Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 6 November 2017 - Useless design features

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,000 Teacher
We read an article about some useless design features in modern products - things which once were there for a reason, but the reason no longer exists:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171023-the-useless-design-features-in-modern-products

Vocabulary Top 10:

rivet - a special kind of metal bolt or pin that is used to hold pieces of metal together

whim - a sudden wish, desire, decision, etc.

adorn - to make (someone or something) more attractive by adding something beautiful; decorate

traces - something (such as a mark or an object) which shows that someone or something was in a particular place; a very small amount of something

futuristic - very modern

on the cusp - at the point when something is about to change to something else

mimesis - imitation; mimicry

versatile - able to do many different things; having many different uses

painstakingly - showing or done with great care and effort

copycat - something that is very similar to another thing; a person who does the same thing as someone else e.g. a person who adopts the behavior, style, etc., of someone else

Were you surprised by any of the design features they mentioned? Which one, and why?
Can you think of any other items that also have useless design features because of the past?

Comments

• saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Hi Natasha

Yes I was surprised from that small pocket on pants, finally we know for what we can use :D
    I actually use it for hair clips, but a boys for what they use?
    Now I know for what they use.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,000 Teacher
    @saraal hair clips are a good idea! They are easy to lose...

I always thought those pockets were for small coins!
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    Same thinking @saraal , for first time I know the use of this small pocket and the reason of having these copper rivets! the non fasten jacket buttons too ! we have a proverb saying when you know the reason of something you stop wondering about :)

I see some houses that have a closed balcony you can't get inside and now this article makes me wonder is it just for decoration or it has a story!
  • lisalisa Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭
    @Natasha I do not think I can get the function of the watch pocket if I do not take part in this session :p . Before, I really can not understand why there is such kind of small pocket on the jean clothes.
    And now I'm thinking of the reason of having too many pockets in one jeans! I see now why , they needed them to put their work stuff I mean the miners, cowboys, woodcutters etc...
  • saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    I was drinking a juice during session, after we finished I saw the plastic cover of the cup it has a special design on the top side like a smaller mountains, why they put it? and what the benefit from these objects on the cover
  • bitar_90bitar_90 Posts: 2
    thank you all
    saraal said:

I was drinking a juice during session, after we finished I saw the plastic cover of the cup it has a special design on the top side like a smaller mountains, why they put it? and what the benefit from these objects on the cover

Dear Sara! we will be obsessed with the history of these designs :)
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nowadays, I suppose, the greatest concern when you're going to buy a new pair of trouser, should be: ' where am I going to put my phone ? '.

My most genuine, painstakingly offered advice, given out of personal experience, should be: ' Avoid buying jeans '.

In fact, since woodcutters, miners, cowboys were used to checking nothing else but just their chained watch now and then, I'm afraid your searching for a phone fitting pocket would be in vain.

I often wear jeans because they are practical in most situations; the strong fabric and dark dye hid the stains too. Nevertheless they often result a bit too tight-fitting and stiff, especially when just bought.

I'm wondering therefore how you could manage to mount on horseback, given the rigidity of the trousers'fork; I often feel like my brand-new jeans' legs were plastered.

Then, when I try to put my hands into the two front pockets, just my furthest phalanxes can make it; the rest of the hand invariably keeps waving helplessly outside, like a shaking snake.

I remember having crammed once my handkerchief deeply down one front pocket; unfortunately, after pulling back my hand, the pocket's slot closing behind, I couldn't recover it anymore. I declared the handkerchief definetly missing.

To say nothing of the rear pockets. Sometimes you just need a jack to keep them open. Their lenght, besides, often can't even catch up with your wallet's: it stops half-way through.

I think the only way to carry about your phone is to wear a belt, with holsters fastened to it, just Western movies' cow-boys' style.
    This way, you could also engage in a smartphone's duel.

You stand on the threshold of the saloon, cast a look around and suddenly spot your rival drinking a glass of whisky a the counter.
    You frown while staring at him, drops of sweats slipping down the back your neck; slowly your right arm climbs up to your nose, you wipe it with the back of your hand.

Legs a bit pulled apart, the two men stand in front of each other; the silence surrounding them only broken by the howling of the desert wind which creates dusty puffs.
    Nothing move, except for the men's thumbs firmly embedded into the jeans' front pockets.

That's not a threatening attitude of theirs; no, they are just struggling to get their handkerchiefs out. That's where the sweat's drops came from.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !