Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 10 October 2017 - Distressed fashion

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,026 Teacher
We read an article about the ´distressed fashion´ trend - when clothes are ripped and teared before you even buy them!

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2017/aug/18/distressed-fashion-making-sense-of-pre-ripped-clothes

Vocabulary Top 10:

prick up your ears/ears prick up - start to listen carefully or pay attention to something

caked - to become dry and hard

howl - to say something in a loud and angry way

mangled - something damaged severely by cutting, tearing, or crushing

mainstream - the thoughts, beliefs, and choices that are accepted by the largest number of people

high street - catering to the needs of the ordinary public

jumping the shark - a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity

grande dame - a usually old woman who is highly admired or respected

grunge - a type of loud rock music that was popular especially in the early 1990s and the fashions associated with it

tatters - clothes that are old and badly torn

What do you think of this fashion trend? Do you think this trend will continue?

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , I think about this fashion trend as of every fashion trend that are something ripetitive.
    Sometimes it goes to retake out a past cultures or periods of our story...maybe I'm making a mistake saying that but I think everytime, fashion, shows new collections, new styles and all of them brought back something from the past or from a past fashion trend....

If we try to think about...grunge, punk, rapper, progressive, classic, casual...all styles have been already seen...nothing new...
    clearly every time they are revisited,
    Probably in the future, maybe with the moon colonization :), we will see something new, but at the moment this is my idea...

For that concern the freedom of the choise I believe that everyone may wear what he like, obviously you should be smart and cleaver understending the different contexts...
    About me, during the week I have to wear the shirt and in general I must wear with a casual style but being onest, this does not mirror me in the normal life, where I prefer to wear more simply...
    At the end, stylistically speaking, it is right try to be yourself but sometimes you need to put a "mask"...
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God bless this fashion trend ! Long live the distressed clothes' whim !
    Now I'm going to pull my old garments out of the clothes-cupboard straightaway. I'm just a bit sad for my affectionate clothes-moths rearing, since any of these cute insects will no longer have any fabrics to quietly feed away and thrive upon.
    Yet, as the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
    In order to add insult to the injury of the holes, then, I'll take a further step on the fashion'r rut whose slogan seems to be: the more you scavenge among garbage to win your clothes the more I'll spot you as a celebrity.
    I'm going to launch the fashion of wearing year-long deserting washing-machine garments. This way any of the would-be celebrities wearers will even make it to easily meet and hang out with one another... just by lifting their nose a bit and start sniffing about.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,026 Teacher
    @Bassa Do you think this distressed clothing is just revisiting another style from the past? Maybe grunge or punk?

And yes, wearing clothing that is appropriate for the situation is extremely important - I´m sure your boss and customers wouldn´t think you were so stylish if you wore these types of clothes to work! At times, fitting in is more important than showing your personality.

@filauzio It sounds like you are going to be the new trend setter in fashion! :D Although it is a shame to give up your moth farm... perhaps you just need to buy some new clothes to give to the moths? You will need them to work on your next collection, it might take a while!

I´m sure that the trend would end very quickly though if the smell of the clothes matched the cleanliness of the style :s
    Yes.. a shame.. really, @NatashaT .
    Nevertheless, since you seem genuinely, good-heartedly to symphatize with me about the abandoned moth farm, I made up my mind to reward your tender heart by packing straightaway my moths and sending you the swarming package together with my new fashion line first article of clothing. You lucky girl !! :D ;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were very poor when I was a child. My parents wouldn't buy me any new pair of shoes until they were terribly torn. I cherished them though, even they were mangled. I washed them and repaired them. I remember whenever it rained, it would become a disaster. My shoes would absorb water from the holes in the bottom like a scuttling ship. I hate the feeling of wearing damp heavy shoes. I would take them off, but it was not a good option to do either. When you walk with bare feet, you feel hurt and they will become black and dirty.

Then, I grew up and started earning some money. I buy outfits and check the material and every seam of it thoroughly. I don't want to waste money. I mean people like me who really have been through the experience in poverty. All we want is something durable and making us feel comfortable and cozy, not those holes, slash or cutouts on clothes without function.

