Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 24 October 2017 - Hiring out houses as film sets

We read an article about people who hire their homes to companies for them to use a film sets for advertisements, photographs, films and TV shows:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40566947

Vocabulary Top 10:

hassle - something that is annoying or that causes trouble

disruption - something that causes something else to be unable to continue in the normal way; a thing that interrupts the normal progress or activity of something

lucrative - producing money or wealth

superficially - concerned only with what is obvious or apparent : not thorough or complete; used to describe a quality, characteristic, etc., that can be seen in the outward appearance or manner of something or someone but that is not deep or genuine

agency - a business that provides a particular service

aptly - appropriately or suitably

revamp - to make (something) better or like new again

outlandish - very strange or unusual : extremely different from what is normal or expected

fainthearted - feeling or showing a lack of courage (usually used in the phrase not for the fainthearted)

reputable - respected and trusted by most people : having a good reputation

Would you hire out your house or apartment for someone to use like this?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of doing this?

Comments

• Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on my financial situation! If I see a necessity doing this why not!

The upsides could be that you'll have your own business at home besides having fun and some free photo sessions :). On the other hand, you'll loose home privacy, some frequent damages require more maintenance and you'll need to follow the vogue day to day to have attracting locations
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I would give it a try in order to make it a lucrative business.

I mean I'm not sure I would be going to hire out my home if I had such a facility as an indoor swimming-pool.
    I suppose I would rather spend my fantasy-swarmed moments in enjoyable and relaxing bathes and swims.

Not to say to what lower level my self-esteem would suddenly drop, should my home be unexpectedly chosen as the prime location for dog's food adverts.
    Especially if it happened in the aftermath of a TV show episode dealing with refined cookery being held and featuring my home's kitchen as the shooting set.

I could be led to think that no excellent food might ever be cooked here but just stuff to make dogs' mouth water.

I fear what the next step would be should even dog's food adverts' shooting fail... perhaps a canine bathing attendants course's advert featuring my swimming-pool.

Although purely in my nightmares, I've already given up the idea, while still splashing in the pool.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !