Hello.

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Learn English in September

AM/PM Session - 23 January 2018 - Traditional diets fighting modern illnesses

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,362 Teacher
We read an article explaining how a return to traditional diets could help us eat more nutritiously and avoid illness while protecting the environment:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/feb/03/indigenous-diets-fight-modern-illnesses

Vocabulary Top 10:

diet - the food that a person or animal usually eats (we normally think of the meaning ' the kind and amount of food that a person eats for a certain reason, such as to improve health or to lose weight' but it's not used in this way in this article)

advocacy - the act or process of supporting a cause or proposal : the act or process of advocating something

counter - (verb) to do something in defense or in response to something

at stake - in a position to be lost or gained

comprise - to be made up of something; to include or consist of something

nomadic - a member of a group of people who move from place to place instead of living in one place all the time

millet - a type of grass that is grown for its seeds which are used as food

marginalised - someone in a powerless or unimportant position within a society or group

paddy - a wet field where rice is grown

push on - to force someone to accept something

Do you think you eat more traditional food for your area, or a more Westernised diet?
What are the traditional foods from your region?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,389 mod
    edited January 2018
    "Waktu potong padi" a song about working in the paddy field, harvesting paddy.
    It's in Indonesian language.
    Rice is traditional food in Indonesia.

• NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,362 Teacher
    It sounds like a very romantic song for a song about work, @april ! I'm guessing that padi = paddy; what does 'waktu potong' mean?
  • BassaBassa Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,
    I think I eat amost always typical food of my area, I'm also fortunate beacause I've the possbility to change different regions of my country for work and often it happens to eat something typical...

Actually I don't believe in westernised diets, I believe just this :
    With the welfare and globalisation nowadays people abuse of food...Who like meat, always meat, who like vegetables, only vegetables.... a lot of stereotips, intollerances, allergics...
    Simply, our ancestors or granfathers, ate seasonality foods; beacause if you want to eat strawberries in winter you can but this is not natural not normal actually...almost surely those strawberries will be GMO....
    So I think a lot of problems born and related to what we are eating maybe might be solved in a part asking ourself: What I'm really eating ??

One special traditional food of my region but I think I've alerady said of it in a past lesson is "FRICO" :)... that is like a salad cake made of potatoes, onions and Montasio cheese :)
    NatashaT said:

It sounds like a very romantic song for a song about work, @april ! I'm guessing that padi = paddy; what does 'waktu potong' mean?

@NatashaT , so you can guess what people are doing on the field; not only working. :)
    Waktu means during, potong= cut, in this context it means harvesting.
    Padi is indeed rice plant.
    I agree with @Bassa .
    In developed countries people modify always food because we need more, better colour, better taste and it should be profitable too.
    So, does traditional food we eat here still have the same magical power as food that indigenous peoples eat?
    A lot of other factors play a decisive role for the quality of our diet too, like the polution of the air and ground.

One word that gets my attention in the article is "ironic".
    But I know, I always sound pessimistic and I decided not to write down my concerns here. :)
  • ManuManu Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Bassa: we've lost the connection to seasonable foods and have grown even more keen to taste the seemingly local food but coming up with the wrong timing.
    They are probably vegetables and fruits grown in the artificial environment provided by the greenhouses.
    @Bassa cited the strawberries in winter: right, and what about the summer-tied zucchini ?
    Another trend is the boom of exotic fruits which, only just a decade or so ago, didn't lie in our local supermarket's shelves.
    This is quite the opposite to eat traditional, local, seasonable foods; that's rather the apotheosis of the idea of eating whatever you like, whenever you like, no limit ever being imposed on your imagination, neither a reasonable higher expense.
    That's where a doubt comes to my mind: the relative cheapness of exotic food.
    I mean is it possible that a similar food is cheaper when foreign than when local ?
    I wonder how much either the cost of transport/shipping or the import taxes account for; I suppose it should be far more than the locally manufactured and delivered ones.
    If even with such a cost's gap the exotic food is cheaper, I get confused and grow suspicious.
    It's true, however, that some factors can play a crucial role and make the difference: increased level of mechanized agriculture, state's subsidies, greenhouses' growth.
    Nevertheless, I suppose the final low price can reveal much of the degree to which we are fed parody food, rather than the genuine nutritious one being sought.
    But, well, we in our daily rush maybe tend to prioritize anything but healthy food: that's where indigenous tribal populations might stop us on the threshold of modern lifestyle's craziness: take a step in the wild and accept what nature can offer by time without forcing it.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no doubt that traditional diets are good to health; however, we should not follow these diets blindly. Speaking of my experience, I was interested in eating healthier/clean eating at the start and gradually had become passionate about these diets, such as macrobiotic diet, paleo diet, artisan etc.. However, after ten years strictly carrying out these diets, I inquire myself, do I really become healthier? What's the meaning of it? I mean it has become a trend. Companies sell foods labeled with the names of these diets and these foods became so expensive. Additionally, people who promote these diets hold seminars and kind of hypnotize us, you know, put some beliefs into our minds, we are making a brave new world. I don't mean they are bad people doing the wrong thing. It's just that there are some rats making me change my mind. I mean some of them think they are superior than others just because they're doing these diets.

I mean some people make a great effort to make good food. (you know, chemicals thing) I support them, so I start eating sugar, chocolate, meat, cheese.. and drink coffee. milk etc.. What's more, I stop chasing those fancy foods, just focus on seasonal foods and local foods which are cheaper and healthier.

Please forgive me! I am a bit lazy now, so just let me jump into conclusions. In my opinion, think who you are. If you are Japanese, take your ancestor as a reference. Because I believe your digestive system and the climate are similar. I mean you can't just hear Russian drink vodka to keep their body warm, so you drink it in your country with more higher temperature. No matter what you eat, just don't eat those processed foods, refined foods and foods with chemicals. The point is to eat simply and to avoid eating to excess.
  • KeithmstKeithmst Posts: 2
    Several children may need to learn a new language when their parents relocate to a new country for professional or even personal reasons. While the transition itself may not be an easy process at all,
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 Inactive
    Hello Everyone, I completely agree all of you,in order to stay healthy we must follow the seasonal vegetables,fruits,pulses,cereals and traditional dishes.All good dietitian recommend one should have meals according to their tradition,As mentioned above that our digestion system has copied from our ancestor so our body understand that pattern quite well.Human body is the most sophisticated mechanism on the planet.It has trillions of memory in every cell which behaves according to the DNA.Human body has natural clock which behaves accurately when to eat and how much to eat but our ignorance create problems in our body as we don't take food seriously that result in form of discomfort and later on it becomes a disease.Finally to keep our body active we should follow a routine of having our meals, we must be conscious to eat slowly and chew the food properly.
    Also we should take care while having food don't talk, don't watch TV and don't check your Smart phone.
    At the end have a happy & healthy meal that gives everyone power.