Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Monday Night Owls - 25 September 2017 - 12 Ways Airports Manipulate Us

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
We read an article about the different ways airports complement and influence our behaviour:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/64808/12-behind-scenes-secrets-airports

Vocabulary Top 10:

trinket - a piece of jewelry or an ornament that has little value

bustling - to have a lot of busy activity; to move or go in a busy or hurried way

lingo - the special language used for a particular activity or by a particular group of people

tarmac - the area covered by pavement at an airport

nudge - to encourage (someone) to do something; to touch or push (someone or something) gently

subliminal - relating to things that influence your mind in a way that you do not notice

herd - (verb) to form a group or move as a group

sterile - very plain and not interesting or attractive; clean and free of bacteria and germs (this word also has other meanings)

self-indulgent - allowing yourself to have or do whatever you want in a way that is excessive or wasteful

dwell - to think or talk about something for a long time, or to spend a lot time with something

Have you noticed any of these airport tricks? Do you think they are good or bad things for the passengers?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a well saying: ' ... in order for you not to make any comparison and think the next queue is maybe speeding up more quickly, we just set up one queue.. '.
    Since I wasn't keeping up with the latest digital facilities supplied by most airports, I had to experience staying in queue for any services run by employees at the counter.
    No automated bag-drop, check-in or security checking for me, but just a series of queues.
    Nevertheless, I appreciated the tortuous path of any of them, according to as the article goes: ' ... the more turns and twists the better.. '.
    This way, in fact, I could follow through seeing the performance which was taking place at the security spot; I could enjoy it from any possible prospects and points of view.
    The security officers had a woman almost stripped of any possessions and passing again and again through the metal-detector frame, as the machine were still responding at phantomatic metal objects.
    Luckily enough, in a final feeling of pity, after the poor bewildered woman had already taken off her shoes, they decided she most probably weren't a terrorist in disguise.
    They could have gone more ' conversational ' by saying something like: ' It's very hot today, don't you think, it's a burning heat .. even your shoes are smoking, have a look yourself '.
    Then, after being saved from attending the strip show any further, we are allowed to herd heading for any of our final destinations, the gates.
    A swarm of zombified humans, who keep striding along the twisting paths, systematically neglecting the shops and stalls which get in their way, eyes fixed to the overcrowded signage like craning cranes, tiredly hauling their baggage on wheels, which keep screeching at every turns or twists, or whenever you have to dodge a passing by passenger, who suddenly cut in, maybe seeking to steal you of the last seat by the window.
    Finally, you decide to comply to your inner self and enter the toilette.
    While relaxing, just one only truth is well fixed into your mind: by walking, turning and twisting your way to the gate, your journey inside the airport has certainly exceeded in length the stated mileage of your flight.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Have you noticed any of these airport tricks?

Unhappily, I'm not familiar with that topic, actually, I have never got to an airport to travel to another city. However, I found the subject really interesting, so when I can go to the airport I will try to observe those 12 points.

Do you think they are good or bad things for the passengers?

It depends on your point of view, so it is really relative. Definitely, I find the airport is designed to the mass who can easily is manipulated, so if you don't do part of that one, that place is absolutely safe for your pocket.

The passengers can escape from some traps and just spend their money on basic necessities (eat a healthy meal and drink water) and spend their precious time reading a good book while waiting for their scale.

In my opinion, nowadays - with that free information - you can avoid that kind of situation and keep awake all the time, in spite of the most parcel of the population is completely alienated in one of that kind of culture - uncontrolled consumerism. To be honest, I find the retail always has in their hand the power to manipulate the mass according to their own interests.

The humanity, undoubtedly, must awake and stops to playing with those kinds of toys, just facing - the childhood is over!

Cheers!
    edited September 2017
    I couldn't post my comments, why?
    :(

Unhappily, I'm not familiar with that topic, actually, I have never got to an airport to travel to another city. However, I found the subject really interesting, so when I can go to the airport I will try to observe those 12 points.

It depends on your point of view, so it is really relative. Definitely, I find the airport is designed to the mass who can easily is manipulated, so if you don't do part of that one, that place is absolutely safe for your pocket.

The passengers can escape from some traps and just spend their money on basic necessities (eat a healthy meal and drink water) and spend their precious time reading a good book while waiting for their scale.

In my opinion, nowadays - with that free information - you can avoid that kind of situation and keep awake all the time, in spite of the most parcel of the population is completely alienated in one of that kind of culture - uncontrolled consumerism. To be honest, I find the retail always has in their hand the power to manipulate the mass according to their own interests.

The humanity, undoubtedly, must awake and stops to playing with those kinds of toys, just facing - the childhood is over!

Cheers.

Cheers.
    Sorry, dear Natasha, I had issues with my computer, and for me at the moment, didn't appear my posts. So sorry, just now it appears to me, so I can't delete it now.
    Please, it wasn't my intention, so don't punish me dear @Lynne. :(