Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 18 December 2017 - Romania´s love for garlic

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 931 Teacher
We read an article explaining why Romanians love garlic:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20171026-why-romanians-are-obsessed-with-garlic

Vocabulary Top 10:

lore/folklore - traditional knowledge, beliefs, and stories that relate to a particular place, subject, or group

livestock - farm animals (such as cows, horses, and pigs) that are kept, raised, and used by people

ward off - to avoid being hit by (something)

remote - far away from other people, houses, cities, etc.

smear - to spread (something) over a surface, often in an untidy way

tripe - the stomach of an animal (such as a cow or ox) that is eaten as food

passed on - died: used as a polite way to avoid saying the word “die”

apotropaic - supposedly having the power to turn away evil influences or bad luck

leitmotif - something (such as a short piece of music, an idea, or a phrase) that is repeated many times throughout an opera, book, story, etc.

syncretism - the combination of different forms of belief or practice

Do you use garlic a lot?
Do you use it just in food, or do you also use it in other ways?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,505 mod
    I use garlic a lot in food.
    More than onions, actually.
    I think you can't avoid garlic in the most of meal or snack recipes, but you can't avoid admitting that you have eaten it. The garlic will betray you. :)
    My brother in law used to take garlic capsules as a dietary supplement.
    I think it will make you feel better, healthier; just like me now, taking a tea spoon of honey every morning.
    Do I feel healthier? Maybe, but is it really because of that honey?
    As long as it doesn't make me ill, why not. :D
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The article cited the Romanian ruler Vlad Tepes; as long as I can remember he was a real historical person used to impale his enemies.
    Well, writing about garlic, that's exactly my inner feeling after having eaten this plant cooked in dishes: I feel like my stomach is being impaled.
    Apart from jokes, I know garlic can be very good for your health, just like a medicine.
    If I'm not wrong garlic can help you with blood pressure, lowering it.
    Therefore, like any medicines worth the names, it brings a well characterized side effect, in particular by affecting your breath.
    Then, it's no surprise at all that, based on local traditions and beliefs, it's supposed to have an apotropaic effect on evil spirits, be them ' strigoi ' or vampires.
    By the way, the word ' strigoi ' spells similarly to the Italian word ' strega/e ' which means witch, the evil woman who casts spells on you.
    As long as such evil spirits embody the sense of smell, in fact, they will certainly run away for their life, along with your friends and relatives.
    In Italy, in particular in Tuscany, a region in the central part of the peninsula, we have a traditional food made up of a slice of toasted bread, smeared on the top side with a thin layer of garlic, then covered with pieces of fresh chopped tomatoes.
    It results in a very tasty savoury food.
    Nevertheless, I can't say whether the garlic represents the leitmotif ingredient in our traditional cuisine too; most probably, anyhow, not to the extent it is so in Romania.
    When I read of such a dish as tripe cooked with garlic, I thought that in that case maybe it's difficult to decide whom to blame for the digestive's struggle; whether the tripe or the garlic itself.
    Perhaps, I can acknowledge it would be a clear case of stomach obstructive syncretism.
    Let me just fill the tripe's tube with garlic's cloves, and hang it all at the outer door: just in case a vampire would think to come over.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !