Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

AM/PM Session - 17 October 2017 - Stadiums of the future

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
We read an article discussing the what stadiums of the future will look like:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/15/stadiums-future-holograms-drones-fan-experience

Vocabulary Top 10:

fromagerie - a cheese shop

microbrewery - a small brewery that makes beer in small amounts

half-time - the period of rest between the end of the first half and the beginning of the second half in games like football and basketball

astroturf - used for an artificial surface that resembles grass

beam - to send out (information, television signals, etc.) through wires or the air

bid - an attempt to win, get, or do something

convergence - to come together and have one interest, purpose, or goal

arms race - a situation in which countries that are enemies each try to build or collect weapons faster than the other can; also used to describe competition when groups try to prove that they are better than each other

concessions - a small business or shop where things are sold in a public place (such as a sports stadium)

concourse - a large open space or hall in a public building, usually near the entrance

What would you like to see included in stadiums?

Do you think these changes will improve the experience for spectators?

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Natasha, I am so sorry that I asked a stupid question. I was too serious. I was thinking it might be a kind of architectural term and didn't expect that would be a sexual harassment.:(
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
    @Shiny03 There are no stupid questions! No reason to apologise. I hadn´t noticed that term when I read through the article earlier, which I should have, and I must admit, I wondered if it had another meaning in this context too. It was quite a strange phrase to include in an article like this, so I wonder if it was actually a typing or editing error and they meant something else? The idea of the sessions is to learn new vocabulary, so it´s good to ask about words you aren´t sure about. Relax :)
    Thank you so much @NatashaT :). It's nice of you to say that. It always takes me courage to ask questions, not because of shyness. Sometimes it means being aggressive to ask questions in my weird culture.:(
    This is New National Stadium in Japan for the 2020 Olympics. Despite disapproving of wasting money on such things and should spend it on our children and national healthcare, I believe that technology is for the better future. Maybe it does help fans enjoy watching live soccer games or concerts more. @Rema I am keen to hear your opinions. :)

• RemaRema Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Shiny03 for mentioning me and sorry for my late response.
    At first , after reading the article I thought the same as the architect(forget the name but is written in the article) of the few stadiums in Europe and that is that those new stadiums look very artificial and that they don't belong there, like that they are not fit to their enviroment.
    On the other hand it won't be fair if I say something negativly about new designs of stadiums because I haven't had the opportunity to be on the stands of one of them.
    I must admit that they look very attractive(got this impression while looking at some pictures and watching videos), colorful, lovely, acoustic and cozy as well.
    But what I can say and what I think that here is obvious is the thing of targeting people who are going to be attracted by this service.
    No need to guess twice, they want to attract deep-pocket holders(if such a word exists in English) or rich people(to translate my phrase and avoid confusion) :D
    Just to add something to the end , my conclusion of this is that that fans who went and are going to football stadiums will be just replaced by those whom I talked about in the previous sentence.
    So, now current fans will stay at their homes and support their teams in front of their TV's as the new ones used to do before.

Marko
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never been to a stadium, so I like to try the normal ones before the new changes at least to see the difference !