Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 11 December 2017 - The US wakes up to walking

We read an article describing how Americans are starting to walk around more than they did in the past:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/jun/22/america-wakes-up-to-walking-us-pedestrianisation

Vocabulary Top 10:

precis - a brief summary of the main points and ideas of a piece of writing or speech

cranked - increased (something) especially by a large amount

smitten - in love with someone or something

jaywalking - to cross a street carelessly or at an illegal or dangerous place

prodigious - very big; very impressive

dalliance - an action that is not serious

rite of passage - an act that is a symbol of an important change in someone's life

gridlock - a situation in which streets are so full that vehicles cannot move

actuary - a person whose job is to collect and analyse statistics and then tell insurance companies how much they should charge people for insurance based on risks

out on a limb - in or into a risky or dangerous position or situation

Do you prefer walking or driving around a city?

Do you think it is safe for people to walk around everywhere?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose cars are useful to drive in within a town's limits in just two cases:
    either you are a long trip commuter.
    or you have to carry a heavy box or cumbersome appliance or machine.
    My list of upsides, however, in my experience at least, ends at this point.
    In the majority of other occasions while you're driving along the city's streets, especially in the traffic-clogged centre, you're just being invariably outrun by every pedestrians walking on the sidewalks.
    You're supposed to be faster, though, since you're on four wheels: besides petrol-fuelled !
    On the contrary, you end up proceeding at man's pace, idling along, your car's exhaust-pipe fuming along to the pleasure of all the passers-by lungs.
    That's why I despise the municipal's policies which do nothing to curb the spread of these extremely polluting chimney-provided obstructive metal boxes.

Then, I think that driving a car on daily basis is the most effective way to undo our ability to walk.
    Our mollified lower limbs' muscles, together with a more fragile framework of bones, both plot to make us more vulnerable to get fractures and dislocations.
    What's worse, after spending a long time driving, you often feel the urge and come up with the idea of doing some exercise or outdoor activity.
    I think that's often fatal, because you pretend to achieve some results without a gradual, step by step stretching, let alone a more systematic training.
    Here comes the miracle of a daily walking activity: you get trained while pursueing your daily activities: you don't need to halve your day to devote each part either to business or to exercising: both come at the same time.
    I'm aware that walking do apparently nothing to strengthen the upper part of your body, but then you can opt for a kind of faster walk where you also use long sticks; if I'm not wrong they call it the Nordic Walk.
    Then, quite surprisingly, I found that the best way to explain the benefits of walking is just to refer to the English dictionary.
    I looked up this phrasal verb ' walk off '.
    You can walk off a heavy meal or maybe a headache or stress. That's so true: whenever I feel a slight indisposition or perhaps I am a bit upset, nothing works best as a prompt relief than going outdoor for a stroll.
    No one can rob us of our freedom to walk, I believe, unless we do it ourselves.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • BassaBassa Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , I speak about what is my personal experience,
    Since tre years, I'm doing a work where I have a lot of time in my car, the time really spent at clients sometimes can be also less than the half of a normal daily work time,
    Let me say that, seated when you are at clients... seated when you are in your car, the result is the entire day seated..and often you also take body position that are not natural, not relaxed...
    Ok, you have to believe me that alerady after six months of this lyfestyle I had...how i can say...few bowel problems :)....
    I started to have for me during lunch time ten minuts for a walk,
    If I find something to eat in a mal, for instance, I try to have for me five/ten minutes after lunch walking and looking the shops...
    Could be look nothing ten minuts but can already make the difference....
    Definitively Natasha I think that humans born on this earth and one of the things they've always done is to walk...
    So in a world where our jobs sometimes need to cover big distances at least work around, when you, can be very healthy...
    Ah, I've forgotten, If you work in a big city and you can avoid the car...absolutely yes for me...
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I hear the word walking I feel positive I just imagine walking in the morning, nice weather, green trees or on a beach, breathing deeply, I adore it.

I prefer walking to work but go back driving, driving has its charm too through long empty streets with no disturbing, a quite high speed and a nice song.

