Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 23 October 2017 - Making dancing fun for everyone

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
We read an article which talked about many new dance classes that emphasise fun instead of technique:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40043153

Vocabulary Top 10:

let loose - to allow someone or something to move or go freely; to relax and do what you want

lycra - a type of cloth that stretches, used mostly for tight fitting exercise clothes

saying - an old and well-known phrase that expresses an idea that most people believe is true; similar to proverb

regime - a system of management; a system of rules or controls

cater to/for - to provide what is wanted or needed by someone or something

gangbusters - very well or successfully; very quickly

franchise - the right to sell a company's goods or services in a particular area (companies which are owned and operated by different people to the original company, but the company looks exactly the same)

stage - (as a verb) to organize and produce a public event

zeitgeist - the general beliefs, ideas, and spirit of a time and place

upping - increasing; improving; making something higher

Do you like dancing? What is your favourite style of dance?
Would you like to try any of the dance classes they talked about in the article?

Comments

• BellBell Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Hello there. I am happy to join you today. It was easy to read though, except for few words like zeitgeist.

One of the reasons I wanted to join Skype sessions is to upping my vocabulary and reading skills. I think I am avoiding learning vocabulary. Lol.

As for dancing, well, if I have to choose between dancing classes, I'd pick Zomba. From what I understand and watch online about Zomba dancing; it does not require a strict regime as for how to do it. It depends on the music and the coach, I presume. I'd never pick the belly dancing though because those are the two choices available here in Egypt!

P.S. Yes, when I reconnected you was able to hear me guys because I do have headphones but it catches all the background on my neighborhood and make my voice very distance; that's why I am buying now ones. :cold_sweat:
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to find several videos about those dance classes which were mentioned in the article. I thought it was going to be difficult, but actually not or maybe what I found was easy.

vogue arms dance move

Now this is a tough one.

It's getting tougher.... What?! I thought we had a deal, aren't we just shaking our body in the darkness? Unstructured fun? :weary:
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
    @Bell and we were happy to have you with us! I´m glad you enjoyed the session. :) It´s much easier to learn new vocabulary if you learn it in context, instead of trying to just learn individual words.

I think belly dancing seems much more difficult than Zumba... I would pick Zumba too! Although I´m surprised there aren´t any other options there! (Ps. Don´t get the zombie dancing confused with zumba! ;) )

PS. Don´t worry about when you reconnected - hopefully your new headphones will arrive soon so you can talk as well as listen.
    I still think this sentence is weird, 'She event staged a sold-out 21-city tour across the US.' If staged is the verb in this sentence, then, she event should be the subject. 'She event' sounds strange. It might be a proper noun, considering that, hence, I have to find some evidences to prove it. I googled it and found a group named S.H.E. event, an acronym of she has everything. It's kind like a business run by black. They sell foods and clothes something like. Anyway I don't think their activities are related to dance. Next, if even is the verb, then, its past tense should be 'evened' which means to make even. It doesn't even make sense in this sentence. As a result, I think it's just a stupid typo, because I had to think how to express my thoughts in words and it took time. In my opinion, the correct form should be 'she even' which emphasizes her action of making a commercially successful dance tour.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,057 Teacher
    @Shiny03 What is want to know is whether you tried the dances in the videos! :#

I think you are right about that sentence. I think it was a typo too, and should have been ´She even staged...´ because that makes much more sense.

Unfortunately, spell check only catches mistakes if the word doesn´t exist. If you accidentally write a word that does exist instead of the correct word, no one notices until readers are confused!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,868 mod
    @Shiny03 we discussed that sentence last night because it confused me too. Emanuelle was so clever to find out the typo. :)
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,868 mod
    edited October 2017
    I'm shy but not so shy that I would prefer to dance in darkness.
    Lycra? No that's not my clothing preference.
    I think I'll stick to my line dance class, No lycra Well lights though :)
    Post edited by april on
    @NatashaT As an English learner, a typo is like an invisible monster. I don't know when it will attack me, but once I recognize it I feel relieved. Thus, I called it a stupid typo is like to tell myself, take it easy, just a typo. A typo is the last thing I would come up with, because there are so many things I don't know in English. I mean when I read a sentence or a paragraph I don't understand I would consider it is because of my poor English reading ability. I really wish I would have enough confidence to say I know English very well someday.

Thank god I was about to google the dance zomba. I was thinking, wow! another new dancing style, zombie movement + alpha until I read Natasha's comment.

Hi and welcome @Bell :)
    april said:

@Shiny03 we discussed that sentence last night because it confused me too. Emanuelle was so clever to find out the typo. :)

Happy for you that Manu helped you to untangle your confusion. :)
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, of course I like dancing and I'm not a good dancer :) I can't wait when I hear a dancing music it's a complete fun for me to move in dancing way specially in group and when it goes crazy I even jump, I know it's not dancing but I get excited ;)

I like all type of dancing I like to watch the dancing show "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" I love it they are amazing!
  • saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Hi Natasha
    Yes I love it!
    Actually we are playing game called just dance, for fun in playstation, it's realy great game, it's as dance class in your home.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the vogue arms dance moves really make up a kind of dancing; it seems to me it's rather a training class for people employed at an airport.
    This way, you learn how to signal the landed plane which path to follow to pull up to its stall. :D

As regard to dancing in darkness, with full fun and freedom, letting loose and relaxed, I think it's the best way to dance.
    You can avert the stare of onlookers which nothing else do but just lining the hall, wiping the dust off corners with buttocks, and, from time to time, just shifting their body's weight from one leg to the other one.
    You only have to be careful not to bump against your neighbour, or even stamping onto the others' feet.
    Then, when you feel the class' end is imminent, the music still playing, you just have to tiptoeing towards where you can read the sign ' Emergency exit ' atop a door, snap-grappling with its handle, get off and breathe.
    This way, if the inner infra-red cameras haven't detected you so allowing the alarms to set off their reproachful fanfare, you'll have done it to flee such a sweat.
    Don't worry though, don't absolutely feel a bad person because you haven't paid for the lesson.
    The business' owners have made for it in advance by saving the cost of the electricity bill.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • Alisson_BrazilAlisson_Brazil Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I think the teachings of the article do not apply only to women, but also to men. There are many people who feel ashamed of their own bodies or other simple things, such as dancing in public. I think people should be free and do whatever they want, whenever they want.