Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What would you do if you won the lottery?

wail2007wail2007 Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 2018 in Conditionals
I would like to know your opinions about it. But I want you to take into account some points.
1. How long is this money is going to last ? Think about future generations.
2. Would you invest in something?
3. Would you give away some of the money?

Thank you in advance.

----------------

I want you to take some points into account.
1. How long is this money going to last? Think about future generations.
2. Would you invest it?
3. Would you give some of it away?

Thank you in advance.
Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• jessy50jessy50 Posts: 5
    edited March 2018
    If i win a lottery i would donate half portion for charity.And remaining i would invest

---------------

If I won the lottery, I would donate half of it to charity, and I would invest the rest.
    Post edited by Teach on
  • almog123xalmog123x Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    if i'd win the lottery i'd spend it all on chicken nuggets and weed

------------------

If I won the lottery, I'd spend it all on chicken nuggets and weed.
    Post edited by Teach on
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,780 mod
    Unfortunately, I won nothing again, last night. :/
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,025 mod
    I haven't checked my numbers, yet. So ... well you never know, right?

If I won the jackpot, the Network would be a beneficiary. I would definitely hire enough teachers to have someone online 24/7. Until then, you will have to make do with the teachers we have. :smile:
  • ArifaArifa Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If I won a lottery and got a huge amount of money, I would spend a big propotion to start a residencial school for orphan kids, an old home and build a farm house. Rest of the money would be spent on traveling all over the world.

-------------------

If I won the jackpot, I would spend a big proportion of it to start a residential school for orphans, in an old building, and build a farm house. The rest of the money would be spent on travelling all over the world.
    Post edited by Teach on
  • wail2007wail2007 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    good heart @jessy50 .
    @april keep trying maybe next time you will be lucky
    @Lynne we all need you to win the lottery....:) just to have 24/7 teachers :)
  • BerryBerry Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If I win a lottery I would give 25% for my parents, 25% for charity, 10% to save, 15% to invest and the rest for travelling.

----------------

If I won the lottery I would give 25% to my parents, 25% to charity, 10% on savings, 15% on investments, the rest I would use for travelling.
    Post edited by Teach on
    @Berry maybe 25% is not enough to travel all around the world!!!! :)
  • houselighthouselight Posts: 3
    @ berry i don't 25% is enough to travel all around the world..
  • megnamegna Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    If I won a lottery, I would spent a little portion for charity. I love travelling. So i would spent a little for that. And the remaining portion i would invest.

--------------------

If I won the lottery, I would spend a small portion of it on charity, and I love travelling, so I would spend a little on that. I would invest the rest.
    Post edited by Teach on
  • Rafael_LORafael_LO Posts: 6
    First, I'd would sit and think a lot about what to do. But, probably I would invest, start a company, I don't know hahaha.
  • inaamzinaamz Posts: 8 Inactive
    To me, it depends on the amount of lottery money ;)
  • phanthangphanthang Posts: 5
    edited March 2018
    Recently I bought many lotteries, the prize of the lottery I bought now is up to $15 mil.
    Everytime, I bought a tiket, I always thought about the future. Unfortunatetly, It will never happen to me, it just like you buy something that cheer you up in a moment :'(

----------------------

Recently I bought a lot of lottery tickets, the prize money is now up to $15 mil. Every time, I bought a ticket, I thought about the future. Unfortunately, it will never happen to me, it's just that you buy something that will cheer you up at that moment.
    Post edited by Teach on
  • walterwalter Posts: 677 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I don`t play a lotteries. But if i were some miracle won lotteries i would give half of the money for chairty, and rest of money i probably invest in some busines and in self.

----------------------

I don`t play any lotteries, but if by some miracle I were to win, I would give half of the money to charity, and I would probably invest the rest in some business and in my own development.
    Post edited by Teach on
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Here everyone is saying that they would spend some portion of money in orphan, starting school or in social work
    I feel everyone has a beautiful heart but If I won lottery I don't Know what would I do??
    I might invest that money in business,but not sure whether I would be able to spend that money in social work or not

----------------------

Here everyone is saying that they would spend some portion of the money on orphans, starting a school or for social good. I feel everyone has a beautiful heart but If I won the lottery I don't know what I would do. I might invest that money in a business, but I am not sure whether I would be able to spend any of it on social projects or not.
    Post edited by Teach on
    I appreciate your honesty @mdshamsad. I don't think anyone really knows what they would do, until it happens. Let's hope some of us get to find out. ;)
  • oluwawaoluwawa Posts: 2
    I will donate 10% of the money to any non-profit organization and I will go for 2week vacation, while i'm on vacation I will analyze all the expenses I need for my career project and invest everything on my project.
  • MustafaMustafa Posts: 154 ✭✭
    If I win a lottery with a considerable amount then I will invest 50% of it in share market , property ,etc. and 20% use it for myself for better living rest 30% will give it in a charity . By doing this it will last longer
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 38,238 ✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting article, though I think it wouldn't necessarily apply to everyone. But the suggestion is that if you won the lottery, your politics would probably change.

The article says that the greater the lottery win, the greater the shift to the right. Though there’s a well-established link between having more money and being more right wing, it is tricky to disentangle from the values people grow up with and the social circles they move in. However the data on lottery winners suggests that having a lump sum of cash land in their bank account – whatever their background and prior beliefs – really does cause a significant shift in views.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181025-winning-money-changes-peoples-politics

• MaxeagleMaxeagle Posts: 30 ✭✭
    hummm, this is a pretty good question.

