Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 13 November 2017 - How flying messes with your mind

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,094 Teacher
We read an article which described how flying affects your brain:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170919-how-flying-seriously-messes-with-your-mind

well up - to rise to a surface and flow out; usually talks about crying

water works - crying, shedding tears

soaring - flying or sailing often at a great height by floating on air currents

itch - to have or produce an unpleasant feeling on your skin or inside your mouth, nose, etc. that makes you want to scratch

peculiar - not usual or normal; peculiar to = of, relating to, or found in only one person, thing, or place

deficit - an amount (such as an amount of money) that is less than the amount that is needed

acclimatised - adjusted or adapted to a new climate, place, or situation

dim - (verb) to make a light less bright or to become less bright

taste buds - the many small spots on your tongue that give you the ability to taste things

palatable - having a pleasant or agreeable taste

Have you noticed any of these changes when you are flying?
What can we do to reduce these effects?

Comments

• saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Hi Natasha
    It’s interesting article I will back to read it again in weekend.
    I am surprised by the temperature of air pumped in cabin! In my last flight was horrible, very hot inside the airplane.
    Teasing food, now I know why I don’t like that food and I can’t eat it! :D
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh the problem that I was crying without a need for a movie! It was my first travel, far away from my family and home so I was looking through the window in the plane to all those clouds there, I made my own emotional scene and kept thinking of my mother, tears never stopped, how I won't be able to see here for long time " in fact just 3 months :smile: but for me it was like a year" .

So from my experience, I think it's the mood of travelling makes you think deeply and sensitively in everything no matter what is the means of transportation, a plane, ship or train!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,025 mod
    Whether I fly a long distance or a short distance when I go on holiday, I always feel tired.
    However, I won't especially blame that flying for some reasons.
    First of all, how couldn't you be tired if you need to make your holiday preparation days before!
    Pack in, pack out, pack in and pack out again, until you are sure that you have everything you need in your destination and your luggage doesn't exceed the maximum weight you are permitted to carry with with your economy class ticket.
    Then, that sleepless night before your depart because you are quite excited about your journey and don't want to oversleep.
    Then, that long time waiting time in the airport, check in, passing the border control and the security control and then waiting for boarding!
    What a waste of time!
    And the whole time you need to drag your 10kg cabin baggage. :/
    Then, once you are in the plane, you need your remaining power to put that luggage in the half full compartiment above your seat.

Phew, it's done, finally and I can sit now, but another uneasiness comes up.
    How would be the flight? Shall I safely arrive where I have to?

Well, one will be exhausted for less. :/ :/

Maybe it's a different experience for a VIP?
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Just-Learn:

' ... I made my own emotional scene ... I think it's the mood of travelling makes you think deeply and sensitively in everything ... '

Depending on to what high degree you are a sensitive person, you can experience water works during such a trying adventure as a journey by plane. I agree that you make your own emotional scene that might well be triggered by any innocuous and even funny movie's scene.

You're perhaps moving away from your beloved, family, parents; you're going to settle in a new country for work, maybe you're just going to enjoy a short holiday: it doesn't matter.

When you look out of the window, you see you're soaring up in the sky, higher than the roof of the clouds which keep slipping behind.

When your eyes no longer can see, they are promptly replaced by your mind's ones, and your memories of the latest happy moments spring up the most vividly, like sparkling wine's bubbles which the cabin's lower air pressure has freed.

You feel inebriated, you cry with joy, you feel emotional and excited, happy and sad at one time.

Meanwhile your emotions cram your mind; they run to and fro through your brain as through a spinning revolving-door.

Finally you collapse exhausted onto the seat, due to lowered level of oxygen in your blood.

I also agree with @april: most of our tiredness isn't to blame on the side effects of cabin's environment: rather on the burden of stressful stages to undergo before getting onboard.

' ... Phew, it's done, finally and I can sit now, but another uneasiness comes up.
    How would be the flight? Shall I safely arrive where I have to?

Well, one will be exhausted for less. '

That's the reason why you often itch, I suppose; the atavic, subliminal, inexorable question everyone, from the businessman/woman to the tiger-tamer ask themselves: why should a metal tube keep flying ? Will have the pilot pulled up to the service station before take off ?
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's a good cartoon from the Far Side:

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,094 Teacher
    @april who was flying that plane before it crashed? I want to make sure I never fly with them :D
  • almog250almog250 Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Hi teacher, I'm new her and I want to join to the skype conversion how can I do that I want to improve my speak skills thank you.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,094 Teacher
    Hi @almog250 , have you already sent your skype ID to Lynne? If so, you just need to send her a message on skype asking to join the skype session you are interested in.
    @NatashaT , I was the one to blame, but I was able to survive the crash. :)
    So, just follow me. :D
    @NatashaT that all ? I have Lynne Skype Id and I didn't know that I was all the time searched in forum link you some like that and now you tell me that is easy solution, I tried to ask in the forum a few times and no one answer me thank finely after a month that I can join to the Skype session :dizzy: now I just nee to plain my dairy and join, thank and have a wonderful day.
    > @NatashaT said:
    > Hi @almog250 , have you already sent your skype ID to Lynne? If so, you just need to send her a message on skype asking to join the skype session you are interested in.

that all ? I have Lynne Skype Id and I didn't know that I was all the time searched in forum link you some like that and now you tell me that is easy solution, I tried to ask in the forum a few times and no one answer me thank finely after a month that I can join to the Skype session :dizzy: now I just nee to plain my dairy and join, thank and have a wonderful day.
    @almog250 , did you post your question in the section Ask the question?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should make some interesting airline safety videos to get our attention. I mean it's about life and death when imagined as happening in an aircraft accident, but we seldom watch that video because flying messes with our mind! :mrgreen:
    Have a look! You're going to love these infight safety videos.

Bare essentials of safety from Air New Zealand

Virgin America Safety Video

Betty White -- Safety Old School Style

Air New Zealand safety video #1

safety video # 2

Trip: The Virgin Atlantic Safety Film

Delta's 80's In Flight Safety Video