Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 19 December 2017 - Losing a job because of a social media post

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 996 Teacher
We read the story of a woman who lost her job because of a post she made on Facebook:

http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-41851771

Vocabulary Top 10:

work (his/her) way up - to achieve a better position within the organization you work for

all dressed up - to put on or wear formal clothes

elated - very happy and excited

summon - to order (someone) to come to a place

demotion - to change the rank or position of (someone) to a lower or less important one

from the word go - from the beginning

signed off - to be told to stop doing your work or a similar activity for a period of time for a specific reason

blossom - to change, grow, and develop fully

sack - (verb) to dismiss someone from a job

chaplain - a priest or other Christian religious leader who performs religious services for a private group (such as a prison, hospital, school, etc) or military group (such as the army)

Do you think she should have lost her job?
Does your workplace have strict rules about what you can post on social media about your work?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,708 mod
    holiday-glitter, natasha
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think she should have lost her job.
    In the first place because due to her professionalism she had made it to render the residential care home environment a better place for residents to live in.
    She had come up with the idea of weekly performances to take place every Friday night.
    On those occasions, both the staff and the elderly or vulnerable people rejoiced together by singing and dancing.
    They revelled and kept singing along to one another; to such a point that all was a great joy that even persons with great physical and mental disorders, such as persons with the Down's syndrome, perhaps, felt as if nothing was bad or abnormal with them.
    Could you think of anything more moving and heart-warming than spotting mentally deficient persons share in their eyes the same feeling of happiness as yours ?
    The all story reminds me of the 1975 American movie ' One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ' starring Jack Nicholson.
    The plot, as I remember, is about a man, Nicholson's character, who, pretending to be mad, after being find guilty of a crime, is being secluded in a lunatic asylum.
    Here, he, by his cleverness and quick wits, step by step, makes it to win the trust and friendship of a number of the residents.
    At one point he also, with an expedient, has them outside the fence and manages to drive them, at breakneck speed, to the seaside where to embark them on a boat and all rejoyce an all day fishing.
    The apotheosis, though, occurs when they manage to organize a revelry party where to drink and dance with two unembarrassed and uninhibited women, friends to the main character.
    How all that did end ? Nicholson's character was punished for his sort of ' gross misconduct ', but not as you would punish an employer, since he were formally a resident.
    Nevertheless, he too had breached the rules of the structure, out of a push to do something good for the unfortunate others.
    He was given a hopelessly disabling dose of electroshock.

Back to the real story, what if posting the picture on Facebook had finally won the residential care home an excellent rather than bad universal reputation ?
    Who knows if they should have rather awarded her a wage increase and a career's progression for making known worldwide the innovative way of taking care of vulnerable people ?
    By this way of proceeding, by firing her, the company had eaten the cake without paying the bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Flew_Over_the_Cuckoo's_Nest_(film)

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 996 Teacher
    Thank you very much @april ! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    april said:

holiday-glitter, natasha

Can't do any better than just quote and join @april to wish you @NatashaT all the best for this final stretch of 2017 and start of 2018.

Enjoy your Holiday !!! :D

http://www.animatedimages.org/img-animated-fireworks-image-0003-97031.htm
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Thank you @filauzio ! All the best to you too! :)
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    I join April & Filauzio words, I thank you for all the sessions of 2017 and wish you a very happy and successful 2018.

I came to know that you'll be in vacation up to 19th Jan! Emmm, it's quite long for me ;)

Our lovely @NatashaT, I hope you enjoy your vacation and have the best of it. see you soon :)
    Thank you @Just-Learn ! I hope you have a wonderful 2018 too. I´m having a great vacation!

Actually... I won´t be back home until the 19th of January, but I will run a few sessions before then ;) Check the calendar!