I think I'll probably spend some of it in things I don't really need. For sure I would give part of it to close family members. Is it because I'm altruistic though? or is it because it would ease MY mind to know that my family isn't in need anymore and that they could provide to their basic needs and get as much healthcare as they need ? Maybe it's a subtle mix of the two ? Philosophical question here ! ;)

Maybe I would give some to charity ... I think I would prefer to build something useful of my own though, so I would know how the money is spent. And it would be spent in things I believe it has to be spent in. Once again ... is it because I'm such a good person ? Or is it because I want to improve my self esteem ? Which is not a bad thing per se. Ok Ok I'm beginning to digress again here ...

The real value of winning a lot of money though, is that I could spend my time in whatever I want. To have a lot of money is to have a lot of TIME. You're not forced to work to earn money, so you don't have to give your precious time.
    "Time is money", but you know, I'd rather say that "money is time". With money, you buy time. So yeah ... I would spend money to buy me some time ! this is the best investment you can do ! Time is the most precious thing you have. It's the most precious thing you can buy.
    Let me give you an example : I would pay someone to clean my house. I would buy his/her time to keep mine and spend it with my family or learning something. I'll pay this person as well as I can so that I wouldn't feel bad about it though haha :)

I would want to learn how to invest the money so that the it keeps coming back to me. Not to have more and more money... I don't care about it. Just to have free time until my death. I don't want to have free time to party all day long or this kind of things. I want to have free time to learn and create, more time to spend with family. I'll invest in my self developpement. I'll invest in ideas I believe in.

Yep ... I hope I would spend it smartly.
  • jackraojackrao Posts: 6
    Oh,I want to say I never think about it.But if I really won the lottery,maybe I would travel around the world use it.I want to know the world.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    I'll make a big city for all species of animals, and live with them
  • hamoudi27hamoudi27 Posts: 9
    if i win lottery i would like to invest money in a social project that's benefits returen to society
    edited March 16
    @oluwawa
    I will donate 10% of the money to any non-profit organization and I will go for 2week vacation, while i'm on vacation I will analyze all the expenses I need for my career project and invest everything on my project.

I would donate 10% of the money to any non-profit organization and then go on a 2 week vacation. While I was on vacation I would analyze all the expenses I need for my career and invest everything else in that.

@Mustafa
    If I win a lottery with a considerable amount then I will invest 50% of it in share market , property ,etc. and 20% use it for myself for better living rest 30% will give it in a charity . By doing this it will last longer

If I won a considerable amount on the lottery, then I would invest 50% of it in the stock market, property, etc. I would spend 20% of it on myself, for a better lifestyle, and I would give the rest, 30% , to charity. By doing this it would last longer.

@taghried
    I'll make a big city for all species of animals, and live with them

I would build a big city for all species of animals and live with them.

@hamoudi27
    if i win lottery i would like to invest money in a social project that's benefits returen to society

If I won the lottery, I would like to invest the money in a social project that would benefit society.
    @Maxeagle

Hmm, this is a pretty good question.

I think I would probably spend some of it on things I don't really need. For sure I would give part of it to close family members. Is it because I'm altruistic though? Or, is it because it would ease MY mind to know that my family wasn't in need anymore and that they could provide for their basic needs and get as much healthcare as they required? Maybe it's a subtle mix of the two ? Philosophical question here!

Maybe I would give some to charity. I think I would prefer to build something useful of my own though, so I would know how the money is spent. And it would be spent on things I believe it has to be spent on. Once again ... is it because I'm such a good person? Or is it because I want to improve my self-esteem? Which is not a bad thing per se. Ok Ok I'm beginning to digress again here ...

The real value of winning a lot of money though, is that I could spend my time on whatever I want. To have a lot of money is to have a lot of TIME. You're not forced to work to earn money, so you don't have to give your precious time away. "Time is money", but you know, I'd rather say that "money is time". With money, you buy time. So yeah ... I would spend money to buy myself some time. ! this is the best investment you can make! Time is the most precious thing you have. It's the most precious thing you can buy.

Let me give you an example : I would pay someone to clean my house. I would buy his/her time to spare mine, which I would then spend with my family or learning something. I'd pay this person as well as I could so that I wouldn't feel bad about it though. Haha. :smile:

I would want to learn how to invest the money too, so that it would keep coming back to me. Not to have more and more money... I don't care about that. Just to have free time until my the day I died. I don't want to have free time to party all day long or this kind of thing. I want to have free time to learn and create, and more time to spend with my family. I'd invest in my self development. I'd invest in ideas I believe in.

Yep ... I hope I would spend it smartly.
    edited March 16
    I would spend it on paying someone to make corrections here. That way it wouldn't take so long. :smile:

Remember to take notice of the question, it is a hypothetical question. A hypothetical question is not based on reality or facts. It is based on conjecture, supposition, personal opinion or belief.

Q. What would you do if ...
    A. I would ...
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,844 mod
    0 - If it's hot, I don't need a woolly hat.
    1- If I dance in the rain, they would look at me in surprise.

2 - If I made more money, I would buy me a new computer.
    3 - If I had bought a lottery ticket, I would have been rich by now.