In my teens, there was a singer becoming famous, because of her song and appearance. She sang a song wearing ripped jeans. That song was trying to convey the feeling of young people at that time. The concept is like I can do anything only if I feel like to. She was nominated and received a popular singer award. She was invited to that ceremony. She went, but in T-shirt and ripped jeans. Without doubt, she was rejected at the door and was not allowed to enter that place. I thought she was cool. In fact, teenagers like me admired her. However, when she grew old, she regretted, it was inappropriate to wear that for that occasion. But there was a TV star in his mid-thirties. He wore sandals with a tuxedo (actually flip-flops) and joined a movie adwards ceremony. An elderly designer critiqued it was rude, but other young designers praised him and commended why not. That TV star called it freedom and said they were made of leather by the way. That was the stupidest comment I have ever heard. I guess not everyone is growing old in wisdom.

Although you can't deny distressed look is attractive just like the image of Marlboro man smoking ads, those images are created purposely. They let celebrities put it on, then, tell us it's the symbol of freedom and rebellion. And now, they are going too far, they even put mud on shoes and holes on clothing, and call it labour-inensive ornamentation. Furthermore, even said if you dress like poor, you would understand them. It makes me think that fashion is going nowhere. You can't create something just thinking because people want something new and different.

I mean jeans itself are originally designed for blue collar workers standing for their hard work. You don't need to add something redundant. It's very strange that celebrities wear them to pretend they understand how they feel. And the public imitate them without realizing we are actually those people. In addition, they said, “no one wants to look like they’re trying too hard.” Well, I think their world is so small which only can accommodate celebrities as residents. I work hard for making money in order to buy clothes made of nice materials.

Above all, I am just an ordinary person. Let's make it simple and easy- it's going to look amazing if we just find something which fits our body type and enhances our silhouette.
    What's the difference between distressed clothes and DIY distressed clothes or real ragged clothes? Style or how much confident you feel when wearing them? To be honest, they all look same to me.... I admit I am not a stylish person.
    Would you dare to wear these thong jeans? :mrgreen:

a Spring/Summer 2018 collection at Amazon Fashion Week in Tokyo

@Shiny03 wrote:

' ... They let celebrities put it on, then, tell us it's the symbol of freedom and rebellion. And now, they are going too far, they even put mud on shoes and holes on clothing, and call it labour-inensive ornamentation... '

I agree; I also think that while celebrities, by wearing like hard labourers, pretend to become capable to understand how they feel like, that's just teasing and mocking at poor people.
    The celebrities will never manage to even approach in their mind what a decades-long worklife sweating blood might feel like... unless it were just a far distant harmless interpretation of a screen's character.
    My tears are falling down my face. They win. People do pick up these jeans in a shop. :bawling:

@Shiny03 , those jeans all make me laugh :D They have definitely taken the trend too far!!

And I really agreed with this part:
    Shiny03 said:

Let's make it simple and easy- it's going to look amazing if we just find something which fits our body type and enhances our silhouette.

Although I think we should maybe also add ´clean´ to the list, based on some of the clothes they are making!
    filauzio said:

I also think that while celebrities, by wearing like hard labourers, pretend to become capable to understand how they feel like, that's just teasing and mocking at poor people.

I agree, @filauzio - there´s a fine line here between fashion and mocking people who have no choice but to wear clothes like this.
  • BassaBassa Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , Yes I think that fashions in some way bring back from the past...styles, cultures, way of life...
    At least, if I think when I was teenager, me and my friends all tried to reflect a kind of style...I don't know..who tried to wear large trousers listening Rap music, who brought the dread hairs listening for instance Raggae, aren't them fashions that come from the past in a certain sense ?
    And now is the same....I'm thinking about, also if does not regard specifically clothes, a lot of man are using to take the long beard since few years, isn't a fashion from the past ?
    Or again, the pants shorter than normal so that everybody can see your ankles ?
    I suppose whoever would make it to wear in public the kind of jeans @Shiny03 posted in pictures should deserve what we in Italy call an obligatory sanitary treatment.
    That's as saying they deserve being taken care of, as a bit mentally ill, or at least as dangerously crazy kind of person.
    This way I'm afraid we'll get soon pairs of jeans where the only part made of fabric will be the label giving instruction on correct washing/drying/ironing.

@Bassa wrote:

' ... Or again, the pants shorter than normal so that everybody can see your ankles ?'

This phrase reminded me of another kind of distressed clothing trend.
    Sometimes people purposelly curtail their trousers or maybe just either fold up or roll up the end of the legs, in order to show their calves.
    You could think it quite a bizarre thing to do, unless you had to wade across a stream or a marsh.
    The simple reason is that they have to show off their tattoes ... even with wintertime's temperature.

Don't let them win ! Don't let further holes grow under our eyes ! Let's set up a ' eyes-distressing indecent clothing opposition movement '.