It is always about balance, we need to walk and we need to drive sometimes.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,703 mod
    @NatashaT you can see they are not even walk on the sidewalk
    :smile:

Whenever I hear the word walking I feel positive I just imagine walking in the morning, nice weather, green trees or on a beach, breathing deeply, I adore it.

I prefer walking to work but go back driving, driving has its charm too through long empty streets with no disturbing, a quite high speed and a nice song.

It is always about balance, we need to walk and we need to drive sometimes.

@Just-Learn let me say I adored the poetry of your comment. :)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 931 Teacher
    @aladdin wow!! Thank you for sharing the video here, it´s great! You´re right - the pedestrians and cars are using the same space.

I still think it looks pretty dangerous though... I want to see the statistics of how many people are hit by cars every week! :D
    Not only seems it impossible for pedestrians to cross the roads in Egypt, but car drivers seem to face some problems getting along due to pedestrians' clog too @aladdin.
    I'm wondering whether they don't have any zebra-crossing or traffic lights.
    I suppose Egyptian drivers have great reaction's promptitude at pushing either the gas or the brake pedals, not to run down pedestrians.
    I'm afraid a busy soccer-mom/dad, who are usually forced to cut so many things fine, on driving along Egyptian's cars, would have to continuously check left and right, not to end up crippling a few slow-wading people.
    Thanks a lot for these nice words @filauzio !
    You're welcome @Just-Learn, looking forward to other poetry of yours ;)
    Oh that's a big responsibility :) @filauzio
    I think sometimes your poetic skills just need a bit of encouragement, so just coax them into expressing freely; I suppose our intimate poetic push doesn't ask for anything more than just that, @Just-Learn.
    It works sometimes with me: whenever I sense some free room where to express freely, the magic of poetry arises, providing I've got enough English words obviously.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer walking than driving. Actually, I walk to everywhere and even walk for hours a day. I started walking because I thought I should play sports to stay healthy. But I'm not good at any sports or exercises and even I do it, it won't last for long. Everyone walks. I mean, you know, it's the easiest thing to do and inevitable in our life. No one would say I'm not good at walking. Even if you don't like it, you still have to do it every single day. That's why it came to mind, walk to everywhere for everything. People think I am crazy, because they think if you can spend 20 minutes to a place, why let it become hours and wear yourself out so much. They also think it's a waste of time. Maybe I'm wasting my time, but I kind of enjoy it. People don't pay much attention to look in their city. Have you ever had this experience? You are aware of something, such as a closed door restaurant, that you've never noticed it before when you walk in the city. It's quite fun. Sometimes it makes me feel like a treasure hunter to walk in a street, a city or everywhere. Besides, it helps me concentrate. I listen to audiobooks with Walkman while walking. It's very difficult for me just to sit in a chair reading a book. You know, mindfulness in everyday chores thing....

I don't know if walking is good for health, but it's my only option for sports. I mean if people have other options to choose, why insist on this one.

I don't think it's safe for people to walk around everywhere in some countries. I remember I read a book several years ago. The book is called, A Stolen Life. It's a true story about a 11-year-old girl who was abducted on her way to school and held captive for over 18 years. Because her stupid, cruel step-father complained about picking her up to school and her taking school bus and compelled her to walk to school everyday. That's not a road for a kid to walk to school alone. Imagine that, country road full of tall trees, hard to see people around on the road....

Natasha, I remember that you said you didn't like to go running. And if you had to run, it must be because you wanted to catch a bus. I agree with you and I am the same. I don't like running. I even think marathon is so stupid...urr, sorry I take it back. Anyway, I only run when I am going to be late, especially when I am late for the bus. However, bus in Japan won't stop and let you get in when they drive away the bus stop. Additionally, they won't wait for you, even knowing you're just a step away from the bus running behind and trying to catch the bus. What's worse, they will warn you with a speaker, 'Lady, what you are doing is very dangerous! Stop it right now!', so that everyone in the street can hear it. It's very embarrassing. I know and understand it very well, but I still can't help but chase after the bus, you know, animal nature thing, go chasing after what you want...