Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

AM/PM Session - 12 December 2017 - How to be charismatic

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
We read an article about how to be charismatic:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20171027-the-art-and-science-of-being-charismatic

Vocabulary Top 10:

ooze - to show a quality, emotion, etc. very clearly or strongly

convey - to make (something) known to someone; to communicate something

charm - a quality that causes someone or something to be very likeable : an attractive quality

exemplify - to be a very good example of (something) : to show (something) very clearly

fundraising - activity done to collect money for a political party, charity, school, etc.

venture capital - money that is used to start a new business, especially one with risks

get backed - become supported by a particular group, organization, etc.;

free ride - special treatment that involves giving away something that is valuable or expensive

imperceptible - impossible to see or notice

integrity - the quality of being honest and fair

Can you think of other people who are charismatic?

Do you think you can learn to be charismatic?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I think of charisma, I usually think of the most genuine form of it, the visionary kind of; at least that's how I come up with the idea of this feature.
    In my experience of life, though, I can't say if I have ever come across such kind of human's trait.
    It's maybe more common to find the authoritative charisma, embodied by officers or persons in power who, now and again, quite boring be said, get in your way.
    It's also the case with my boss, or, more precisely, my firm's personnel manager.
    Not that he usually takes up his office's room and position; neither does him take the pose of standing as a fierce gorilla intimating their ' inferior employees ' off and working hard at their own workplaces.
    I also suppose he never attended martial arts' classes, in order to increase his self-confidence, together with rising his awe-inspiring bearing.
    Nevertheless, I have good reasons to suppose his authoritative charisma just stems as a secondary, ordinary branch from something much more solid, firm, really charismatic in a way: the contract of employment.
    Therefore, my personnel manager's supposed charisma is rather our contract's one we all experience second-hand. He's just a third party getting in between us employees and our signed contract.
    I don't trust such kind of charisma at all; to me it's just a fake kind of.

Generally speaking, I think charisma is really so, on condition it's closely followed by consistent facts; that's why I can't number most politicians among charismatic people. Their speeches are just piles of rhetoric and deceitful poses.

I think many writers, scientists and researchers can have visionary charisma; but, unfortunately they often are replaced, on TV screens, by much more friendly, warm, popular cooks.

That's why, usually, in order to encounter charismatic people I often have to rely on books.
    I lately read a novel by a writer whom absolutely rate as a charismatic person.
    Although I suppose it difficult to have him on TV screen these days, I think much of his thought could be applied to our present time too; although written at middle 1800s, its charisma influenced my present points of view.
    I'm speaking of ' The man who laughs ' by Victor Hugo. Higly recommended reading, altough a bit old-fashioned in its plot.

BTW I haven't understood the meaning of the term ' free ride ' which you list in your ' Vocabulary Top 10 ', @NatashaT; since I can't find it in my dictionary, could you write down an exemplificatory sentence to help me out ?
    Give me a free ride to it. :);)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,130 Teacher
    Interesting post, @filauzio - I´ll have to reread it later when my brain is a little more awake to respond to some of your comments further ;)

But for now, here´s a sentence using ´free ride´, inspired by your post:
    - You might be the boss´s son, but you shouldn´t expect a free ride in this company.

Another example which might make it even clearer:
    - In group assignments at university, there are always some students who put in all the work, and some who get a free ride.

If you still need some help, let me know!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @NatashaT, now I've got it ! Its idea behind sounds like ' a free meal ' :D;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !