Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - Reinventing the idea of co-living

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 996 Teacher
We read an article about companies who are making co-living houses a business:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/20/co-living-companies-reinventing-roommates-open-door-common-

Vocabulary Top 10:

menial - used to describe boring or unpleasant work that does not require special skill and usually does not pay much money

radical - very new and different from what is traditional or ordinary; (in old slang - very appealing or good)

cookie cutter - very similar to other things of the same kind; not original or different

dorm - short for dormitory - a building on a school campus that has rooms where students can live; also a large room with many beds where people can sleep

connotation - an idea or quality that a word makes you think about in addition to its meaning

tiered - arranged in layers, rows, levels or tiers

insatiable - always wanting more; not able to be satisfied

defunct - no longer existing or being used

shuttered - closed for business for a period of time or forever

bed and breakfast (also called B & B ) - a house or small hotel in which someone can rent a room to sleep in for a price that includes breakfast the next morning

Have you ever lived in a co-living house?
What is the difference between this idea and sharing a house with friends?
Would you ever live in one?

PS. Try to use some of the vocabulary from the session in your comment!

Comments

• BellBell Posts: 47 ✭✭
    sadly, I missed this session which I intended to join. Reading articles and such activities are very radical to me and challenging! I have to reread the article several times till I get familiar with the new words and its pronunciations. That makes me think that learning English can be insatiable at times. When I get the sense that I accomplished something in my learning process, there's always something more that need to be tackled! Thanks for your efforts anyway.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I am sorry, but this is really a bad idea of living with lots of people. It's just an ad of co-living business for me. Look at what they said, “It’s like moving into a building where you know people are friendly already. ......" Are you out of your mind? That's the reason why people start acting wrong and how 'friendly' people turn into a monster. "The co-living homes are not party houses... hang around the house all day with their computers. " “Looking at our membership, at least 80% of them have full-time jobs in [New York] city,” Well, the point is not how long roommates stay at home or whether they have full time jobs or not. The thing is, imagine, after a hard day at work, you come home late and so tired, you probably would have a late meal, lie down on the sofa or maybe turn on TV and watch some junk shows, but suddenly you realize that you're living with a group of people sharing the same living room. You can't even unbutton your shirt and lose your trousers. I mean where else can you find to relax yourself and relieve stress? The only reason I work hard is to have a nice, comfy and carefree place to live. I decide my own rule. When I read this part in the article, “..... And, who would want to live their life alone?” Me! I answered immediately without any hesitation.

The truth is when two or more strangers live together, that's the beginning of war and the entrance of hell. I am not going to compare it with marriage, because it's another thing, they're different. Okay, maybe they are similar in some ways, up to the point of hell.(hhh...) Anyway, the responsibility of making a family is bigger than co-living.

Did you find anything new or profit in this idea? No, I can't. Maybe I am too stupid to figure it out. By the way, it reminds me of my bitter student life. No, thanks. I'm not going back to it.
  • saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Hi Natasha, connection of co-livening it isn't popular in where I have been living, because of cultures. Maybe if we put the residence of college and some of groups how work together they live together in the same concept, but they do that because they don't have family in same city. It's same of dormitory, not as bed and breakfast.
    Usually we tend to live with our family, some live also after marriage, if they live in mansions.
    For this idea, I was trying to live in college residence, but I realized that it's difficult. I share sometimes my room with my sister I can't manage the room during that time.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 996 Teacher
    @Bell Hopefully next time you can join us! (Just don´t forget to ask Lynne to add you to the group before the session!) But even if you can´t make it, you are always welcome to read the article and share your thoughts or questions here.

Good work on using the vocabulary words too! :wink:
    @Shiny03 That would be my worry, too - you don´t get to choose the people you have to share these common spaces with, which means there are going to be lots of different opinions on what is or isn´t appropriate behaviour in those spaces. And who gets to pick the TV channel? :D

Maybe these kinds of places are more suitable for extroverts, or people who like being surrounded by other people all the time? Or maybe they are more of a temporary type of housing, while you look for another place which you can call all your own (or at least, you and your friends or people you have chosen can call home...)

I think this might just be a way for people to make money from something that already exists - share houses.
    @saraal Yes, I thought that this type of living situation is probably more popular in some countries than in others. It´s a different situation when you need to live in a college dorm because the university is in a different city to where your family lives, and in some places, that would be the only reason you would choose to live in a place like that.

And yes - it´s difficult enough sharing a space with your family sometimes - imagine sharing with strangers! :D
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like my current situation, and it's great fun. ^^
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    Tell us more, @Zom !
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never lived in a co-living house, actually never lived out of my family's house!

I find it too much fun and exciting living with friends, on the other hand it might be the end of a friendship... So it depends on the people around you!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,690 mod
    So many years ago, when I was young and innocent, I lived with 22 of my friends in a section of the hospital where we did our study (it was not a dorm, though) and after having finished our study we still lived there together whilst working.
    Of course that was not that sort of co-living house like what they mentioned in the article because we were not really stranger to each other.
    I had nice memories of that time; from time to time we couldn't avoid an argument though.
    After that period, I shared a flat with a friend for a couple of years and there I could get along with my friend quite well too.
    Maybe it's easier to share a house with friends than to share it with strangers in a co-living house.
    I don't think I would like to live in such a co-living house where I have to cook or clean and do other menial tasks of living for 20 persons.
    It's too complicated, because life is unforeseeable.
    What if I suddenly become ill when I have to cook?
    What if my work is not a nine-to-five and Monday-to-Friday job? If it changes every day?
    A bit difficult to organise, isn't it?

Recently, I read an article that a young student was killed in her own appartment by a neighbour who lived in an appartment above her's.
    I hope that the companies will screen every resident profoundly to prevent such things.
    Sorry, I'm a bit paranoid. :)
  • Alisson_BrazilAlisson_Brazil Posts: 17 ✭✭
    After I read the article. I noticed that a person chooses to live with a group of people more out of necessity than out of free will. on the other hand, I think that sharing a home should be interesting when you want to save some money or when you are a needy person.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was too excited to catch up with you. If I misunderstand something, please correct me, @NatashaT . Thank you. :)

We used to share housing with other people because times are tough- we don't have much money and don't have choices most of the time. However, this time is different. Those entrepreneurs are trying to persuade us to have a communal living, besides, convince if you want to make friends with friendly people, this is the best way to carry it out. Am I reading a fairy tale? If I have a full-time job and pay the rent up to $1500 or $1800 a month, but still can't have my own bathroom and kitchen. I really don't what I am working for. It said in the article the number of living as roommates had almost doubled in the last 30 years. Well, that's because young people don't want to get married. Did you notice that the number of living with spouse had declined? People don't live with spouse, but might live with partner. That is to say, their life style has been changed. Apparently people don't take making a family as life goal. Young people want to spend money on themselves, enjoy their life and don't want the responsibility of being a role in a family. I think that statistic(graphic) doesn't show it has become popular that people started living with a bunch of people. But definitely they try to make it popular and a trend.

Hey, maybe they are right. We human are good at collaborating at tasks. We learn how to live with one other in a house and over time we learn that we need to develop shared values and commitments. It's about being a thoughtfully, socially person. We were born to be extroverts. It's so selfish to have our own property. The resources of the earth are limited. To have privacy means to ruin the harmony of human society. It's a refined living style. What are you waiting for, Brothers and Sisters?! Ugh, Just don't pull me in.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Co-living houses ? Uhm... renting one bed for that much money ? Uhmm... then having, in turns, to carry out menial tasks to keep oiling the communal living's wheels ? I'm wondering how many hours of leisure you will definitely enjoy in ' your own ', though shared house ?
    I mean, after subtracting either the sleep-hours or the work-hours from the day's 24 hours.
    I can give it the fancy connotation of playing as though roommates actually were cellmates, therefore compelled to pace their own tiny spot within the cell.
    Besides, never being allowed any reserve anymore.
    I'm wondering what the answer would be if a person recently put out of prison would be offered a co-living house's bed as a cheap accomodation.
    I guess he would decline and rather prefer an arrangement whatever, but absolutely living alone.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
This discussion has been closed.