Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 14 November 2017 - Psychoanalysis and job hiring

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 963 Teacher
We read an article about how psychoanalysis is used in the hiring process in some countries:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20171025-the-peculiar-psychoanalysis-of-job-hiring

Vocabulary Top 10:

copywriter - someone whose job is to write the words for advertisements

inkblot - a stain on paper, made of ink; an abstract patch of ink

Rorschach test - a personality and intelligence test in which someone looks at ink blots of different shapes and then describes what the shapes look like

delusions of grandeur - you believe that you are much more important than you really are

megalomania - a condition or mental illness that causes people to think that they have great or unlimited power or importance

teardrop - something that is pointed at the top and round at the bottom; something that is shaped like a falling tear

doodle - to draw something without thinking about what you are doing

neurosis - (plural - neuroses) an emotional illness in which a person experiences strong feelings of fear or worry

grounded - used to describe a person who is sensible and has a good understanding of what is really important in life

stem from - to be caused by (something or someone); to come from (something or someone)

Have you ever had to see a psychologist as part of the job interview process?
What kinds of tests have you had to do when applying for a new job?

For the people in the session - what did you think of Discord?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,549 mod
    edited November 2017
    We are reading The Little Prince with @Lynne.
    This is a piece from the book:

Hat, snail or boa constrictor swallowing an elephant?

This is not a Rorschach test or an inktblot, but what do you see in the picture?
    A lot of people see it as a hat, but I see it as a snail. :) What does it tell about my character if it is a test?
    What kind of job will fit me? :)
    Post edited by april on
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe it. I just said it. Okay, honestly, it's stupid to examine a person by a psychological test, especially using it for hiring or promotions. Like it said in the article, Rorschach inkblot test has not been proven effective for hiring. It's designed to investigate your psychological personality. It's kind like a reference. Human beings are so complicated that they created many psychological tests for trying to know them more. However, if it really that worked, then, this world would have become easier to live. (Well, next time before we vote for a candidate in an election, we let them do a psychological test first.)

Besides, it's very frustrating to think that I have to take those psychological test for a job interview. It seems that they take it seriously which means that I have to spend time to prepare those examination, don't I? I mean can't I just focus on improving my skills on work? Additionally, even if those psychological tests are correct, how many psychologists are there well-trained to interpret them precisely? (The writer's friends advised him to draw an umbrella or a ground meaning that we can manipulate the test, right?)

Speaking of my experience, I attended a seminar about 3 years ago. It was part of my work, but I didn't have the right to decide whom to invite to hold a seminar. It's for free. The title was like how to manage the relationship with children, husband, friends or how to get through the difficulties. I think many people were deceived by this topic. Because when you stepped into it, you found that they were talking about zoological fortune-telling which was very popular at that time (I don't know if it is still popular now). It sounds ridiculous that people are categorized into some animal-types based on their birthdate and they can tell your personality by your animal-type. Did you notice that they said some animal-types? It means that you could have a lion heart, but act like a sheep. They taught you how to deal with a husband who had a wolf heart acting like a panther from your animal-types. OMG, my head is spinning. Anyway, I read all the personality traits of every animal-type and I found that I could fit every animal-type. :fearful: I'm not going to manage a marriage by this. I trust my sense and sensibility more. They said if you wanted to learn more, they provided personal lessons which took bucks. Do you smell a rat?

I believe that psychological test involves statistics. It makes sense in it, but I don't think we should trust it at all. Maybe I am the one who is stupid, but it sounds terrifying to me to build a profile by a psychological test in an interview in our normal life. I mean it makes me feel like a criminal. I start talking nonsense right now...just stop here.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,549 mod
    Not easy to be a psychologist or a psychiatrist.
    You have to decide what kind of person somebody is, with the science that you have learnt at school.
    Your judgement could be correct or incorrect, though.
    Because everybody is unique and people can also fake their personality, like Jekyll and Hyde.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I agree @april:

' Not easy to be a psychologist or a psychiatrist. '

Then, please, don't interfere with the future of youth; stay away from the work places and let alone the applicants, who all need but drawing ' men under the rain ' , with umbrellas, rain drops, ground and all that stuff.

In the article they cited the statement of a Labour Minister from some country who likened psychological testing to astrology. I agree, it's just something you pretend to be able to predict from some mysterious signs, patterns, shape, movements.

Kind of a misterious esoteric practice, limited to a special sacerdotal élite of initiates.

Nonetheless, I suppose it more simpler to figure out the influence of stars and planets on people, than to go deeper into people minds and personalities by examining how they interpret inkblots. Better and easier examining CVs than horoscope predictions-based scouring brains and minds.

Then I think that by subjecting abstract shapes to applicants, the latter will never know how their test scored; I think, in fact, that, unlike tests with questions, there aren't just a few, say three or four, more or less right answers.

You can never score good or bad.

You also have no way to show your skills, talents, motivation, as well as seriousness, loyalty, education, commitment to devote and put yourself at full disposal of your employer, as permitted if you were given a practical temporary working chance.

Not at all, it seems they give that all for granted, in advance.

They just want to have a profile of you.

As @Shiny03 wrote:

' ... but it sounds terrifying to me to build a profile by a psychological test in an interview in our normal life. I mean it makes me feel like a criminal.... '

Agree; they are treating you as a potential criminal or crazy person.

I experienced once a kind of final psychological testing, when trying to progress in my career from the lowest job to an higher position: just one step forward.

After passing the writing and oral stages of the internal selection, the remaining thirty of us, who finished level, were expected to undergo a team problem solving work, under the guarded supervision of the psychologist.

As an Italian saying goes: an evil tongue does sin, hower it often guesses right.

In fact the one person who passed, was the one recommended for the position; I mean the one with links to influencing political people. That's usually the norm of selection in Italy.

That's why whenever I hear of psychological test to recruit or select personnel, I smell a rat.
    I think it's the easiest way to cover hiring recommended people rather than genuinely competing more or less talented ones.

I don't trust this soft science of deceiving doodles.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, the picture @april shared depict, evidently, a boa constrictor digesting an elephant.... an hat shaped kind of though.

Have I got the position ?
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never been in a psychological test, all the tests that I passed through were very ordinary ones, except that question of the animals and it was during a training course not for hiring.

Actually, these got me thinking what if I were in such situation interpreting some freak drawings in a hiring test, I like to try it but then they won't give me my results, so it's useless.

I wonder whether the psychologists can really analysis our personalities accurately! I put some conclusions about people based on their behavior without reading psychology materials , I have to stop doing that, I should better consolidate my skills.