Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 9 January 2018 - Making non profits accountable

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 996 Teacher
We read an article about how we, as donors, can make non profit organisations accountable for how they use the money they receive:

https://theconversation.com/how-donors-can-help-make-nonprofits-more-accountable-85927

Vocabulary Top 10:

wind down - to end gradually

Sr & Jr - abbreviations for ´senior´ and ´junior´; usually used to distinguish between a father and son who have the same exact names e.g. John Smith Sr and John Smith Jr

opportunism - someone who tries to get an advantage or something valuable from a situation without thinking about what is fair or right

crackdown - a serious attempt to punish people for doing something that is not allowed : an increased effort to enforce a law or rule

gravy train - something (such as a business or a government program) that provides money to many people without requiring much work or effort

tuition - money that is paid to a school for the right to study there

watchdog - a person or organization that makes sure that companies, governments, etc., are not doing anything illegal or wrong

due diligence - an investigation of a business or person prior to signing a contract, or an act with a certain standard of care

vulnerable - open to attack, harm, or damage; easily hurt or harmed physically, mentally, or emotionally

rescind - to end (a law, contract, agreement, etc.) officially : to say officially that (something) is no longer valid

If you were going to donate money to a charity, would you check first to see how they use the money?
Do you think that people aren´t donating to non profits anymore because they are worried about how they are really using the money?

Comments

• saraalsaraal Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Hi Natasha,
    Our family prefer to give the money directly to the how is need it, not because we are worried, but we know people they need it and they can’t take from charity, and it need due diligence to donate
  • Just-LearnJust-Learn Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Natasha, I do usually check and I prefer to see how they usually spend the money.

I am one of these who doesn't trust non profits charities, I see some signs that lead me to suspect them, and I believe that it's my duty to do the due diligence before donation as in the first place, my aim is to help so I have to do some efforts to reach that aim.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose anyone who are going to give their money to charities trust them, even if it means to stretch their credulity to the utmost of naivety:

' Gosh, they are so altruistic, selfless people, totally dedicating their lives on behalf of unfortunate ones ! I even came up with the idea perhaps the sum I've managed to put aside for my vacation's expenses would be worth spending for the cause... oh my god how good a person I am as well... I feel so relieved... my heart bulging with the universal love for the others in need... '

How sentimental are the words written in the leaflet you pull out of the envelope; a bit less sentimental, rather really prosaic, even sometimes strictly demanding, on the contrary, are the words printed on the bank form asking for the money offer.

I suppose that many charities carry on a very important, serious work to help others in difficulty, but that doesn't mean dishonest ones might appear among them in disguise: how can you spot them ? Quite difficult activity.

I tend to distrust charities whose accountants outnumber labourers who smear their hands on the field, whether in refugees' swampy camps, or flooded areas, or even labs.
    I usually smell a rat when much of the donors' money is used in costly advertising campaigns.
    I go cautious when charities claim they need your spare change to ' save the world '. ( wow, I feel as if I'm being put on the throne if I comply just to empty my pockets ).
    Then they use to address you directly: ' .. in this last year we've got closer to the target, but now in order to grasp it we need YOUR help, dear Filauzio ... ' . How does it come they've got my name ? I mean among the billion of people who go smombies all over the planet ?
    Let alone the fact sometimes charities not only deal with suffering people, they often take on the goal to support and rescue any living being in need:
    ' ... thanks to your supportive help, millions of trees will resume photosynthesis, thousands of vipers will keep crawling in the bush, lying in ambush, hundreds of mosquitoes will be back thriving by feeding on bare-legged rain-forest travellers.. '.

Maybe, I think genuine charities are just those which are set up in the wake of a catastro phe, do their work locally and humbly without trumpeting their merit, collect just as much of the money as they deserve for their mission.
    Whenever there happens they hit the deadline and have carried all through, then, they can use the little remaining money to toast the ended emergency.

That could finally provide it: a foolproof donation.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !