Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

AM/PM Session - 3 October 2017 - Foods fads: fermented foods

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
We read an article talking about one of the latest food fads - fermented foods.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/26/does-kimchi-and-other-fermented-foods-give-you-more-fizz

Vocabulary Top 10:

kombucha - a drink produced by fermenting sweet tea with a culture of yeast and bacteria

kefir - a fermented milk drink; a sour-tasting drink make from cow's milk fermented with certain bacteria

sauerkraut - a fermented food made of a vegetable (called a cabbage) that is cut into small pieces and soaked in a salty and sour liquid

harnessing - using something for a particular purpose

handy - very useful or helpful

delicacies - a food that people like to eat because it is special or rare

culinary - used in or relating to cooking

deluge - a large amount of things that come at the same time

stomach bug - a usually mild illness that can be passed from one person to another

assimilation - to adopt (something) as part of a larger thing

Do you eat any fermented foods?

Do you think they are good for your health?

Comments

• saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Hi Natasha

yes I have to eat or drink once a day for example yogurt, or leben ( it's fermented product from milk, liquid as milk with sour test as yogurt) I replaced milk by them they are delicious and isn't heavy on stomach.
    ( I read an article that talk about kind of bacteria have a positive effect on some diseases, I am not sure exactly which one. and this bacteria ( probiotic) exist in yogurt.)
    I can't forget cheese ;) is the main part of my breakfast.
    We need to eat some of them that supply with probiotics which is good for our flora.

Actually, Fermentation product have benefits for our health but nothing is complete!
    As we know alcohol is one of the fermentation product it's harmful!

There is a lots of fermented product not just for eating and drinking, also for cars :D " biofuels"

Fermentation is a big process, maybe we thought that some product is from plants but its come from fermentation!
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, fermented foods can be separated into two big groups: one is useful and the other is for pleasure. We have already known that fermented foods has handy side-effect. We make them for preservation and healthy benefits and almost all of them are tasty. I like this kind of fermented foods. I even make them by my own such as amazake which is a traditional Japanese sweet non-alcohol drink made from rice, kimchi, tsukemono, traditional Japanese pickles, which they put various vegetables in the paste of rice bran, Meigan cai which is a type of dry pickled Chinese leaf mustard,etc..

As you know, we human are very strange creature. We don't just eat food for nutritional needs. We eat them for pleasure. We tire of tasting the same food, so we create another way to eat. Sometimes we make them more delicious, but sometimes we just want the pleasure of torture. I mean to get pleasure from hurting our normal sense of taste, not that sexual pleasure you are imagining, so we kind of invent smelly fermented foods such as surströmming (Swedish fermented herring), kusaya (Japanese fermented fish). I am sure they are not tasty and you definitely can gain more nutrients you want in a normal way of cooking that fish. Anyway, do you believe that intellectual ferment produced idea is the legacy that our ancestors left to us? Well, I do.

I know you know tofu, but do you know this kind of tofu?
    Fermented bean curd

Stinky tofu (they put tofu into a brine made from fermented milk, vegetables, and meat)

Look how excited they are! See I told you human beings love these things. :mrgreen:

@NatashaT Do you think Katsuobushi is a fermented food? Because I remember you said that cheese is not totally a fermented food?... By the way, I don't think it depends on what food you ferment to get benefits. I mean the fermentation process enhances the nutritional quality of food, therefore, bacteria is the key, isn't it? Did I misunderstand your question?
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
    If I saw tofu like that, I would think that it had gone bad and would throw it in the bin :D:s

@Shiny03 I looked it up, and most places describe it as dried, fermented smoked tuna, so technically it is a fermented food... although I probably wouldn´t think of it like that if I hadn´t read those descriptions. As @saraal said in the session, there are many things that are fermented and we don´t even realise!

You understood the question! I think you might be right - maybe the type of bacteria used in the fermenting process is more important than which food is being fermented.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shiny03 wrote:

' ... As you know, we human are very strange creature. We don't just eat food for nutritional needs. We eat them for pleasure. We tire of tasting the same food, so we create another way to eat. Sometimes we make them more delicious, but sometimes we just want the pleasure of torture. I mean to get pleasure from hurting our normal sense of taste, not that sexual pleasure you are imagining, so we kind of invent smelly fermented foods such as surströmming (Swedish fermented herring), kusaya (Japanese fermented fish). I am sure they are not tasty and you definitely can gain more nutrients you want in a normal way of cooking that fish. ... '

I heard a broadcast during which an Italian woman, probably a writer, currently resident in Japan, told her experience with several kind of fermented food, especially fish. She said that she wanted to taste any of these foods, as it were sort of an ordeal to get in syntony with the general local taste for foods.
    She, in a quite unveiled manner, confessed that she was undergoing a real torture. However at the time I was listening to her agony, I couldn't but just try to figure out the meaning of all that. Now, thanks to @Shiny03, I understand those fermented foods are really smelly and repugnant either to smell, sight or finally taste.
    Therefore my question is: Do we really invent and prepare these foods out of supposedly healthy spur, or rather as a form of edible masochism ? :D
    The video @Shiny03 posted really seems to be backing the second option.

Nevertheless, I think that fermented foods can be really good for your health, but maybe not so much for your health as for your eased digestion, since, as the article went, part of the work has already been made by the bacteria.
    I'm a fan of raw vegetables too, because I think that fermented vegetables get a spoiled taste in respect to their genuine original one. So what you gain in digestibility you perhaps miss in taste.
    All the same, in my breakfast routine I never skip the yoghurt which I call my virtual medicine or drug in disguise. Never suffered again from gut's disorder since taking up this healthy habit.
    My last consideration is why we took so long in acquaint ourselves with our trillions of gut's microbes, since their existence trace back to the origin of the humans on The Earth.
    Maybe they were very silent in feeding on us so long; to such an extent I believe no one accidentally dropped their spoon either.

By the way, in another thread called ' Bacteria ' @Lynne posted an article in which healthy gut's bacteria were considered as having to do, in some way, even with the prevention of autism.

http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/comment/226986#Comment_226986
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !