Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 6 February 2018 - Tricks in restaurant menus

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,011 Teacher
We read an article about the ways that menus are designed to influence our ordering decisions:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171120-the-secret-tricks-hidden-inside-restaurant-menus

Vocabulary Top 10:

sombre - having a dull or dark color; very sad and serious

flamboyant - having a very noticeable quality that attracts a lot of attention

tweak - to change (something) slightly in order to improve it : to make small adjustments to (something)

upscale - relating to or appealing to people who have a lot of money (also upmarket)

nudge - to encourage (someone) to do something

make your mouth water - make you want to eat it because it has a very delicious taste or appealing smell

sizzling - making a hissing sound like the sound water makes when it hits hot metal

verbose - using more words than are needed

mercenary - caring only about making money

contrived - having an unnatural or false appearance or quality

Have you noticed any of these tricks on a menu?
How do you usually choose what to order in a restaurant?

Comments

• DiakhaDiakha Posts: 80 ✭✭
    @NatashaT Yeah, and concerning the menu I think they are unnecessarily long, I mean many many items that mean nothing to the client. And I am wondering if they would be able to deliver at any time any of the items of the menu you would choose randomly. So what I do is to ask the waiter to advice me about their specialities or about something I would assume to be interesting in the menu. I can't rely just on the menu.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some days ago there appeared a news on the Italian newspapers, it hit the international headlines too, reporting tourists in Venice being presented with a bill of 1,143 euros.

There were four of them and they had eaten nothing so much expensive.

Their meal consisted of four steaks ' Florentine ', a plate of mixed grilled fish, two glasses of wine and mineral water.

We can imagine there were nothing suited to a king's banquet which could account for such high price.

The trick was maybe done when the victims were presented the credit card payment facility.

I'm wondering what the calculation the businessman did might have been, given the exact price, I suppose, was to be found at no more than 3-400 euros.

The fraud got large publicity; following that, the restaurateur was highly fined.

Critics also blamed the tourists for not being cautious and resulting a bit ingenuous.

I'm wondering if the price of the dishes was clearly written on the menu. Maybe there were no menu at disposal at all.

They were fined for, among others, lack of proper accurate description of the food.

I think that a foreign language can also worsen the interaction between diners and the restaurateur or waiter.

Nevertheless, even when you go to a restaurant in your own town, they can play any kinds of tricks on you: you can't know if the meat or fish are fresh or frozen, for instance.

I suppose you should check websites as Tripadvisor for previous customers' feedback, before venturing into any unknown place where they pretend to be serving eatable food.

You could turn out finding your chef is a bricklayer in disguise. ( I experienced that during my year's serving in the army :D ).

In general I suppose you often lower your defense while entering a restaurant; you just want to revel in the company of your friends or also just with your partner.

You have chosen a cosy place, the atmosphere is right, you feel well, so nothing can spoil all that.

You take hold of the menu; your eyes scan the page lingering on it just the time a radioactive tracer substance would light up in diagnostic imaging: just like lightning.

No verbose descriptive title, nor italics typeface, nor colour or prices by the cents could do it to stick you to that heavy, leather-bound hurdle to your getting the face of your friend or partner who is starting to cheer up in front of you.

You sigh and smile at each other, you are enjoying being together, that's all.

Life's great moments are too important to let dishonest people to spoil them with vile scams.

Just let, those who are rubbing their hands behind the door of the kitchen, to think they are really clever persons, who always go by: ' you're done once more '.

The more harmful slamming door lies in the disappointed customer's mind. They perhaps get up with appreciative attitude on their face, but that's just what you expect in polite social interactions.

Only take a look around the corner.
    Maybe groups of potential diners are deserting you and having picnics by the river bank.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/25/venice-restaurant-overcharged-tourists-fines-osteria-da-lhttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/25/venice-restaurant-overcharged-tourists-fines-osteria-da-lucauca

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !