Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 27 November 2017 - Compromising when buying a house

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 963 Teacher
We read an article about what people will and won´t compromise on when they are buying a new house:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/02/location-vs-size-which-compromise-would-you-make

compromises infographic

Vocabulary Top 10:

commute - to travel regularly to and from a place and especially between where you live and where you work

take its toll - (also ´take a toll´) to have a serious, bad effect on someone or something : to cause harm or damage

cash strapped - not having enough money to buy or pay for the things you want or need

stand your ground - to not change your position when you are being attacked : to not retreat (used figuratively too)

adamant - not willing to change an opinion or decision : very determined

TLC - abbreviation of ´tender loving care´; care and attention that is given to make someone feel better, to improve the bad condition of something, etc.

knackered - very tired or exhausted

renovation - to make changes and repairs to (an old house, building, room, etc.) so that it is back in good condition

have a go at (someone) - attack or criticize (someone)

house hunter - a person who is looking for a house to buy or rent

What wouldn´t you compromise on if you were buying a house?
What would you be happy to take as a trade off?

Comments

• BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer a gift :). However, if I were to buy a house, I'd like to have some land around to plant some trees.
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    I have always loved to live in a farm!, and very simple house, it can be big but not too much stuff! so If I would compromise on something it could be the commute.

No, let me go back to reality because I like the short commute I can think of walking to work instead of using the car,I like walking in the morning.

I see now how much confusing it is to buy a house, I just have to answer the questions here and I don't know really what I want!
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 407 ✭✭✭✭
    I like walking. So commute is not the priority to some extend, nevertheless I wouldn't live in the middle of nowhere. 5 km no more :)
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't compromise on time and length of commute. I know travelling to and from work can be a daily adventure; to some people, maybe, can also be an exciting, though hard, experience.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid in the long term it might turn out really boring, other than an expensive habit.

Then, commuting is a time wasting activity. I see that many people try to take advantage of such idle time, either by reading on their smartphone, tablet, ebook-readers, or even paper books in case of not digital native ones, who hold on to paper stuff, just to while away the time.

But I think it's not the same as reading in a protected intimate environment, such as your home; there your attention can focus entirely on what you're doing or reading, so enhancing mind's production, satisfaction, fulfilment and mindfulness.

In order to get such achievements, you need to focus just on one task at a time.

I think commute, on the contrary, even if unperceivably, is a multi-tasking activity: it draws on your mental power, letting you in a deficit of mental resources.

I suppose that distraction sources, such as a busy means of transport and technology devices, together with the push to frequently check the hour, all plot to definitely waste your highly valuable, when used otherwise, priceless time.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
This discussion has been closed.