brands?
    It depends if you really need that, in my opinion, nowadays it’s crucial in respect of our futures employers or sponsors. I mean, it’s indispensable you have a cautiously professional profile on LinkedIn if you are looking for a good job. However, I dislike sharing my private life on another social media.

Sorry, if I'm a little bit confused with the article.

Thanks, Natasha!
    Cya!
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 101 ✭✭
    @NatashaT I don't have a personal brand. I think that the best way to express yourself is not just to show off it's better to show your deeds and what you are capable of doing. Because sometimes people try to present themselves and show how awesome they are. But in reality it might be not that wonderful. So I guess we should be ourselves and do our job proficiently.
    As for you second question, I guess it depends. If people are talented but don't have money to promote themselves then the easiest way is to create your own personal brand. In such circumstances they can achieve their goal and become successful without going somewhere and begging to accept them for this or that job or position. And actually it works pretty well with people who don't have a state job. For example, they can make cakes. They create a page, have lots of feedback and they can make their business on their own without any help. So I guess it works great. The only thing is that a person should be gifted and do its job perfectly.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the one hand I understand that companies, nowadays, in order to fill their vacancies, keep examining the candidates' profiles on socials.
    On the other hand, people searching for job keep promoting themselves on socials, carrying on that personal branding which seems to be the one way to cry to the four winds their being skilled and highly educated, so as to thoroughly meet the majority of companies' requirements.
    It could be a profitable way for both the companies and job-seekers to strike a work agreement which rather resembles a buying-selling activity in the market place.
    But then the opportunities of jobs are so rapidly evolving in terms of either technological/digital skills, or capability of adaptation to ever new challenges, that companies can't but just skimming over a bunch of profiles.
    Perhaps human beings are much more than a two-dimensions profile which has much of a food's label listing ingredients and flavours.
    Nevertheless, you often can't help shelving yourself on socials and build up another pretty imagined yourself, a flawless bestseller version of.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !